High Roller Super Tacky rolling

scandalousg
scandalousg Posts: 121
edited April 2010 in MTB beginners
At the moment I am running a High Roller maxxpro 60a on the rear and a High Roller super tacky up front.

I have noticed that rolling resistence is quite high. Has anyone else used a super tacky and a normal high roller? Do they differ a lot?

The super tacky feels very good grip wise and felt great when riding Lee quarry on sunday but felt hard work when riding along the canal yesterday. Wondering wether swapping it for something esle may help..

Comments

• Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    the super tacy are horrible when just going somewhere but are soo good when you get to the trails (especially downhill) but i've just put a 60a on the front of mine as i was dead before i got to the trails. there's still plenty of grip but it rolls ALOT faster. The best thing to do is try it and see how you get on

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    Supertacky highrollers are really race only DH tyres. Even the 60a maxxpros are a bit soft for normal XC/trail riding.

The grip/rolling resistance tradeoff isn't worth it unless your bike is pointed very much down hill.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Ive run a 42aF,60aR combo for about 2 years now.Can't say as i've noticed much difference in rolling resistance from say Nevegals/Eskars etc but then i don't spend that much time on tarmac.I've just swtiched to Minions(42aF,60aR) very similar to HRs just a bit more predictable.
  • scandalousg
    My problem is that i often have to ride on tarmac to get the train to the trails, or i will be getting my fitness up by using the canal. (Would love a second set of wheels but not financially viable atm!)

You think swapping the front may be a good idea? Any suggestions for XC/trail, bit of towpath riding every now and again? Maybe just put another high roller on but different compound?
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    I go through a set of supertackies on my dh bike every 4 months or so. I can't imagine how quickly you are burning through them riding xc and Tarmac. There are a huge number of really good xc tyres out there without resulting to dh race tyres.

Where do you normally ride? Rocky trails? Muddy trails? Mostly fair weather? Towpaths?
  • scandalousg
    I kind of ride all sorts to be honest! Been doing a bit of xc but starting to use rocky trail centres. Will be out whatever the weather, but am going to be doing some towpaths to get the fitness up.

Am thinking of possibly putting the maxxpro on the front and going for an advantage or crossmark on the back.
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    you must be a sucker for punishment running super tackys for general trails and xc, you can pretty much hear them sticking to anything hard.

try a pair 2.25"s, crossmark rear and ardent front as long as it aint too muddy, come up bigger than the highrollers too, grip is amazing considering how fast they roll, you wont belive the diffrence in speed, if your fast on xc with super tackys you better get some more gears.
  • scandalousg
    richg1979, i was recommended them before looking into them fully (It is only the front so isn't too bad, but i've learnt to do my homework now!!)

I'm currently looking at the Kenda Nevegal DTC, they seem to get good reviews. Am thinking of putting my highroller maxxpro 60a on the front and then putting something else on the rear.
  • scandalousg
    The panaracer rampage looks good too.
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    i have a pair of nevegals hanging in the garage that i use for winter riding, not somthing i would call fast rolling, there are much better summer tyres out there. go for a small block eight on the back if you want to run the nevegal up front. more grip in the dry and uber fast.
  • mackie1
    mackie1 Posts: 95
    I tried the same combo on mine and immediately regretted it. I now run Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1s front and rear and they're brilliant. Cheap too.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'm a panaracer man through and through...

The razer mx is awesome but has no grip in the slightest damp!

Rampage is great if you run them in opposite directions.

Cinder is quite a nice compromise as well.