Alternatives around Oxford Street (East to West)

londonbairn
londonbairn Posts: 316
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Last night was probably the worst I have seen Oxford Street in my 18 months or so commuting. It was heaving, and about 101 near misses with lemmings. Got me thinking that I don't want to risk an injury going home down there, or damage to my bike because someone else can't look. I've put up for it for 18 months, but had enough (in that time I was hit by a van)!

What good routes are there to effectively get from the City (I work next to Broadgate Circle) to Marble Arch (I then go onto Kingsway etc which is fine) at that time? I can easily go to a map and pick a few, but would rather get others opinions/experiences.

Comments

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I'd say Mall - Constitution Hill - Park Lane or Hyde Park. Slightly longer but much more pleasant.
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    How about getting down to Fleet Street then doing; Fleet Street > Strand > The Mall > Constitution Hill > Park Lane > Marble Arch?

It's sort of a mash-up of the way I do my commute for the day if I'm off to the gym (which is a bit out of the way as it's in the Docklands, otherwise it's Shepherds Bush <> Leicester Square).

On my way into work I'll head up Charing Cross Road after Strand to get up to Leicester Square, and on the way back I head back down CCR before getting onto The Mall.

I'm sure there's better ways, just my tuppence...
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    From there, hop onto Bishopsgate down the the embankment. Cackle maniacally to yourself as you howl through the traffic as far as embankment station. Northumberland ave to Traf sq, up the mall to the queen's house, onto constitution hill, to hyde park corner, then either k'bridge - HSK - shebu/chiswick HR or through the park up to bayswater road. Personally I tend to do k'bidge - HSK - shebu.

Longer, but much more fun!
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    I live in South Ealing and work in Cannon St.

I go Upper Thames St - Embankment - Northumberland Ave - Trfgr Sq - Mall - Constitution Hill - Hyde Park corner - HSK - Hammmersmith - Chiswick - Bollo Lane - Gunnersbury Lane - Popes Lane.

As LiT says, if you want to go further north in Ealing then transition to Bayswater Rd / Notting Hill gate / Uxbridge Road any point between Hyde Park Corner & Chiswick.

The other alternative from Bishopsgate is to go via Old St and City Road to the Euston Road and Marylebone Road then past Paddington down to Notting Hill Gate etc.
    <a>road</a>
  • rjeffroy
    rjeffroy Posts: 638
    I'd try something like this: Embankment or Euston Road

Embankment is more scenic. Both routes faster and more pleasant then going via Oxford Street even though they are further (I've tried all three)
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,203
    edited April 2010
    Try this one if you don't want to go too far out the way distance-wise:-
    - Along London Wall, left onto St Martin Le Grand then right onto Newgate St.
    - Along Holborn/St Giles High St then turn North past Centrepoint and up Tottenham Court Road
    - Left at Goodge St, straight along Mortimer St/Wigmore St/Seymour St (parallel to Oxford St but without the hoardes)
    - Hang a left when you're directly North of Marble Arch or when you get to Edgware Road.

(OK as long as there aren't any one ways going the wrong way.....)

Steve.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,417
    18 months of commuting down Oxford Street? Good grief man! How? Once was enough for me. I think I'd have to go for an Embankment based route as Euston Road is a bit of a motorway, but then I'm not reallynone for wiggly back road routes.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Would avoid the Strand at rush hour - it's always packed and moped riders block the filter paths. Quicker to go via the Embankment/Northumberland Ave/Buck Pall/HPC and through the park.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    W1 wrote:
    Would avoid the Strand at rush hour - it's always packed and moped riders block the filter paths. Quicker to go via the Embankment/Northumberland Ave/Buck Pall/HPC and through the park.

+1.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • My route home from holborn usually goes:

Southhampton row
    Russell Square
    Either Tottenham Court Road or Malet Street + Torrington Place
    Howland Street
    New Cavendish Street
    George Street

Not the most direct route, but certainly the quickest I've found in the four years I've been riding it.

I've got a route to holland park that avoids all of the main roads, has nice smooth tarmac and pretty much no traffic lights.
  • londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    Thanks guys for the suggestions! I will try a few of them out :)
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563

I go Upper Thames St - Embankment - Northumberland Ave - Trfgr Sq - Mall - Constitution Hill - Hyde Park corner - HSK - Hammmersmith - Chiswick - Bollo Lane - Gunnersbury Lane - Popes Lane.

As LiT says, if you want to go further north in Ealing then transition to Bayswater Rd / Notting Hill gate / Uxbridge Road any point between Hyde Park Corner & Chiswick.

The other alternative from Bishopsgate is to go via Old St and City Road to the Euston Road and Marylebone Road then past Paddington down to Notting Hill Gate etc.

I also live in South Ealing and I have to say that bollo lane is the only place in London I've ever felt less than safe cycling at night. I tend to go in that way and home the Uxbridge road way.
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296

I go Upper Thames St - Embankment - Northumberland Ave - Trfgr Sq - Mall - Constitution Hill - Hyde Park corner - HSK - Hammmersmith - Chiswick - Bollo Lane - Gunnersbury Lane - Popes Lane..
    You must do pretty much same route as me. :)

I go through Hyde Park, over Serpentine and past the Albert Memorial though.

You can get along at a decent lick along the Serpentine in the mornings. My commute finishes pretty much at the Bristol Garage.