Pedal Lights

Notsolittlemisssunshine
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi, has anyone had any experience of these or something similar?

http://www.ecoutlet.co.uk/pedalite-kpl2 ... ips-3.html

I'm looking to make my sons bike as conspicuous as possible for his commute to school as, being a typical teenager, he won't wear hi viz. Have got him a Knog bag with hi viz strips and reflective stickers for the bike. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    Seems like a good idea, if a little expensive for what it is. Have you already got the valve caps that light up when the wheel is turning, not that that helps front / rear visibility, but they are cheap. Otherwise, 2 or 3 sets of lights for dark mornings or evenings (if they're cool enough!)
  • Spokelits seem to be good (and fun) for side-on visibility. And not too expensive (except for replacement batteries - eBay is your friend).

'Stealth' reflective strips might be an idea if you've not already done so - you can get Scotchlite-type hi-viz reflective tape in a variety of colours-so you can get colours that match the bike (or clothes or bag) in normal light and so don't look so obviously reflective in daylight. I am sure some others on the forum can help with links for that.

If using reflective strips, it might be worth trying patterns that are not vertical or horizontal - my personal view is that vertical and horizontal reflective patterns can blend more into the background.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,417
    Just a thought, but something like one of the Altura Night Vision jacket is available in red, but still with plenty of Scotchlite. Possibly far enough away from the typical hi viz tabard for teenage use, whilst still being hi viz on the quiet. I could well be way out of touch though.

This is the one I mean

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=product&productId=2094&categoryId=56
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Hi, has anyone had any experience of these or something similar?

http://www.ecoutlet.co.uk/pedalite-kpl2 ... ips-3.html

I'm looking to make my sons bike as conspicuous as possible for his commute to school as, being a typical teenager, he won't wear hi viz. Have got him a Knog bag with hi viz strips and reflective stickers for the bike. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Those pedals have been discussed on the CTC forums for a few of the negative sides. One being how they have flashing amber lights on the sides which may make drivers and other road users assume its an indicator. I would steer clear on that basis.

You'd be far better to invest in good regular front and back lights. Make him wear bright colours (and reflectives at night)... if he fails to do so confiscate his bike.

You will also do better to arm him with the knowledge by having a gander at Bikeability and your localcouncil/schools cycle training schemes.

Night vision jkackets are great too, as the non-yellow ones are still bright, and can be worn like a regular jacket without looking too "bikey"
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Do the pedals know which way up they are? If not, it seems to me that the white and red could end up at the wrong end of the pedal, showing in the wrong direction.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • downfader
    Agent57 wrote:
    Do the pedals know which way up they are? If not, it seems to me that the white and red could end up at the wrong end of the pedal, showing in the wrong direction.

I cant remember but I think the guy who makes them might have answered it on the CTC site :? Hence why you use clips.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Well if the clips are a requirement for them to be used correctly, they should come with them or be built in, I reckon.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Marathon Plus(es) as tires? Think it's those ones that have the reflective strip around the tire rim - certainly stands out when coming up to a junction and car headlights catch them.

Bugger to fit, mind! :)
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • +1 for getting tyres with reflective sides, good passive reflective (ie is always 'on', don't need to remember to have batteries or to remember to 'wear' them)

Scotch lite stuff is cool as well, one of the Respro sticker sets is good fun, and the black version doesn't have the fluro look.

Other useful thing I know from colleagues with kids is one of these Exelite thingsfor backpacks. I have one on my rucksack and really a fan of it. Draws a lot of attention to it as I get lots of comments on it from cyclists, pedestrians and motorists alike. Even if you don't switch it on, it has reflective strips on it.

