Oh.

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
I've a confession :oops:

I've been off the bike since... well October (with the very odd exception) for various reasons: work moving, me moving. Me not being arsed :oops:

I did a run in to work a month or so back, and the 10 miles took 45 mins which was frankly embarrassing, plus I cramped, was hugley out of breath and enjoyed not a minute of it.

Well... today I quit the procastinating and got on the Tricross, strapped the cloak firmly to neck and did the run again.

35 minutes. (approx... didn't note the exact time I left but knew it approximately)

How the hell did THAT happen? :shock:

That's it.. cherry firmly broken and I'm back on the road. Expect smug reports of country lane cycling to commence, with tales of dawn rides and setting off to the twittering of birds :wink:

Actually - please wish me luck. I have put on stupid amounts of weight and now need to lose at least 2 stone. I'm determined to cycle every day I can and get back the speed I had before.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    running 10 miles in 45 minutes? And you got cramp? That's not far off world record pace is it?

from the interweb thing for example 'Gebrselassie runs fastest ever 10 Miles in history: 44:24' http://www.iaaf.org/news/Kind=2/newsId=31979.html

Well done, keep it up. :twisted:

Edit -
    Oh hang on, 'run in to work' I get it. You weren't running...
  • Satu
    Satu Posts: 51
    mr_si wrote:
    running 10 miles in 45 minutes? And you got cramp? That's not far off world record pace is it?

Hee, I was thinking the same thing!

Good luck, Kieran! This is probably the best time of year to get started again.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Yesterday I did another run into work, either the lights etc were more with me this time or I had got fitter as I knocked 10 mins off my time, last time was sunday though which should of been quicker, it's given me the kick up the arse to do it everyday too and get my speed back so I know exactly how you feel Keiran.
  • Feel the force KB ....

Every pound lost will bring a new scalp .....
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    cherry firmly broken and I'm back on the road

Way too long a break Oh Caped One :lol:

I actually wanted to say something else but remembered I'm supposed to be well-behaved whilst at work :roll:
  • Kieran_Burns
    It's more downhill on the way home so I'm going to try the alternate route that runs down the A60 tonight. I'm a little worried as it's a busy main A road, but cyclists use it reguarly and it's a good wide road.

I'm going to get an accurate start time this go so I know how long it takes....

Oh. God.

It's started. :shock:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    It's more downhill on the way home so I'm going to try the alternate route that runs down the A60 tonight. I'm a little worried as it's a busy main A road, but cyclists use it reguarly and it's a good wide road.

Oh. God.

Is that an extended route home? pwned by the stats monster! ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    JonGinge wrote:
    pwned by the stats monster! ;)

It's got a hold of me :(
  • Kieran_Burns
    JonGinge wrote:

Oh. God.

Is that an extended route home? pwned by the stats monster! ;)

Damn....

There's actually a whole host of alternate routes home, some of which include a bitch of a hill. It's my intention to start climbing this hill once my fitness level improves :?

I'm going to try longer alternates home just 'cos I want to see what some of the roads are like to ride on.

Nothing whatsover to do with stats..... ish.

Maybe

shut up.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Welcome back - fat boys club meet ?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Sounds like a fine idea except the roads 'round here are crap... I need to find a good route
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    I was back on the bike for the first time for a ride home yesterday too - and also have put on about a stone and a half since my run of bad luck with health problems at the end of last year.

Bliminey Heck - It felt so good to ride out of work. I didn't go the whole 25 miles home but stopped after 14 (into a strong headwind) and got picked up by The Lady. Thought it best not to push to much too soon and risk blowing a knee again!

Wasn't there a Silly Commuting Weightloss thread last year?
    us0.png
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Sounds like a fine idea except the roads 'round here are crap... I need to find a good route

You found one - it's the one with the ***** of a hill :D
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622

You should come out Lowdham/vale of Belvoir way, there's some cracking routes. I've ridden a few taken from the routes section on here. Round about the 50 mile range.
  • Kieran_Burns
    edited April 2010
    Welcome back - fat boys club meet ?

I'm actually thinking of doing a run from where I lived (there's a convenient car park nearby) up to Ashbourne and running up the Tissington trail to the High Peak trail. I'd like to make it into a 100K loop - this would of course involve using the Tricross as I'm not running the Trek up 20 miles of bridleway and back

The start of the route would be the same as the one I ran last time.... except we keep going straight on where we turned right onto that loooooong downhill
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Kieran_Burns
    Aguila wrote:

You should come out Lowdham/vale of Belvoir way, there's some cracking routes. I've ridden a few taken from the routes section on here. Round about the 50 mile range.

That's the other route I want to do - I intend to cycle to Belvoir Castle and back in the Summer. My only worry is the bloody big climb out of the Vale :?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    Aguila wrote:

That's the other route I want to do - I intend to cycle to Belvoir Castle and back in the Summer. My only worry is the bloody big climb out of the Vale :?

There's a couple of routes up to the castle, one much steadier than the other, followed by the quick descent. The steady route up is not hard. The roads leading to and from are very nice; quiet, scenic and in pretty good nick.
  • Kieran_Burns
    12.2 miles.... 50 minutes....

<sigh> :?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    you can do it, come back to this one in a few weeks and post your wildly better 12.2 time with a big smug grin.

I'm M'ingTFU on my big hills and trying to do it in a better gear each week - not long and I'll be flying up it in second :wink::wink:

it's just like riding a bike y'knaa
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Me too - find I'm gradually winding up the gears on the Genesis - started just after Xmas and I was riding either on the 34 or the bottom of the 50 - now I normally ride on the middle of the cassette - last week did 30 miles round the Cotswolds entirely on the big ring in just over 2 hours. Looking forward to the New Forest Sportive in a couple of weeks