Sportives: double or compact?

2»

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Scrumple wrote:
    Its quite rude to suggest I'm not ok to make my own deciisions. Move on.

I don't think it's rude to suggest that. You're the one who can't make up his mind about what to buy. Some people need an authority figure to tell them what to do.
  • Aapje
    Aapje Posts: 77
    Options:

1. Fit a 11-28 Shimano Ultegra cassette with the compact. 50x11 is a larger gear than 52x12, and 34x28 is smaller than 34x27 (obviously). So the range will be better than both your double and compact setups. The spread is larger though.
    2. Wait for SRAM Apex and use a double with 11-32.

Do I win a prize?
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Scrumple wrote:
    MY THREAD - my question, and why the heck can't I refuse to contemplate one.

Accept it and shut up on the subject. Its quite rude to suggest I'm not ok to make my own deciisions. Move on.
    I'm not sure why anyone would be interested in helping someone with such an attitude.

Your thread? :roll: Are all your 1200 posts like this?
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Aapje wrote:
    Options:

1. Fit a 11-28 Shimano Ultegra cassette with the compact. 50x11 is a larger gear than 52x12, and 34x28 is smaller than 34x27 (obviously). So the range will be better than both your double and compact setups. The spread is larger though.
    2. Wait for SRAM Apex and use a double with 11-32.

Do I win a prize?
    11 32? why would anyone want such a spread.
    On the flat or on regular rides the gaps are so large you would constantly be up and down the gears.
    If your that bad you need a 32 why on earth would you need a 11 as you would never use it.
  • For hilly ones I have 53/39 chainrings with a 13-29 cassette, with a less wide-ranging cassette for something flatter (or where I know the course well). Works fine, especially in granfondos where the starts and finishes and flat sections are basically full on racing speed. But where comfort is important a compact would be useful, perhaps even necessary, if the course is long, multi-day or over loads of Alpine climbs (such as in the Marmotte).
  • Aapje
    Aapje Posts: 77
    On the flat or on regular rides the gaps are so large you would constantly be up and down the gears.
    If your that bad you need a 32 why on earth would you need a 11 as you would never use it.
    They are called mountains. When you are riding on flat or less hilly terrain, you can just fit a 11-23 or whatever you fancy.

This is perfect for those who don't want a triple, but either constantly ride in the mountains or rarely ride in the mountains (holiday). It's not so good for people who alternate often between mountain riding and flat terrain.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Guys,

I was being melodramatic.

My rant was not entirely malicious! It was a bit tongue in cheek - like a spoilt child! Sorry if anyone thought I was being ignorant. The "my thread" bit was meant to give it away... but I can see how you thought I was being serious!

cheers for the advice.
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    I use a triple: 52/39/30 and 11-25. The granny ring is rarely used but it's good to have that "last round in the chamber" for when you're totally sh@gged eg at the end of an Etape or Marmotte, or some of the hillier UK sportives. The issue of chain line is irrelevant because tbh when you're on the granny up front you'll only likely use the 25,23 and 21 in back. Similarly on the 52 ring you'll be in the 11-15 range on the cassette.
    There is undoubtedly a weight penalty, and my Ultegra triple crankset is not as aesthetically pleasing as a double, but halfway up the Tourmalet or Hautacam in Etape '08 I could care less what it looked like :D

Ultimately it all depends on your level of fitness. Armstrong can dance up Alpe d'Huez in 39x21 at 14 mph. I can't.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Aapje wrote:
    They are called mountains. When you are riding on flat or less hilly terrain, you can just fit a 11-23 or whatever you fancy.

This is perfect for those who don't want a triple, but either constantly ride in the mountains or rarely ride in the mountains (holiday). It's not so good for people who alternate often between mountain riding and flat terrain.

As I siad ifyou need a 32 you would not need a 11 IMO. It would be better to have a larger small sprocket to reduce the gaps in gears mid range.
    On the deescents there is no need to pedal at all to get high speeds.
    I had a compact with 12 25 and never used the 12 at all and still managed 63mph, but that was freewheeling not pedalling.
    I did use 13 tooth on the flat bit before the telegraphe but had no trouble keeping up in fast group using 50 x 13.