sore back

chopperHarris
chopperHarris Posts: 119
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
So the last couple of months the base of my spine seem to be getting more and more painfull, my commute in is fine but the commute home again is a killer on my back for the last 4 or so miles, i get to the point where i am trying to sit up as much as possible.

5 mins after i get home it feels fine again, hence why i have not yet rushed to the docs!

Should I

A: Buy a flat bared road bike instead of my drops (cant see this making a difference)
B: Go see the doc and/or a chiropractor (is that how you spell it)
C: Buy a Susupension seat post or some other form of thing that will help my back
D: Go to a decent bike shop and have my bike fitted to me (keep thinking perhaps my seat is to high or the like)
E: MTFU and stop whining like a beitch
08 Felt Compulsion 2 SE
09 Corratec S-light
10 Giant Defy 2

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    A bike fit will help significantly, as will building up your core strength. Don't buy a flat bar, and definitely don't buy a suspension seatpost.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    D then E.. agreed with the core strength as well

on the ride you can relax your core by straightening your arms and riding on the flat parts for a while... that might help in the meantime (but only on the nice stretches of road where hazards are at a minimum)
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Yeah what has been said a bike fit will help, I was told a while ago by an old mountain biking mate that building up your core, doing sit ups etc means your leg muscles are able to ride against a more stable platform which stresses your back less and it also makes you stronger and faster as well as being more efficient, worked for me, just beed to get back to doing the situps again.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    or

F: Get a recumbent
  • Ok bike fit first then, will see if my LBS to home do something, if not will see if one of the local stores to work will do anything

for ref: i do spend probably 80-90% of the time with my hands on the hoods, rest of the time im on the flats, very rarely use the drops but am trying to more.

I have a pair of shagged wrists (lots of pins and plates) from a motorcycle accident 8 years ago so tend to move my hands around quite a lot to stop any pain etc

As for the recumbent, ermmmm no.
    08 Felt Compulsion 2 SE
    09 Corratec S-light
    10 Giant Defy 2
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,417
    D, Definitely. And as Whyamihere points out, look at some core strength exercises. It's quite easy to have weak core muscles without realising if you sit at a desk all day, then take you weight on your arms when riding. In the meantime, it's pretty easy to adjust the saddle fore and aft, to see if it might be a case of reaching too far forward.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Ok situps added to the list as well, i do need to tighten my gut a bit, the six pack turned into a barrel a long time ago!

As for the bike, i bought it second hand and guessed the size would be ok (58) am 6ft tall, 30" inside leg, will defo try and get a proper fitting done as i am off after today for the rest of the week.
    08 Felt Compulsion 2 SE
    09 Corratec S-light
    10 Giant Defy 2
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    D.

But before you do that, try stretching your hamstrings after every ride - sore lower backs can often be caused by tight hammies.
  • I have an ongoing lower back issue due to a lifetime of abuse - skiing, snowboarding, kayaking, cycling, and one particularly poor paraglider landing / crash.

I recommend...

1: Get your problem accurately diagnosed. See a doctor / physio / chiropractor (I'm seeing the latter at the moment, the jury is still out. I suspect a physio might be better).

2: Get a bike fit. I did, and it turned out my seat was an inch too high. It also confirmed what I always knew - I have a long torso and short legs (just like you by the sound of it - I'm 6'0", inside leg 32"), so an off the shelf bike will never fit perfectly.

3: Build your core strength. Man up, ignore the girly image, and do a Pilates course.

I can't recommend Pilates enough. I find this is having the best ongoing effect. However I made sure I was in a fit enough state to begin, by getting diagnosed and wrenched back into shape first. Then I made sure my bike wasn't making things any worse.

Don't just do situps - these only work the abs, not the core. Do a course, don't just buy a book or download instructions - will you really know if you're doing it right? A good instructor will ensure you stretch as well - tight hammies are indeed a big contributor to lower back pain.

I now have the odd sore day, but with stronger core muscles (and improved awareness of them) I'm able to sustain a good posture, support my spine better with less effort, and reduce the pain without resorting to medication (which masks the problem and can therefore make it worse!).

I can ski and ride as hard as ever. Harder, even. My paddling is still not quite there. I don't paraglide any more!

Good luck. I genuinely feel your pain. It's a long road (months!) but stick at it.
    When Chuck Norris does division, there are no remainders.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    How high is your saddle?

Lower back pain may be caused by slight over extension causing you to rock your pelvis during each pedal stroke. Tends to be exacerbated when tired - a tired rider tends not to point their toes as much during the pedal stroke.

If you are in any doubt, there are various rule of thumb measures for saddle height. e.g. at full extension (i.e. with the pedal, your hip joint and the bb in alignment) does your heel touch the pedal? Obviously this is only a rule of thumb, as it depends on the shoes you are wearing and the stack height of your pedals etc.

Alternatively, lower your saddle by 2cm and see if it is any better.
  • Yea thats how i set the saddle up, as far as i know its correct, and i dont feel like i am rocking.
    Have booked a bike fitting at the LBS tomorrow so will see how i get on

Thanks for the input from everyone its very much appreciated
    08 Felt Compulsion 2 SE
    09 Corratec S-light
    10 Giant Defy 2
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    +1 for Pilates or Yoga.

I started doing yoga and would recommend it to anyone that cycles. It really helps with control of the breathing too, which has helped my climbing ability I think.
    us0.png
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    I had a similar problem that was solved by fitting a shorter ,flipped stem so i was more upright, a little less aerodynamic but worth it .
    FCN 3/5/9
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    See your Dr or a physiotherapist. don't go to a chiropractor they are (huge sweeping statement) all quacks and do more harm than good IMO. I've used a physio for a couple of injuries, and they've resulted in good long term resolutions.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    rf6 wrote:
    See your Dr or a physiotherapist. don't go to a chiropractor they are (huge sweeping statement) all quacks and do more harm than good IMO. I've used a physio for a couple of injuries, and they've resulted in good long term resolutions.
    A GP will give you aspirin and tell you to stop cycling.
  • CrackFox
    CrackFox Posts: 287
    Possibly a herniated lumbar disc or two? If it's due to your flexibility or your position on the bike wouldn't you expect the pain to be the same for each leg of the journey? Is your commute home noticeably harder/hillier than your commute in? If not, it may be that the combination of several hours of bad posture at a computer followed by your ride home is the trigger for your pain (whereas your ride in the morning follows several hours in a bed where your spine is relaxed). If your job involves sitting at a PC all day then I would look at your position at the desk as much as your position on the bike. By all means get a bike fit, but also speak to your occupational health bods and your GP. If your employer offers private health care, you may be able to get a referral to a physio or a CT scan but you'd probably have to get that referral via your GP.