Winter / all purpose bike thoughts

Mike400
Mike400 Posts: 226
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Strange time to be thinking about this, coming into the summer and all.

My trusty slicked up MTB has carried me to work and back 5 days a week, all weathers for nearly a year. (20mile round trip)

Its the bike that got me back on two wheels, and its helped me shed almost 3 stone, so in a way its a "special" bike to me.

Its used not just for commuting but towing the kids trailer at the weekend, spinning down to the shops, basically its my general use bike.

Removing the rose-tinted glasses though and im left thinking its too heavy, starting to get a bit worn out and doesnt quite fit me properly.

Im in no huge rush to change it, im about to use C2W to buy myself a road bike which will cover most of my summer commuting miles / training (for sportives)

BUT im aware I need to start thinking about next winter. Thankfully its a good 6 months away, so no real rush, but I like to look ahead.

I need something thats tough enough for all year riding, a frame strong enough to tow my kids trailer at the weekends, ability to take mudgaurds and a pannier rack.
I want drop bars, 700c wheels, and I would like discs (the extra stopping power is useful when towing the trailer especially downhill!!)

So far the only bike that seems to tick all the boxes (that Ive seen) is the Kona dew drop. Im 50/50 on the looks but it seems tough enough to cope with the trailer and/or fully laden panniers

I really like the look of the Ribble winter bike, it comes with mudguards (one less thing to buy) BUT no discs and im not sure the frame would take the abuse? Its probably a bit too focused for my needs.

Any ideas? has anyone got a dew drop?
twitter @fat_cyclist

Comments