Spectating at the Ardennes Classics

Garrigou
Garrigou Posts: 145
edited May 2010 in Pro race
Looking for suggestions / experiences on where to spectate from at Amstel Gold, Fleche Wallonne & L-B-L? Would like to get to see Amstel & Liege from 2-3 different locations, but am 90% sure I'm happy to set up for the day on Mur de Huuy for Fleche. All contributions greatly appreciated. Cheers.
Between me & Eddy Merckx we've won pretty much everything worth winning on a bike.

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,477
    It's pretty straightforward to see Liege in 3 or 4 places due to the out and back nature of the course.

The usual routine I'd follow would be to see the start in Liege, have a coffee whilst the race traffic clears the town then jump onto the motorway to Houffalize to see the race on the Cote Saint Roch. We'd then head over to Stavelot, have some lunch then catch the race on the Stockeu before dashing via the back roads to the Cote du Rosier to see the race for the final time before heading back to Stavelot and watching the last 50 kms on TV in a bar.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Can't add anything to Andy's post for L-B-L - the course is a big figure-8. Avoid Liege - it's a dump and keep south of the river.
    For Fleche, head to Huy - they go over the climb 3 times.
    Never been to Amstel, but the course switches back and forth and passes a few places at least once.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • OK, I'll have a go at Amstel as I did go and see in in 2003. Not sure if it's still same, but we went to the start in Maastricht then jumped onto the train to Valkenburg. Then followed all the other spectators onto the Cauberg which the race uses 3 times. Hope that helps?
  • Garrigou
    Cheers Gents, those are all really helpful.
    Hope any one of the three turns out as good as Flanders was!
    Between me & Eddy Merckx we've won pretty much everything worth winning on a bike.
  • Garrigou
    Thank you to those of you who posted suggestions. We had an absolute blast! Got to ride the Cauberg about 45 mins before the finish of the pro race; then rode Muur de Huy the day before Fleche & had the pleasure of being overtaken by a very chatty Cadel Evans (Huy on race day was superb); For L-B-L we headed to Houffalize & the Stockeu & then watched the finish in a pub.
    As a regular Tour/Giro spectator, but a first-timer in the Ardennes, I thought it was several notches up from the Grand Tours as a spectator experience for the week. Much better rider access, the loops mean you see more action, less hassle with road closures & if you choose to ride on the days before the races, you're out there with the pros for large parts of the day. Maybe the 7 days of continuous sunshine helped, too!
    Cheers All.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Photos!