Tips for eating at work so i can ride 50miles after work...

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Doing 50miles tomorrow evening after work.
Work -> Richmond park 20 miles
Lap of richmond park 7 miles
Richmond park to nursing home in clapham 4ish miles
Nursing home -> home 20 miles

How would you fuel yourself to do this?

Normally that distance is reserved for sunday morning so would have pasta saturday evening, and porridge sunday morning, with bananas, gels and stuff.

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,417
    What sort of cooking/preparation facilities do you have at work? If you have a microwave, then a quick trip to the local supermarket should provide most of what you describe for your Sunday mornings, and could reasonably be prepared at work. large volumes of pasta might be a bit tricky, but a some fresh pasta should work, and porridge is definitely microwaveable (a bit odd for lunch, but why not?). Alternatively, buy a hand-full of large wholemeal rolls, a bag of salad, and what ever other filling suits you and assemble in whatever manner pleases.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Jelly Babies while you are out, one every 15-20 mins will help too to keep you topped up.
  • spasypaddy
    yep got a microwave. So i could just have pasta at 12 for lunch then, mid afternoon snack at at about 3 of porridge.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

That is a cracking idea though Terry! Thanks
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    how about a flask of soup to drink in the afternoon instead of tea or coffee?
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Easter Eggs, at least 2, should keep you going for the 50. :D

Well, it worked for me yesterday, came back with my nutrition bar unopened.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I did 49 on Monday on some squash and a hot cross bun.

Go for the porridge, but have it much closer to your depart time. For fluids rich squash is adequate. 50 miles won't kill you.
  • spasypaddy
    also which is the best entry point to the park coming from the north, and which way should i be going around it?

i was thinking this way round entering at the top right of the image
    richmond.jpg
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I'd say Roehampton Gate (top right on your map).

There's no right or wrong way round. Anti-c/w is regarded as faster, and you have two slopes to power up - Sawyer's and Dark Hills. C/w means you only have to deal with the steeper Broomfield. Try both.

Try some cereal bars and bananas.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • spasypaddy
    whether i have time for a second lap is dependant on whether i have time or energy. I have to get home to Barnet after...
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    Sounds like fun. I'd go for a nice big portion of pasta or large baked potato at lunch, with an energy bar and some fruit in the afternoon, and an energy drink (plus energy bars) for the ride. And make sure you have a decent meal waiting at the finish as well! Good luck!
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • spasypaddy
    yeah energy drinks will be taken on the bike, with back up of gels. i wont be able to eat when i get in, can never eat when i get off the bike so will be having a protein shake or two.