About to purchase a Giant Defy 4

Ravinder15
Ravinder15 Posts: 42
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi,

Had some excellent advice on here yesterday, I was contemplating buying a Giant Rapid 4 untill several helpful people on here advised on the problems of a flat bar road bike and I have now been convinced that a proper Road Bike with drop bars is the best solution for my requirements.

I Had a road test on a Defy 4 today and really liked the ride and it felt fast.

I also tested the Specialized Sirrus flat bar bike and didn't like it as much.

Think I'm gonna order the Defy 4, just thinking of adding some cyclocross style brakes to it so if i'm riding in an upright position my hands are in close proximity to the brakes.

Do you think the Giant Defy is a good choice (it's at the top of my budget £475)

Do you think the idea of the cyclo cross style brakes is worth considering.

Thanks for your help

Rav :D

Comments

• FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    Giant Defy = Great Idea! Love my 2009 2.5
    CX brakes = I don't think you'll need them. I find I mainly ride "on the hoods" and can use the brakes perfectly well from there.
    us0.png
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Ravinder15 wrote:
    Do you think the Giant Defy is a good choice (it's at the top of my budget £475)

Do you think the idea of the cyclo cross style brakes is worth considering.

Yes. Most road bikes at this price range will be of fairly good quality. More important that the sizing is right for you.

No, you can operate the brakes with your hands on the hoods. Majority of people ride in this position.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,365
    Check out the Ribble Winter Trainer/Audax before you pull the trigger on the Defy 4
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I have the secondary brakes on my Tricross (CX) bike and hardly ever use them. I tend to ride with my hands covering the brakes anyway and rarely need to use more than 2 or 3 fingers to brake properly
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I came from mountain biking and it was a bit of a shock but I mostly ride on the hoods unless theres a head wind or I want to make as rapid progress as possible and have very quickly adapted to the brakes, and have learnt to look far ahead to to minimise speed loss and braking for no reason.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    edited April 2010
    Check out the Ribble Winter Trainer/Audax before you pull the trigger on the Defy 4

Stop confusing the poor guy! :D

Like I said, I doubt you would get a crap bike at this price range if you stick with the established brands. It's not like you'll go 10mph faster on one road bike compared to another road bike at the same price bracket. If you can get a sale bike with an upgraded groupset, even better. At the end of the day, go with what you like and don't worry too much about whether the next one is better. The chances are if you catch the cycling bug you'll end up with n+1 bikes anyway :wink:
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    Good plan, the Defy is a decent bike.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    You don't need cyclocross brakes and your desire for them is indicative of the leap from flat bar style brakes to drop bar. I had the same thing.

You will get used to drop bar brakes. Ride on the hoods, use your fingers to cover the brakes. It's also to effectively shift gear given the sora style shifters. Use the drops when decsending demands it.

I prefer road bike brakes and levers, they don't stop as well but you can control your speed better because they slow the tyres and are hard to skid.

Also, first rule of braking, anticipation.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • kelsen wrote:

Stop confusing the poor guy! :D

Like I said, I doubt you would get a crap bike at this price range if you stick with the established brands. It's not like you'll go 10mph faster on one road bike compared to another road bike at the same price bracket. If you can get a sale bike with an upgraded groupset, even better. At the end of the day, go with what you like and don't worry too much about whether the next one is better. The chances are if you catch the cycling bug you'll end up with n+1 bikes anyway :wink:

Thanks Kelsen I've been more than enough confused making this decision!

Rav :?
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    You don't need cyclocross brakes and your desire for them is indicative of the leap from flat bar style brakes to drop bar. I had the same thing.

You will get used to drop bar brakes. Ride on the hoods, use your fingers to cover the brakes. It's also to effectively shift gear given the sora style shifters. Use the drops when decsending demands it.

I prefer road bike brakes and levers, they don't stop as well but you can control your speed better because they slow the tyres and are hard to skid.

Also, first rule of braking, anticipation.

Thanks DonDaddyD,

Your advice yesterday really helped me go for the Defy 4 opposed to the Rapid 4.

I won't bother with the extra brakes now, just had to double check with you all first!

Thanks to you all for really helpful advice.

• Paul E
    Go forth, purchase, ride and be happy....
  • DonDaddyD
    Not sure about the ribble frames - Not sayign they are bad.

Giant Defy is a fine bike.

Also at £475, I think you are pretty much getting the best value for money for bike + groupset) online bikes like Ribble not withstanding.

Also, remember things like pedals, helmet, paded shorts and jersey's. Don't be afraid to post and get involved on here asking advice and all that. Once that bike is in your possession a whole new World will open up to you.

