Wish me luck!

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
I'm scared! :oops:

Weather permitting, I'm doing this tomorrow:

Lakesride.jpg

Taking the mountain bike as a precaution - lower gears and flat pedals. This maybe my last thread :lol:
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Very nice but were in London is that? :roll: :P
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Good luck! There are some bitch climbs in the Lake District. :D

One day, I'd like to be fit enough (and light enough) to make it round the Fred Whitton Challenge. That one takes in a few of the Lake District passes, such as Hardknott, Wrynose Kirkstone and Whinlatter. Not one for lardy boys like me. =)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • sharm1969ca
    sharm1969ca Posts: 136
    hiya mate, I'm from millom originaly but moved to leeds and i know the area your travelling very well, be carefull on them hills buddy not just steep but not very wide so be carefull on the decent. so good luck on that.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    Agent57 wrote:
    Good luck! There are some ***** climbs in the Lake District. :D

One day, I'd like to be fit enough (and light enough) to make it round the Fred Whitton Challenge. That one takes in a few of the Lake District passes, such as Hardknott, Wrynose Kirkstone and Whinlatter. Not one for lardy boys like me. =)
    i know some lads that do it on steel rigid mountain bikes every year. they live in the lakes though so its not an issue but i also know some guys who take it on 3-4K road bikes that they deservedly ride and are great riders and they struggle around it.

i hate hills
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Errr.... that's Wrynose that is. :?

Are you out of your cotton-picking mind????? :shock:

Would you like me to prepare a search party for your knee caps? Or shall we just get you the crutches now???

Mad fecker. :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rolf_f
    itboffin wrote:
    Very nice but were in London is that? :roll: :P

Just to the left of Muswell hill :)
    Errr.... that's Wrynose that is. :?
    Are you out of your cotton-picking mind????? :shock:

Naaah, it's Wrynose and Hardnott (Wrynose, from the West, is a bit easy though......)

HardnottandWrynoseelevationprofile.jpg
    @Sharm - I'll be taking a precautionary approach - leaving slightly later now for the brighter afternoon weather. Done lots of walking in the Lakes so I know the landscape and the discs should keep things under control on the descents.

I'm working on the theory that it won't be as bad as I think it will be :lol:
  • Kieran_Burns
    I meant the bit on the 2nd link... I hadn't realised you were insane enough to turn right at the Cockley Beck farmhouse :shock:

Gawd.....
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rolf_f
    I'm doing it the other way round - so I'll be turning left at the Cockley Beck farmhouse and going up the short side of Wrynose. Otherside just looks like a slog! Mind, looking at the gradient profile, the East side of Wrynose looks a lot like Hardnott from the West and I've ridden down that and it didn't seem so terrible. I'll try and use that as a comfort.......

Maybe it will be fun....... :lol:
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Oh dear, is this the Wrynose that I drove many years ago when the bonnet of my car rose way above my eye level because it's over 33% in gradient?

Yeah, I've a good fun idea, have try doing it on a single speed bike!

:wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • rolf_f
    Yeah, I've a good fun idea, have try doing it on a single speed bike!

:wink:

It effectively will be single speed! I don't think there'll be many gear changes once I've started........
  • Kieran_Burns
    Are you alive / able to walk?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • sharm1969ca
    sharm1969ca Posts: 136
    C'mon Rolf, How'd it go mate?
  • You reckon he's still up there? :shock:
  • Holy Mother!!

