Cornish camping

MuddyFunster
MuddyFunster Posts: 85
edited April 2010 in MTB general
Anyone know of any decent, family friendly campsites in Cornwall? The family holiday looks set to be in Cornwall and it'd be nice to avoid the great big, Butlins-esque sites. I'm unlikely to be allowed much scope for riding, so beaches probably more of a priority than trails. Any recommendations gratefully received, especially top tips on where to get the best pasties!

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    St Ives Bay Holiday Park at Hayle, just outside St Ives, is very nice. Right on top of the beach (er, literally on top, you have to walk down some epic dunes which I remember being pretty tiring when I was wee!) but it's well worth the walk,the gwithian towans beach is fantastic... and you've got the choice of either open, sandy beach or you can walk along toward the lighthouse to get big rockpools you can swim in, climb on, find manky sea things with too many legs in... I've not stayed there for years now but we went about 4 times as kids and it's a great site. Good drainage, bars and shops on site though you're far enough away from them to not feel wedged in, decent facilities. Though to be fair that could all have changed by now but looking at the website it looks the same. There was one fairly horrible classic campsite bar, which we hated- too crowded, too full of "entertainers" but there was another that had a big conservatory, pool, etc which was always much more laid back.

I guess the downsides are that it's a long way into cornwall, and it's not much of a surfing beach if you're into that, but it's great for kids. But you can easily hit up Land's End, St Michael's Mount, Penzance, Falmouth, Perranporth, Newquay etc.

We loved it...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Sounds good - the kids love hunting for manky sea things with too many legs! Is that what they put in pasties?
  • CanalRider
    CanalRider Posts: 194
    UK campsite has a good review section and is independent. There is also the Camping and Caravan Club. More 'commercial' but have high standards and includes Certified Sites, wich are smaller with less facilities and may suit the purists, you dont have to be a member
    --
    Saw a sign on a restaurant that said Breakfast, any time -- so I ordered French Toast in the Renaissance.
  • Agree with UK campsite for good reviews of sites.

Two years ago we stayed at the campsite right next to Heligan Gardens. A small quiet site, but with the advantage of being able to use all the facilities (beach, pool, bar, restaraunt, etc...) at their sister site just down the road at Pentewan.
    time flies like an arrow
    fruit flies like a banana
  • Bay View Farm, St Martins, Looe, Cornwall came 11th in the top 50 british camp sites in 'The Independant'. Never been but sounds good for kids
  • Thanks for the tips! Wife is now busy on the UK Campsite website and the matter has been taken out of my hands. Which is fine by me, coz I've just transmogrified Roam for watching on my iPod :D
  • Hi there, new to this site, so a big hello to all forumites. Wasn't sure what the protocol was for starting a new thread, so I just thought I would hijack this thread. I am planning on a trip to Cornwall, most likely staying in this St Ives campsite as it is near to my better halfs folks house (who can keep her occupied whilst I get out for a ride or two!) So basically, does anyone have any experience of this campsite? or any other decent ones in the St Ives area? Also if there are any Cornwall heads on the forum hopefully you could suggest a couple of trails in that area?
    Thanks in advance for any help, Danny
  • 3110neil
    3110neil Posts: 303
    Hi
    Well ive been to a few campsites in cornwall ,the last one was st ives ,neasr hayle ,good site clean and on the beach ,decent club house ,but the best one for me is hollywell bay near newquay ,i think the site was called park dean ,the beaches are fantastic ,way better than st ives ,plenty to do for the kids ie ,zoo,pool,steam engine ,you have holly well bay ,perenthorpe,newuay ,and a lot more beaches and coves all around ,hollywell bay you wont regret it
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    Northwind wrote:
    St Ives Bay Holiday Park at Hayle, just outside St Ives...
    +1 for that I was there over new year in the campervan and it's an excellent site (good toilet block, shop on site plus WIFI). Gwithian beach is fantastic.

Don't underestimated those sand dunes though especially when its dropping dark, we got lost for ages trying to find our way back!

My other favourite spot is Constantine/Treyarnon Bay between Padstow and Newquay, there are plenty nice camp sites there too particularly Trethias Farm and right near THE best place for cream teas at Berryfields farm.

If you don fancy some riding whilst you're there (this is a MTB forum afterall!) check out the bike barn just outside Portreath - http://www.cornwallcycletrails.com/ what the guys in there don't know about the local trails ain't worth knowing.
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!