Oh and pictures we must see the new bike or it didn't happen. :wink:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    Paul E wrote:

... and start saving for the n+1
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • Paul E
    holybinch wrote:
    Paul E wrote:

... and start saving for the n+1

Is it wrong I have been looking at my next bike????
  • FeynmanC
    Paul E wrote:

Define "wrong" :wink:
    us0.png
  • tailwindhome
    Go for the Giant Defy 4.

All I'm saying is for an extra £40 for the Ribble you're getting Sora instead of 2200, it's worth a look before pulling the trigger. TBF I've never ridden one but they sell plenty and I've yet to read a bad comment.

Teehee

That said you'll not go wrong with any bike of that price from the main brands.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Paul E
    FeynmanC wrote:
    Paul E wrote:

Define "wrong" :wink:

My current bikes might get jealous and I dont have anymore room for another, although that could be solved by leaving my mountain bike at my best mates in south west Scotland where I use it mostly now anyway, I sense a plan forming
  • tailwindhome
    Go the extra £100 and you're looking at stepping up to the significantly better Tiagra

I'll stop now
  • FeynmanC
    Go the extra £100 and you're looking at stepping up to the significantly better Tiagra

It was thinking like that that cost me an extra £100 this time last year ;)
    us0.png
  • FeynmanC wrote:

It was thinking like that that cost me an extra £100 this time last year ;)

Nonsense, it's delaying purchasing which costs you money. If my work's cycle to work scheme had started when it was planned, I would have plumped £279 on a Fuji hybrid. Due to a six week delay, I ended up spending £600 on a divine road bike. Go only knows what I'd be spending now ;)

Moral of this story, erm, I don't know. If I'd bought the hybrid it would have saved me money, but I'd really, really want a road bike by now, so I'd probably get an expensive one, which would cost me more. Erm.

Just buy the Defy! :)
  • Go for the Giant Defy 4.

All I'm saying is for an extra £40 for the Ribble you're getting Sora instead of 2200, it's worth a look before pulling the trigger. TBF I've never ridden one but they sell plenty and I've yet to read a bad comment.

Teehee

Thanks TailWindHome,

The Specs look very good but I want to get something from a LBS for afetr sales service etc and I get to try before I buy with my LBS.
    Appreciate the heads up on the Ribble though looks like a cracking Bike.

• the_prophet
    the_prophet Posts: 426
    glad to hear your going for the defy ;) wont be disapointed.

get some pics up when you pick it up
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Ravinder15 wrote:
    Go for the Giant Defy 4.

Teehee

Thanks TailWindHome,

The Specs look very good but I want to get something from a LBS for afetr sales service etc and I get to try before I buy with my LBS.
    Appreciate the heads up on the Ribble though looks like a cracking Bike.

Make sure it's a decent LBS, or you may be better doing maintenance and repairs yourself, so ordering online may not necessarily be a bad thing.

I agree on the Ribble option - Sora would be OK but I would rather Tiagra, mainly for the ability to change gear when on the drops, which I use a lot. Having said that I think the Defy is a great option for the money.

Oh, and regarding top brake levers - I have them on my Tricross, used them a lot initially when I moved from the hybrid, however I hardly use them now unless I'm feeling lazy. I would give it a few weeks with standard road levers, then if you can't get used to them maybe give it a go. Bet you won't bother though.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Not sure about the ribble frames - Not saying they are bad.

Giant Defy is a fine bike.

Also, remember things like pedals, helmet, padded shorts and jersey's. Don't be afraid to post and get involved on here asking advice and all that.

Oh and pictures we must see the new bike or it didn't happen. :wink:

Thanks DonDaddyD,

The Defy 4 comes with pedals with toe clips, what alternative pedals would you recommend as I'm not sure I would like those for commuting to work.

• DonDaddyD
    I'm Not a fan of toeclips.

What pedals is as hot a topic as whether the wear a helmet, red light jumping, Campagnolo or Shimano, steel, titanium or carbon and what bike.

It is met with both sensible and measured opinion, idiocy and fanatic brand loyalty. All of which is grounded in some justifiable logic of some degree.

There are a number of pedals. Some people would argue flats are most suitable when commuting, I'd argue they have a point. They diminish the sexiness of the bike though.

Clipless is where you're heading. These are when you engage a cleat (attached to the shoe) to a pedal and gives you the ability to apply force all the way through your pedal stroke, making pedalling more efficient (some people will be surprised I know this).

The disengage action (removing the shoe from the pedal) will be tricky at first and nearly everyone has a clipless moment (where they fall over because they can't get there foot out of the pedal before the bike stops) so perhaps practice on a quiet road when you first get them. (I once fell over in my garden on top of the lawn mower, then onto the kerb of the side road and once on a main road - the need to get up quick or roll off the road is essential).

