Close Call

dvdfoz
dvdfoz Posts: 62
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
This evening returning to bike, locked up on rack. Unlock to have the arm of D-lock shear off.

Closer inspection reveals a few attempts to cut through the lock while I was in the pub (you've got to love Hackney :twisted:)
Perps clearly gave up not realising how close they were.... ( or I left at an opertune time)

So trip to Evans tomorrow to stock up on security (doubling up on the locks )

What does everyone else use/recommend ?
Dalston --> Canary Wharf, and all pubs inbetween

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    chicken wire attached to batteries with a timer :twisted:

I can't make any recommendations. I have a Kryptonite mini D and a Abus D-lock and I go to Hackney once a month and am always glad to see Babygirl on my return. Maybe my prayers work :wink:
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    close call

I use an abus granit x plus and my eyes, try to keep it in sight as much as i can, or I check on Monty every 5 minutes
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Avoid Hackney. :)

I usually use two D-locks.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    hmm, a thin loop of wire with a small padlock, attached to just the bike at work.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    dvdfoz wrote:
    This evening returning to bike, locked up on rack. Unlock to have the arm of D-lock shear off.

Closer inspection reveals a few attempts to cut through the lock while I was in the pub (you've got to love Hackney :twisted:)
    Perps clearly gave up not realising how close they were.... ( or I left at an opertune time)

So trip to Evans tomorrow to stock up on security (doubling up on the locks )

If you want to really annoy thieves, have 2 locks of different types - they will need different tools to attack them and probably not bother. So a decent D-Lock like a higher end Abus or Kryptonite, and also either a cable or chain - again Abus Granite etc.

A bit over the top, but if you want to be absolutely sure...

By the way, what lock were you using?
  • As the locksmith who angle-ground the Kryptonite lock off my bike after the key snapped off in the mechanism said, "Get an Abus, they really know keys".
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    cjcp wrote:

One in each hand?
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    Canny Jock wrote:

If you want to really annoy thieves, have 2 locks of different types - they will need different tools to attack them and probably not bother. So a decent D-Lock like a higher end Abus or Kryptonite, and also either a cable or chain - again Abus Granite etc.

A bit over the top, but if you want to be absolutely sure...

+1 with the 2 locks of different types.
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    It's not just the stregth of the locks that deter thieves its the length of time it takes to brake each lock.

So chain that mofo's up with two very expensive locks through both wheels and frame and then chain the seat post frame and both d-locks together with a cable. Attach all locks to road furnature like railings.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • dvdfoz
    dvdfoz Posts: 62
    Canny Jock wrote:

It was an Abus Granite, to be fair, though clearly attacked and sawn into, they hadn't sawn through, but weakened it enough so when I unlocked my bike the arm just broke. Had they hit it with a hammer before leaving, I may well be sans bike.

Don't recall seeing anyone around when I returned, but someone must have disturbed them.

Really my stupidity for chaining up on a rack slightly off the main road.

Still, bike fine and new D-lock and chain on board, so paid up for my error.
    Dalston --> Canary Wharf, and all pubs inbetween
  • Just leave the missus outside with the bike. Works a charm. :twisted:
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179

I recommend not leaving your bike unattended.

Sad but true
    FCN = 4
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Gussio wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

One in each hand?

:D
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"