Comedic Confrontations

prj45
prj45 Posts: 2,208
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
So, this guy drove past me using his mobile phone.

I rode past his driver's window and shouted "tell them you'll call them back when you've finished driving your car".

Cue a middle finger, then a rolled down window.

"What business is it of yours?" he asked.

"It is my business, we're sharing the road and I don't like sharing it with people talking on their mobile phone whilst driving their car", yadda yadda.

Then he started ranting about me being on a bike and him being in a car (either an "I'm better than you" rant or a veiled threat to maim/kill).

He went on for a bit, and the thing is, throughout the whole of this, and despite the threats, all I could think was that he sounded exactly like Dara O' Brian, doing his "pyramid of L plates" routine, so all I could do whilst he threatened to kill me was grin inanely which made him madder I think.

Anyway, he made what I think was an unplanned right turn after I rode up behind him twice, but he wasn't on his phone at the time.

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Aren't you about 6ft 4?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • prj45
    cjcp wrote:
    Aren't you about 6ft 4?

Yup.

I did have one guy get out of a car once after he tried to cut me up on Traf square and I'd banged on his roof (shows how close he was).

He got out, and looked up, and up and then his shoulders sunk a bit.

Wish I'd got that on camera, it was quite funny to see him literally deflate like that.
  • londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    Was called a pauper once by a pedestrian who looked like an utter chav, found that hillarious.
  • prj45
    Was called a pauper once by a pedestrian who looked like an utter chav, found that hillarious.

Thing is, if his "I'm in a car" comment was about social status rather than a threat to kill, it certainly looked like my bike (and the kit on it) was worth twice what his car was worth anyway.

Also, on the critical mass I went on recently somebody shouted out from a pub to everybody on the ride "GET A JOB!" with predictable hilarity resulting.
  • cjcp
    prj45 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Aren't you about 6ft 4?

Yup.

I did have one guy get out of a car once after he tried to cut me up on Traf square and I'd banged on his roof (shows how close he was).

He got out, and looked up, and up and then his shoulders sunk a bit.

Wish I'd got that on camera, it was quite funny to see him literally deflate like that.

Heh heh :) .
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Part of my commute involves negotiating a blind bend and a rather narrow bridge.

Here it is in street view, just keep going until you come to the bridge.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=warrington,uk&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=36.315864,77.255859&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Warrington,+Cheshire,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.36161,-2.60627&spn=0,0.009431&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.3602,-2.607262&panoid=oD5a9EkQO_qdBZgpRg4Rbg&cbp=12,355.28,,0,19.44

Anyway, this road is used by Horse riders, cyclists and idiot motorists using it as a rat run and given that the visibility from each way is bad, having motorists use their horn is a god send. So one day I approach the bridge, slowdown incase a car is on the bridge, and then proceed. A woman is racing over the bridge towards me. Stops and then complains that "I shouldn't be in the middle of the road" and that she "Doesn't have to use her horn". I smile at her and tell her that perhaps she should drive with more due care and attention and bid her goodbye..before my anger erupts and I thow her keys into the canal. :twisted:. Oh did I say she was pig ugly!!!!
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I find that 'high-fiving' commuters standing with their arms out at bus stops always brings a laugh... :lol::wink:
    FCN = 4
  • cjcp
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    I find that 'high-fiving' commuters standing with their arms out at bus stops always brings a laugh... :lol::wink:

:lol: Always wanted to do this, too.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I had to giggle about the high fiving
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    cjcp wrote:
    MTB-Idle wrote:

Stings like fuck though... I one hi fived my bro both on bikes going against each other at about 15 mph each. Fuck me that hurt. We were 12 and 14 though :)
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    cjcp wrote:
    MTB-Idle wrote:

I have nearly done this so many times... Especially as I am in front of the No 10 bus down most of Maryhill Road...
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    amnezia wrote:

2:34: "You f****** try to steal my mother f****** MetroCard, mother fucker!!!"

Class! :lol:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    MTB-Idle wrote:

I always want to stop and say 'room for one more'; I should probably stick a big 760 number on the front of my bike and pretend to be the Keighley bus :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    The high-fiving thing is great - my route doesn't give any opportunity for that, sadly.

On a different comedy note, I was having a look at how carbon frames are made and came across this charming picture (number two in the slideshow) of one of Giant's engineers, Nixon Huang. Pay close attention to the corporate logo on his chest.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Zachariah wrote:
    On a different comedy note, I was having a look at how carbon frames are made and came across this charming picture (number two in the slideshow) of one of Giant's engineers, Nixon Huang. Pay close attention to the corporate logo on his chest.

...so childish

Love it! :lol:
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Zachariah wrote:
    The high-fiving thing is great - my route doesn't give any opportunity for that, sadly.

oh.

my.

god.

:shock: 8) :lol:
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Zachariah wrote:

:D:D:D
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    If ever you want to see a woman driver go ballistic when involved in a bike/car altercation,
    tell her that she's got lots of fat and cellulite around her hips and thighs and the only way
    to get rid of it is to ride a bike.

I've said it on a couple of occassions and I could swear that both of them wanted to knock
    me spark out.
  • bill_gates
    bill_gates Posts: 469
    Zachariah wrote:

Totally rolling on floor laughing. :lol:

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."