Cav story spun into Sky story

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited April 2010 in Pro race
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/ap ... re-greipel?

Does Mr Moore work for Sky? :wink:

Wouldn't the more likely scenario be "Greipel looks for new team"
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    You realise Moore probably didn't write the headline?

Classic last line though.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    The last line is fantastic. I'm not a Cavendish fan but he does make me chuckle with his turn of phrase sometimes.

This one is nearly as bad as the story about Millar winning the 3 days last week and it mentioning how he didn't ride for Sky.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Worst thing is it's old news for anyone who knows cycling. Both riders have never held back in the fact they don't get along just this year with griepel being more outspoken after San remo maybe it is bubbling up again. I can never see stapleton letting cav go out of the two and it would be interesting if it ever happened how wiggins would feel about having to be at a team with a focus on sprint trains again. Though I am sure team sky would defy the un written rules of all the armchair experts here and say they could cater for both sprinter and gc. I am pretty sure the comments on the giro are prbably accurate though, I can't imagine he is entirely happy about missing it.
  • DaveyL
    Telekom managed it in the 90s with Riis/Ullrich and Zabel, but, er, maybe that's not the best example....
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Good old Cav telling it like it is. :lol:
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Nice last line, Mark. That's why Greipel is riding the Giro and you, Californication.
    Mind, JJ Haedo beat the German, on his home soil, yesterday. After German tv had done such a nice piece on Andre, too. :oops:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Does Mr Moore work for Sky? :wink:

Well he writes a column on their website...
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Worst thing is it's old news for anyone who knows cycling. Both riders have never held back in the fact they don't get along just this year with griepel being more outspoken after San remo maybe it is bubbling up again. I can never see stapleton letting cav go out of the two and it would be interesting if it ever happened how wiggins would feel about having to be at a team with a focus on sprint trains again. Though I am sure team sky would defy the un written rules of all the armchair experts here and say they could cater for both sprinter and gc. I am pretty sure the comments on the giro are prbably accurate though, I can't imagine he is entirely happy about missing it.

As Cav matures I think he's looking at being more than just a sprinter that's sucked along by a HTC-like train in every race (as effective as it is now). Think he wants to be more of a Freire-style sprinter.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Cav is an increasingly influential rider, his voice echoes a long way around the bunch. So when he says something negative about Greipel, it is a clear message for the German rider to quit whingeing and make up, or start hunting for another team for 2011 and risk spending the rest of the year doing kermesses.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Think we know where Cav stands on the Giro v Cali debate...

Strava is not Zen.
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Nice last line, Mark. That's why Greipel is riding the Giro and you, Californication.
    Mind, JJ Haedo beat the German, on his home soil, yesterday. After German tv had done such a nice piece on Andre, too. :oops:

Not sure what you are implying here but ToC is more important to the team hence the top sprinter going there.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    It's clear for all to see where Greipel lies in the pecking order and I can't beleive for one moment that the sponsors/management would allow a situation to develop, which meant they would lose their star rider. If Greipel has bigger ambitions, then he'll have to go elsewhere, the same way Wiggins, Kirchen, EBH and Lofkvist have.

Whilst his soundbites are sometimes amusing, I don't find it particularly classy the way that he speaks of Greipel with such distain.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    As an aside, Kirchen was saying earlier in the year, when all the Team Sky 'will they won't they' stuff with Wiggins was going on, that it was a done deal with Cavendish that he would be at Sky next season...
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Good old Cav, he can't help himself can he. I like him but I can't help thinking there might come a day when he regrets being quite so outspoken - though with a few million in the bank from racing a bike how many regrets can you have ?

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • jim one
    jim one Posts: 183

Got to say that was quite funny, plus talking to Aldag in the team car by phone on how he was setting up a victory for Greipel. Just showed the true difference in class between the 2 I say.
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    With Sky's perceived ability to upset the peloton, blunt Cav would fit right in.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    'Last year I won it (MSR) picking my nose'

Well that's just plain b@ll@ks
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • Luckao wrote:
    With Sky's perceived ability to upset the peloton, blunt Cav would fit right in.

my thoughts exactly :D
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,231
    josame wrote:

I don't think he meant it literally the dirty get :lol:
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    ah come on, I'd rather a peloton of Cavs than a peloton of EBH's "it was a nice ride, it feels nice to win, nice".

Cav "falls out" with people and then makes up pretty quick - this is blown out of all proportion AGAIN by the press - and besides he ain't saying anything that isn't true (apart from the nose picking). I LOVED the shit races comment!
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Beware of media spin. Cav might give choice quotes but often they get amplified.

Cycling journalists can often get ahead of themselves. Listen to the latest Real Peloton podcast and Matt Rendell gets a pro translator to assess Rasmussen's interview, it's not as aggressive and deluded as the quotes reported in the English-speaking media suggest.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    micron wrote:
    As an aside, Kirchen was saying earlier in the year, when all the Team Sky 'will they won't they' stuff with Wiggins was going on, that it was a done deal with Cavendish that he would be at Sky next season...

I just can't see it being a good move for either. Leaving aside the "can a team go for sprints and GC?" question, Cav has a team which is happy to lead him out, and this gives him a tremendous advantage. Sky seemingly aren't that interested in sprints in GTs furthermore, I'm not sure Cav's mouthiness would fit in at corporate sky!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Would have loved big mouth cavendish to have been around in the days of Hinault, Kelly etc...they would have punched his F&*$ing lights out...amen to that id say :D
  • DaveyL
    Yes, Le Blaireau never shot his mouth off, did he?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Cav is a dim-witted wind bag, but he is right about Griepel.

While he is very good, he seems increasingly Pozzato-like. Cav loves to hear himself talk.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    josame wrote:

From what I can remember he was breathing out of his @rse for the best part of 7 hours and won the sprint by 1cm. Easy peasy eh??!!! All this, "...I sprint at 80%, if the others get better, I'll sprint at 85%..." is pretty tiresome, really.

I'm an admirer of his ability on a bike, but he does come across as a complete tool.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    josame wrote:

From what I can remember he was breathing out of his @rse for the best part of 7 hours and won the sprint by 1cm. Easy peasy eh??!!! All this, "...I sprint at 80%, if the others get better, I'll sprint at 85%..." is pretty tiresome, really.

I'm an admirer of his ability on a bike, but he does come across as a complete tool.

+1. Class on the bike. Off it, not so much.

But then I guess arrogance comes with the territory when you're the best in the world. Difference is some (like Ali) can get away with it by being charismatic (sorry Tush).

I wonder if Greipel is rubbing his hands at the thought of the Giro sprints whilst Cav is off getting sh1t, small wins?

Strava is not Zen.
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    josame wrote:

+2

I've never liked him, and with each interview, I like him even less. I was glad to hear he won't be riding the Giro. At least we won't have to listen to him talking crap for those 3 weeks.
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...