Another fitting at The Bike Whisperer...

lastant
lastant Posts: 526
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
...so I had my fitting at The Bike Whisperer over in Ealing today and I'm yet another one that's going to be giving a good review.

Initial consultation to see what my plans were (commuting, longer distances over the weekends and a LEJOG in the near future), if I had any issues at the moment with the fit of my bike and just a chat in general before starting made me feel at ease and it really shows that they care not only about cycling as a whole but their customers too.

The fitting itself took just over four hours and although I'm sure this short review probably won't do it justice it really was thorough; my knee alignment and general pedalling technique has been improved with the addition of some small wedges to my cleats, my back ache and shoulder pain has been sorted with an adjustment to the saddle positioning and replacing of the stem with a shorted one and the general feel of the bike is far more comfortable.

Finally, Corinne had offered to give me a taping lesson so I've had a quick tutorial on how best to re-do my bar tape in future - white tape might suit the Bianchi but it doesn't half show the dirt so sure I'll use it sooner rather than later!!

Whilst I felt better as the tweaks were made on the turbo in the workshop, the journey home felt even better - the bike felt more comfortable and those niggles that I'd noticed over the last few weeks were no longer causing any problems.

Yes, I probably could have sorted out all the issues I was having myself but in short I'm a novice...it no doubt would have taken me ages and many cases of trial and error to try out all the different permutations. It's what they do at The Bike Whisperer, they're the professionals and they've seen it all before (and then some!) so what would have taken me days (or weeks) to sort, they've been able to get sorted in half a day.

I'd have no hesitation in recommending Scherrit and Corinne's service(s) to anybody. Incredibly patient and they really care about what they're doing...top marks!
One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)

Comments

• chronyx
    chronyx Posts: 455
    I'd have no hesitation in recommending Scherrit and Corinne's service(s) to anybody. Incredibly patient and they really care about what they're doing...top marks!

+1!
    2007 Giant SCR2 - 'BFG'

Gone but not forgotten!:
    2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport - 'Red Rocket'
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Can I ask how much?

I think money on stuff like this is really well spent. People spend loads on the gear but often very little on using it properly.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Can I ask how much?

Of course, they charge £125 for the bike fitting. That's another thing that really impressed me about them actually - the fact they're up front about costs.

I also paid for the new stem, the wedges for my shoes and the tape (and gel for underneath) which is fair enough...can't expect them to throw in £x amount of kit else they'll end up losing money hand over fist!

Some may baulk at the figure, but I'm planning on this bike lasting me a good while (and now I know my 'settings' for any future bike too). You can't put a price on comfort in my opinion, and I'd much rather sort out any niggles now rather than struggle through and perhaps aggravate something so badly I end up with a longer term injury.
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I'm planning to go when I get my new ride, before it touches the road so I can send it straight back if it's not really suitable for my 6'4" frame.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    lastant wrote:
    Can I ask how much?

Of course, they charge £125 for the bike fitting. That's another thing that really impressed me about them actually - the fact they're up front about costs.

I also paid for the new stem, the wedges for my shoes and the tape (and gel for underneath) which is fair enough...can't expect them to throw in £x amount of kit else they'll end up losing money hand over fist!

Some may baulk at the figure, but I'm planning on this bike lasting me a good while (and now I know my 'settings' for any future bike too). You can't put a price on comfort in my opinion, and I'd much rather sort out any niggles now rather than struggle through and perhaps aggravate something so badly I end up with a longer term injury.

Lastant - you got PM.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."