Trying to find my first spd mountain bike shoe

pj74
pj74 Posts: 4
edited April 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi all,
I have been trying to find a good and cheap first pair on Monutain Bike spd shoe, would anyone please help as not to sure wot I'm looking for. Doing the C2C in May aswell so would like to get use to them before hand
thanks
:P

Comments

• KernowCB
    KernowCB Posts: 174
    DHB M1 - I'm well pleased with mine and they have a reasonable pricetag aswell.
    Whyte 905
  • KernowCB
    KernowCB Posts: 174
    DHB M1 - I'm well pleased with mine and they have a reasonable pricetag aswell.
    Whyte 905
  • Oberdiah
    Oberdiah Posts: 25
    I'm using these http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shi ... s-ec008781, my first spd shoe also. Very comfortable and being discontinued so fairly cheap...
  • Get yourself down to LIDL. Under £20. Ideal for the MTB. Used mine for over a year, very comfortable and withstand alot of punishment and hosing down. Just don't use the cleat bolt supplied with the shoe, IME they are not very strong.
    The brave might not live forever, but the cautious don't live at all.
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    bulkydaddy wrote:
    Get yourself down to LIDL. Under £20. Ideal for the MTB. Used mine for over a year, very comfortable and withstand alot of punishment and hosing down. Just don't use the cleat bolt supplied with the shoe, IME they are not very strong.
    +1 if you can find them.
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • Annoying that Wiggle have shunted the DHB M1 price up since it got popular.
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    My first and only SPD shoe, Shimano M160 bought form Merlin a year ago and they are still going strong..

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain- ... -m160.html
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • TorchXC
    TorchXC Posts: 33
    another vote for the crivit ones they're selling in lidl's, they're not the lightest but they are very comfy 8)
    Giant Reign
    KCNC / Superstar / Shimano SLX / Avid Elixir 'R' / Jagwire / SDG Ti Fly / 66's / Fox RP23.
  • roblade
    roblade Posts: 16
    ok a thread i can reply to LOL

I am realtivly new to the sport as well and splashed out £20 on the lidls shoes, very comfy to wear didnty use the spds with them as didnt have the pedals to go with them but made a huge difference in my riding with the flats. The sole of the shoe is rigid as they should be but you als have a firm (not hard) rubber there as well perfect for gripping flats.

Then i bought some Northwave bonafide MTB shoes second hand from a member on here and some spd pedals to go with them.

The northwave shoes are just as comfortable and just as stiff. The difference comes when your using spds/flats these shoes just arnt very good for cycling with flat pedals, theye are almost pure spd shoes. The sole of the shoe has a recessed area for the spd to sit in this means that when your walking on them its a natural walk not a clip-cloppy one as you get from the lidles shoes. This also lets you clip in a lot easier as the groves guide the cleats into the locator on the pedal without too much effort. The Civit ones from lidles have the cleats standng proud and can be a bit of a pin clipping in occasionaly

The lidles ones are £20. The northwave ones cost me £25 second hand (but hardly worn) which ones doe i prefer? The northwave wins hands down.

so if your looking to buy shoes on a budget plenty of choice out there if yu dont mind seocnd hand.

ROB :)
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) the bunnies are coming!
    (")_(") THE BUNNIES ARE COMING!!!!!
  • pj74
    pj74 Posts: 4
    I will try to get a second hand pair of SPD from someone as I have try the lidi one on and fell a little hard on the heel. So if anyone has a good pair please let me no and I will need to get the pedal aswell
  • vulcan808
    vulcan808 Posts: 10
    Just picked up a pair today (offer starts Thurs 15th) for £19 you cant go wrong. Well made, a touch heavy perhaps. Why buy someone elses shoes when you can have brand new. I am doing C2C this year too. They will get me thru that. And I have time to bed em in myself.