Hi/CycletoWork scheme question

absv
absv Posts: 149
edited April 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi,

Just joined the forum. not sure if this is the right place to say hi? While I'm here does anyone know if you can go to any CycleScheme shop or do you have to stick to the one your employer says?

Looking for a hardtail, not sure on price as it depends if I can get it through cycle scheme but not from Halfords ;)

Comments

• soulfool
    soulfool Posts: 7
    Hey, ive just joined also and have applied for my cyclescheme voucher.

Not sure what youve tried to see what shops you can access, but if you go on to the cyclescheme website and type in youre postcode it will give you a list of shops that can be used in youre area, you can even type in distance parimeters for a wider choice of shops.

AS far as im aware you can use any shop that is registered with the cyclescheme, keeping in mind the further away you go it may become harder to get and try out a bike, get it delivered etc.

Good luck on youre choice, ive found this site extremely helpful in helping decide on a suitable choice. :D
  • bbug
    bbug Posts: 83
    absv wrote:
    Hi,

Looking for a hardtail, not sure on price as it depends if I can get it through cycle scheme but not from Halfords ;)

Hello,

I've just finished paying for my C2W bike, :D which was bought from Wheelies in Swansea. My employer specified them as a supplier and we all had to go through them. They came to our factory with a roadshow of bikes for us to try so we wren't buying blind. It worked out quite well for most people, but in my case I had a problem with my back brake,which they didn't really sort out. I had to go to a local bike shop to get it fixed.

So when you say "not from Halfords" I would say, if they've got a bike that you like, and reading these fora they do have some good deals, you might be better to go through them than through a mail-order company. When we asked Wheelies about a first service, their response was, "All our bikes are checked and serviced proir to delivery and don't need one" and basically, to get lost.

Going through Halfords, if they've got what you want, you may be lucky and get one of the good stores with people that know what they're doing. If you're unlucky, you'd be no worse off than we've been.

Lu
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Cycle to Work is not the same thing as Cyclescheme. Cyclescheme is a specific company that works with local bike shops - if your employer uses them, then you can use virtually any LBS (but not Halfords, Evans, Wiggle).

If your company uses Halfords then its Halfords plus a few other shops (like Condor, Leisure Lakes).

If its Evans / Wheelies / Wiggle etc, then it is only the specified shop.

Or your employer doesn't need to use any of these companies, then the world is your oyster.

So the answer to your question is to do with what Cycle to Work scheme provider your employer has signed up for - find that out first.
  • absv
    absv Posts: 149
    alfablue wrote:
    Cycle to Work is not the same thing as Cyclescheme. Cyclescheme is a specific company that works with local bike shops - if your employer uses them, then you can use virtually any LBS (but not Halfords, Evans, Wiggle).

If your company uses Halfords then its Halfords plus a few other shops (like Condor, Leisure Lakes).

Or your employer doesn't need to use any of these companies, then the world is your oyster.

So the answer to your question is to do with what Cycle to Work scheme provider your employer has signed up for - find that out first.

Thanks for that AlphaBlue, cleared a few things up. I've spoken to the people at work and I do have to buy from Halfords but if I speak to head office I can buy other makes than the usual Halfords range.

After speaking to the guy at Halfords too I think I have a rpice around £550ish so I've been looking at the following:

Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc £350-400ish
    Carrera Fury £550
    Boardman MTB Sport £550

Any comments on the above, the guy from Halfords said the Boardman is much better than the Fury for the price...is he right or talking rubbish?

Thanks,
    Andy
  • Ben GT
    Ben GT Posts: 25
    With the cycle2work scheme it is mainly independent bike stores- wihich include some online shops so have a good look around.

I did alot of research into bike before i got it and got it from the place I wanted in the end. My price was not fixed on the bike either- I told the shop i got it from that the shop down the road had offered me 10% of the value of the bike in accessories free so to beat it they gave me 10% of the value of the bike in accessories and 10% off the cost. I could of pushed further too but felt mean!
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    absv wrote:
    alfablue wrote:

Thanks for that AlphaBlue, cleared a few things up. I've spoken to the people at work and I do have to buy from Halfords but if I speak to head office I can buy other makes than the usual Halfords range.

After speaking to the guy at Halfords too I think I have a rpice around £550ish so I've been looking at the following:

Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc £350-400ish
    Carrera Fury £550
    Boardman MTB Sport £550

Any comments on the above, the guy from Halfords said the Boardman is much better than the Fury for the price...is he right or talking rubbish?

Thanks,
    Andy
    Boardmans are quality. Remember that your C2W voucher has to over the cost of the bike - Halfords are unlikely to allow you to top-up. They wouldn't for me anyway.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Boardmans are very good, but I'd pick the Fury over the BM Sport.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."