Replacement padding for helmet

tgotb
tgotb Posts: 4,714
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
The padding in my helmet is getting rather fragrant (to the extent that it is no longer allowed in the house) but won't survive another trip through the washing machine, even in one of those bags that girls use for delicate underwear.

Anyone know where I can get some replacement padding? I'm assuming someone probably makes the stuff in big sheets, but haven't managed to find anything...
Pannier, 120rpm.

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Chain reaction cycles have most brands.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    Depends on what helmet you have, but I got some Giro replacements here:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=helmet+pad
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Your LBS is your friend.
    They'll probably have lots of spare bits of helmet padding knocking around - mine gave me some for free.
    However, expect a lecture along the lines of "if the padding's this old, you need a new helmet"
    Misguided Idealist
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Depending on the make of your helmet, sometimes you can get OEM spares from online retailers. Failing that, try contacting the manufacturer. I've tried buying replacement velcro material from the haberdashery section of dept stores but it didn't work very well.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,417
    Yup, CRC is the best place I have found for helmet pads. BTW, have you tried hand washing?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    rjsterry wrote:
    Yup, CRC is the best place I have found for helmet pads. BTW, have you tried hand washing?
    +1 for handwashing. I soak mine in an anti-dandruff shampoo solution. Does the business against the nasties causing the smell.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    Depending on how sweaty you are, if it's of an age where the stink in embedded it may also be of an age where the polystyrene is starting to degrade.

I believe that some manufacturers suggest a helmet should be replaced every 2 - 3 years.

Might be worth treating yourself to a new one if your helmet is old and stinky!

Rufus.