Finally, the key thing is to cycle in a visible way, and not get hung up on high viz being the be all and end all (if it was, we wouldn't have SMIDSYs). If they don't do it at school, some of the Bikeability cycle lessons (e.g. from Cycle Training UK) are the way to go, no matter what age or experience (a lot of clubs cyclists could do with going on one :? )
  • Number one son's new bike came with Sweetskinz "Nightwing" tyres, you might get away with getting them, if he reckons they look cool. They have large, reflective patches as part of the snakeskin design. They aren't even bad tyres...

http://www.mtnbikeriders.com/2007/10/11 ... htwing-21/

sweetskinz.jpg
  • downfader
    Number one son's new bike came with Sweetskinz "Nightwing" tyres, you might get away with getting them, if he reckons they look cool. They have large, reflective patches as part of the snakeskin design. They aren't even bad tyres...

http://www.mtnbikeriders.com/2007/10/11 ... htwing-21/

sweetskinz.jpg

Yeah cool tyres. Loved the designs I've seen so far and the aint limited to just sidewalls which is good.
  • Couldn't get your link to work, so here's an alternative - http://www.sweetskinz.com/

Those tyres are cool, shame they don't have them in semi-slick form :-(

Imagine coming along the Embankment with these on:
    http://www.geared2go.com/Sweetskinz-Pin ... biscus.htm
    :shock:
  • Couldn't get your link to work, so here's an alternative - http://www.sweetskinz.com/

Those tyres are cool, shame they don't have them in semi-slick form :-(

Imagine coming along the Embankment with these on:
    http://www.geared2go.com/Sweetskinz-Pin ... biscus.htm
    :shock:

They have 26" semi-slicks in some colours, that's what the boy has. They also do 700-37c for touring.
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    The advantage lights have over reflectors is that lights are visible from every angle, even when headlights are not pointed directly at them. Lights are also effective even when cars do not have headlights on, which is unfortunately quite common as there is a subset of morons who insist on driving around with foglights or sidelights only.

That said, dynamo-pedal lights are not that bright, and go off when stopped at junctions or not pedalling. So, not as good as proper lights, but better than just reflectors.

I don't have an issue with flashing amber, as bike pedals are almost universally equipped with these, so most motorists know this means "bike".
  • downfader
    snailracer wrote:
    That said, dynamo-pedal lights are not that bright, and go off when stopped at junctions or not pedalling. So, not as good as proper lights, but better than just reflectors.

You've been looking at the wrong dynamo lights, matey. :wink:

There are some seriously cool, lightweight and powerful dynamo lights now. All thanks to LED technology. If those serious about lighting want new ones they could do a lot worse than the B&M dynamo range.They also double as legal reflectors iirc.

Most of the new ones also dont flicker like the old ones used to. The hold a capacitance charge that gets over the effect. :)
  • rhann
    rhann Posts: 383
    under the road vehicle lighting rules, these would be illegal
  • downfader
    rhann wrote:
    under the road vehicle lighting rules, these would be illegal

Which? The topic has kind of gone off-topic. :wink:
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    downfader wrote:
    snailracer wrote:

There are some seriously cool, lightweight and powerful dynamo lights now. All thanks to LED technology. If those serious about lighting want new ones they could do a lot worse than the B&M dynamo range.They also double as legal reflectors iirc.

Most of the new ones also dont flicker like the old ones used to. The hold a capacitance charge that gets over the effect. :)
    I was on about the pedals with built-in dynamo & orange LEDs on sale in Halfords, not "proper" dynamo lights.

BTW, I have a DIY dynamo/Lithium battery hybrid dual-LED light rig which betters anything you can buy from B&M :P
  • downfader
    snailracer wrote:
    downfader wrote:
    snailracer wrote:

I was on about the pedals with built-in dynamo & orange LEDs on sale in Halfords, not "proper" dynamo lights.

BTW, I have a DIY dynamo/Lithium battery hybrid dual-LED light rig which betters anything you can buy from B&M :P

Always fancied making me own dynamo set but I'm pretty cackhanded when it comes to DIY. I'd make one motorbike style with the big sets of lights plus indicators, LOL. Would look funny I know, but who cares. :D