Hardknott & Wrynose?

AndyD2574
AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
Doing the Lakeland Loop and the FW Challenge.....................whats the Hardknott and Wrynose like?

Been training really hard and pushing big gears when out and making sure my wattage on the gym bike averaging about 290 so feel good......BUT.........whats are these 2 climbs REALLY like?? :?:
Specialized S Works Venge
Argon18 E114
Specialized Langster Single Speed
Scott Spark Expert 29'er
GT Avalanche
http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Hard! It's not just about threshold power on a gym bike - you'll be out of the saddle pushing hard in your lowest gear - it's not constant all the way - the steepest pitch on Hardnose is about 2/3 of the way up and you can't see it until you're right upon it as it pitches around to your left. Wrynose is less steep and more of a constant pitch. Wind direction can make a big difference - it's usually in your face on Wrynose which makes it tougher. First time up Hardnose I was riding 39x21, but was very fit and 62kg - it still ripped my legs.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    worse than anything else I've ever tried to cycle up - it feels like trying to roll a boulder up the hill while someone is trying to suffocate you.

I'm sure you'll be fine! If not, there is no shame at all in getting off and walking. However, once you do, it is almost impossible to get back on again.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    I have tried this Hardknott three times and failed three times although last year I was doing well until the rider in front of me fell off their bike sideways blocking my route and once you stop its impossible to clip yourself back in. It is unlike any other climb I have ever attempted.

Wrynose is not as difficult in my opinion although it is very steep toward the top.

There is also a very challenging climb after Hardknott and Wrynose on the Lakeland Loop which should not be underestimated.

Best of luck
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I did them today (from the West) - Wrynose I'd done before. TBH, the anticipation was much worse than the reality! It took me 20 minutes to get up Hardknott on a 28lb steel framed MTB.

Wrynose does have a couple of steep ramps at the top but, if you are coming from the West, the climb is half that of Hardknott. I think Hardknott - aside from the aforementioned steepest pitch (bloke in a Saab coming down kindly stopped and waited for me to finish that bit - unlike the Discovery that decided to make me stop and wait for him :roll: ) is actually hardest in the first section after the gate.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rhnb
    rhnb Posts: 324
    I went up the Duddon Valley to Cockley Beck and over Wrynose today (on a tandem). Lovely tailwind up Wrynose which made it a tad easier than normal.

If you're doing the FWC then don't underestimate the effect that having ridden 100 miles in very hilly terrain has on you and that at that stage you're at the foot of Hardknott.
    Basically it's all down to gearing. I'm a mere mortal and need a triple to get up Hardknott.

As someone has already pointed out, there's a stiff little climb on the Lakeland Loop after Wrynose which takes you up to Blea Tarn and the top of Wall End over into Great Langdale.

Hope it all goes well and the weather's kind.

Cheeers... Allan.
    ~~~
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk
    Cycle tour reports and the home of \'Cycling Before Lycra\'
  • 320DMsport
    320DMsport Posts: 306
    I'm on for both of these too.

I'm local but i'm swapping my 25 block for a 28 as everone says riding these at 100 miles i don't want to make it harder than it needs to be.

Good luck at both events, i'm looking forward to the loop now.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    If you have the right gears you can go up them no problem.
    If you will not get an enormous cassette and a triple then it's your choice to suffer or walk up.
    As they say, there's no bad weather , just the wrong clothes.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • 320DMsport
    320DMsport Posts: 306
    I've gone for a 12/27 on a compact, i was going to buy a 11/28 but as i've borrowed this for free i'll try it on the loop and goto a 28 for the fred if need be.

I hear the conditions of both climbs are very pot holed.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    rhnb wrote:
    I went up the Duddon Valley to Cockley Beck and over Wrynose today (on a tandem). Lovely tailwind up Wrynose which made it a tad easier than normal.

If you're doing the FWC then don't underestimate the effect that having ridden 100 miles in very hilly terrain has on you and that at that stage you're at the foot of Hardknott.
    Basically it's all down to gearing. I'm a mere mortal and need a triple to get up Hardknott.

As someone has already pointed out, there's a stiff little climb on the Lakeland Loop after Wrynose which takes you up to Blea Tarn and the top of Wall End over into Great Langdale.

Hope it all goes well and the weather's kind.

Cheeers... Allan.

Allan good to see your are still on the tandem with Conrad and hope you are well. I am in for both the FWC and the LL this year. Unfortunately I know what its like to climb Hardknott at 100 miles and its the worst feeling ever approaching it. Keep your front wheel pointing skyward
    Brian B.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    rhnb wrote:

You weren't near Ulpha pointing south a bit before midday at all were you - I saw a tandem pass me (just behind a normal roadie) in the opposite direction just before I turned off for Eskdale but that would have had you going down the Duddon Valley rather than up.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rhnb
    rhnb Posts: 324
    Yes, still out on the tandem most Sundays Brian. Either the hills are getting harder or I'm getting older ;-) Hoping to get out and maybe do Wasdale on the Lakeland Loop day. If so, we'll be joining the throng on the way back at the foot of Hardknott for some major suffering. We'll be on the route somewhere if all's well, so look out for us.

Rolf F
    No, not us if it was heading DOWN the Duddon - we were defintely going up (Bank End - Ulpha-Seathwaite-Cockley Beck). Sounds about the right time though, and I have to say, though we do see the odd tandem around the Lakes, I've never EVER seen one over that way other than in the FWC. Shame we missed it.
    A roadie caught us up just after Cockley Beck. He was from Kendal and had ridden up to Keswick and joined the FWC route from the bottom of Whinlatter. He looked fresh as a daisy! The recurring theme of the conversation seemed to be how much ride time everyones lost early on this year due to the ice and snow!

Cheers... Allan.
    ~~~
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk
    Cycle tour reports and the home of \'Cycling Before Lycra\'