The decision on what pedals will also determine what shoes you buy, mountain bike shoes, whose soles make it easier to walk in than road shoes (as a general rule, their are exceptions) won't take certain cleat/pedal systems.

Of the pedals that will be mentioned there are:

SPD-SL
    Time i-click
    Look Keo
    Egg beaters
    Speedplay
    SPD

(Personal preference normally determines what's best).

If you go clipless (as listed above) you will need the appropriate shoes.

Set aside at least £50 for the shoes.

You may also need:

Helmet
    Sun glasses
    Padded lycra shorts, 3/4 lengths or tights
    Cycling jersey
    Jacket - (Water resistant, water proof often doesn't allow the skin to breath)
    Mitts, full length gloves or thick winter bad boys when the weather

Innertubes,
    tyre levers,
    handpump
    track pump
    allen keys
    lights

If you're the 'man up type' and intend to ride throughout winter you may also need to consider:

Base layer, full length jersey, full length tights - as the weather demands.

Most importantly, buy the bike, ride it, love it. Sink deeper into the hobby as your enthusiasm demands.
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'm Not a fan of toeclips.

What pedals is as hot a topic as whether the wear a helmet, red light jumping, Campagnolo or Shimano, steel, titanium or carbon and what bike.

It is met with both sensible and measured opinion, idiocy and fanatic brand loyalty. All of which is grounded in some justifiable logic of some degree.

There are a number of pedals. Some people would argue flats are most suitable when commuting, I'd argue they have a point. They diminish the sexiness of the bike though.

Clipless is where you're heading. These are when you engage a cleat (attached to the shoe) to a pedal and gives you the ability to apply force all the way through your pedal stroke, making pedalling more efficient (some people will be surprised I know this).

The disengage action (removing the shoe from the pedal) will be tricky at first and nearly everyone has a clipless moment (where they fall over because they can't get there foot out of the pedal before the bike stops) so perhaps practice on a quiet road when you first get them. (I once fell over in my garden on top of the lawn mower, then onto the kerb of the side road and once on a main road - the need to get up quick or roll off the road is essential).

The decision on what pedals will also determine what shoes you buy, mountain bike shoes, whose soles make it easier to walk in than road shoes (as a general rule, their are exceptions) won't take certain cleat/pedal systems.

Of the pedals that will be mentioned there are:

SPD-SL
    Time i-click
    Look Keo
    Egg beaters
    Speedplay
    SPD

(Personal preference normally determines what's best).

If you go clipless (as listed above) you will need the appropriate shoes.

Set aside at least £50 for the shoes.

You may also need:

Helmet
    Sun glasses
    Padded lycra shorts, 3/4 lengths or tights
    Cycling jersey
    Jacket - (Water resistant, water proof often doesn't allow the skin to breath)
    Mitts, full length gloves or thick winter bad boys when the weather

Innertubes,
    tyre levers,
    handpump
    track pump
    allen keys
    lights

If you're the 'man up type' and intend to ride throughout winter you may also need to consider:

Base layer, full length jersey, full length tights - as the weather demands.

Most importantly, buy the bike, ride it, love it. Sink deeper into the hobby as your enthusiasm demands.

Great advice,

Many thanks for all the great tips, very much appreciated.

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Ravinder15 wrote:
    Hi,

I Had a road test on a Defy 4 today and really liked the ride and it felt fast.

I also tested the Specialized Sirrus flat bar bike and didn't like it as much.

My hero!
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    Please note as well that there are some pedals which offer flats on one side, and spd on the other.
    Wellgo
    Shimano

Quite convenient when you want to be able to pop in the shop/pub while still having the possibility to clip in when wearing your cycling shoes...
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    I love my Defy 2 (09) - I haven't checked the spec's for the 2010 models but if you can afford one with carbon forks and if possible a carbon seatpost it certainly helps in the comfort stakes.

Get fitted correctly, I've just changed my stem from 110mm to 130mm which has made the world of difference!

As said by others, if money allows go for Tiagra (which is on my bike) which is the low end of the decent Shimano range - I'm sure 2200 does the job but I don't like the shifters.

As for pedals, clipless are a revelation - I'll leave the topic of which ones for someone else :wink:

Also - something we may have missed out on. A bike computer - you could really do with one to help complete your SC stats religiously every evening (at least). :D

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • DonDaddyD
    If you can I would really, strongly, insist and abolutely advise stretching to the Defy 3.5

Seriously. Carbon Fork. Clear up that road buzz on the hands. Seriously.
    Food Chain number = 4