SPD moments..

2»

Comments

• Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I've had a muck about with them, it's weird when I'm just standing there my feet point out but when I pedal the toes point slightly in, they were originally set up with the feet pointing slightly out so hopefully it will sort it. The cleats are a right sod to re-position though as they dig in and get stuck
  • cmm303
    cmm303 Posts: 59
    Heartened by the SPD tales. Had M540 for a few months and used them on commuting trips. They still bite back when I go into autopilot mode, including a stop to turn right at a mini-roundabout, 8am rush hour, and SPDs not on my mind. Result was one cyclist on his side in the middle of the road with a bike between his legs and a massive queue of cars up the hill. Pulling myself and bike back to the kerb felt like the distance across a motorway. I have had to dine out on the story so much after my wife spotted the damage to my elbow.

On a serious point, I fully endorse all the comments about extra power from SPDs. Up pulling on a hill is like turning on the superchargers. I also use them for spinning in the gym because I think it uses muscles differently to toe clips.

The need I feel to unclick prior to any junction etc. when commuting makes me very nervous about using them off road where life seems a lot less predictable, to me at least. So I wondered about a hybrid click & flat pedal. I have only see the M324 which describes itself for commuting. Has anyone tried it off road? Is it useable?

I have seen plenty of pedals with a cage which can be used with SPDs or regular shoes but this is not the same as wearing SPDs and not always clicking in.
    ChrisM
  • Paul 8v
    I've done quite a few rides on them now and I had to unclip in an emergency (Dog jumped in front of me) and my natural panicing motion unclipped me from the pedal anyway! The one thing I would say is to take some time to get the set-up just right as my knees hurt like hell after the first ride and are still not 100%
  • smiler666
    smiler666 Posts: 23
    i once stopped next to a knee high fence over a gulley and went straight over the side still holding my bike the only problem was i was using normal pedals with normal pumps slid down about 12ft into nettles wife n kids laffed all evening goin out tommorw and goin clipped for the first time so plenty of practice tonight for me
    :)
    giant yukon fx1
    claude butler ravana
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    The two times I remember I had bother with them:

I hadn't got out of the back garden at my parents house, I just toppled over and landed on the lawn. My mum was stood in the kitchen laughing, my riding partner collapsed on the floor giggling.

On a club ride in Keswick I was at the back (as usual) and about to set off riding along a single track... My right pedal clipped the grass verge and the whole bike swung round. I struggled free and stopped the bike before me and it bounced our merry way down a 45 degree angle slope, across a road and in to Derwent Water.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • Paul 8v
    Nice! It really is the most ungracefull thing ever falling off when clipped in!
  • cmm303
    cmm303 Posts: 59
    I am going to order some SH56 cleats (multi-direction release) and give these a go when I first venture off road with SPDs. Cheaper than changing the pedals ... again.

There have been a few comments about knee problems with SPDs. I used my new shoes with cleats in the gym for Spinning (or equivalent) which teased out discomfort in a way that only hard riding can do. I also experimented with adjustments over several sessions. Interestingly, but maybe not surprisingly, cleat positions are not the same on each foot, reflecting the differences in my foot sizes. :?
    ChrisM
  • nikstar1
    nikstar1 Posts: 103
    I think everyone makes a fool of themselves at some point!!

It is usually when you have mastered them alone and feel confident enough to go riding with others. The pressure builds and there is too much going on that you forget and end up falling in a bush - or is that just me!?

No easy way around it but practice makes perfect and you learn from your mistakes.

Practising on grass rather than concrete is definitely a good suggestion.
  • kaytronika
    I had a panic in my early days of cycling... Had just got my '94 GT Timberline FS without a suspension fork (don't ask) and was pedalling down a road in Haigh Hall. It was as I hit about 25mph that I realised the laces of both of my shoes had become entangled around the basic cage pedals. Trying to untangle them while remaining on the bike and moving wasn't fun. Fortunately I was on a quiet country road.

Lesson learned : Always tuck your shoe laces away.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • nikstar1
    Sounds like that could have gone much much worse than it did! No injury to speak of?
  • kaytronika
    I seem to recall slowing down to a steady speed and found that the laces had become hooked around the spikes on the cages. Got one foot undone and made sure that was the foot I landed on when I stopped.

I never did have many accidents, but when I did they were generally obscure/stupid.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • nikstar1
    Nice control! Unfortunately I do not seem to have the same luck.

When I fall...I fall hard and usually end up doing some painful damage.

It is always the worst when you have stupid accidents as there is nothing else to blame but your sheer ignorance and it makes you feel even more sorry for yourself.
  • kaytronika
    I imagine you ride a lot harder than I ever did (or do now). I was always at the back pootling along.

No doubt I'll have more SPD moments when I get a new set in the next few weeks.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • nikstar1
    Well I do tend to get a bit ahead of myself and go a bit crazy some weekends after a hard week at work!

Serves me right really - but no pain no gain :D
  • colt
    colt Posts: 173
    My mates have named the long fireroad climb at cannock Sniper Hill after I tried changing gear halfway up.... chain disengaged, no drive and only my second time clipless, apparently the way I suddenly stopped and then felll over in a heap looked like I'd been shot :lol:
    Trek Fuel EX8 Rootbeer, mmm beer!