Make sure you take crampons, rope, ice pick ..........
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    You reckon he's still up there? :shock:

maybe he realises he needs more miles to go up the table so is still going round the course like a trooper

hope all is ok rolf
  • rolf_f
    I live!!! :lol:

It was brilliant! :D Set off a bit late as the forecast suggested weather would be nicer after lunch - which it was as far as the sunshine went but the winds were pretty harsh. Set off about half 11 from Broughton in Furness. Almost immediately there is a bugger of a cliff of a climb (see gradient profile) - passed a girl on a nice Cannondale triple on that one and she then passed me on the descent to Ulpha. At that point I realised my attempt to sort the indexing out on my gears the day before hadn't entirely worked - the rear derailleur was clattering all over the place on some of the lower gears which meant I could only safely use the lowest two on climbs. After Ulpha, there is another insane evil climb and I followed the girl up that and we had a bit of a chat (some welcome encouragement from her!) heading across the moors towards Eskdale into a nasty headwind. Nice fast run down into Eskdale and a pleasant run up the valley spoiled only by knowledge of what was obviously coming next!
    P1070250sm.jpg
    The first section through the trees after the gate is one of the worst - must be 1 in 4 with the knowledge that once you've done that bit, you've still got another 1000 feet to go. That said, even with a 28lb Mountain bike (albeit with soft MTB gearing) it is just a case of plodding on.....until you get to the ramp of death! (It's not really called that!). You can see it in this close up with contrast turned up - the white car is pointing towards it - a sharp left turn up to the following right at a good 1 in 3.
    Hardknottdetail.jpg
    That really is a bit bonkers - a kindly soul in a Saab waited at the top for me to wobble up it - despite wobbles, I didn't have to resort to tacking! On the outside of the hairpin at the top of the ramp I hit a section where the road surface was broken and the wheelslip stopped me instantly. This is the ramp from Google Climbs of Death View - makes the climb below the ramp look almost easy......
    GooglemapofHardknottworstbit.jpg
    After that it was easier - funny how you get a different perspective of climbs like this: 'Oh great, only a 1 in 5 now - I can have a breather!' Only other problem was a Discovery heading down who thought I should stop for him. Got to the top - took a photo.... Total time for the climb 20 minutes and 38 seconds.
    P1070253sm.jpg
    This is looking towards Wrynose. Nice descent (if you have disc brakes) followed by what now seems a doddle of a climb to Wrynose summit - only about 500 feet to climb. The only difficult bit are two near 1 in 3 ramps at the top but they are easy to get to and beating them is more psychology than strength. This is Wrynose looking East.
    P1070259sm.jpg
    Then follows a spectacular descent where you need to give time for cars ahead of you as you can be way faster than them - I topped out about 37 mph and nearly got some air at one point.
    At Coniston, I stopped at a bench for an energy bar. Looking at all the tourists wandering around I actually (seriously!) basked in my awesomeness! I've never done it before but the sense of achievement I had is hard to describe; I was, at that point, owner of all the worlds awesomeness! Lucky I did stop though as the final run to Broughton was hell. Yet again I had a headwind and the route was just a continual sequence of steep ups and downs - not helped by me deciding I needed to bring my average speed up to 11mph (not a lot but I was making 3mph on parts of Hardknott!). Eventually, just short of Broughton, the Av speed indicator clicked over from 10.9 and final average was 11.1. Distances = 37 miles and 4500 feet.

Apologies for the waffle but Sundays ride really was a bit of a glory day. Ultimately, the climb was tougher psychologically than physically and I got to the top less tired than I used to arrive home after my commute from the 5 minute climb up into my village. I now think that the Fred Whitton next year is on the cards and that I really do deserve my new bike (if it ever arrives).

For comparison - below is my best effort at putting Ditchling Beacon on the same scale as Hardknott for those of you from down South who might be tempted to have a bash at Hardknott. Interestingly, it didn't take me much more than twice as long to do Hardknott.....
    HardknottandDitchling2.jpg
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Rolf F you did that ride for pleasure or a bet? :shock: :shock:

I admire you but I still think you nuts :lol:
  • Kieran_Burns
    It's an ambition of mine to do the same ride... at least now I know where to start from ;)

(although I think I need some SERIOUS hill training first!!!)

Absolute respect to you Sir. (although I do still think you are clinically insane)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Well done. That is a nice route. Meaning to do those 2 climbs at some point when I can shake off perpetual man flu and actually get some time in the saddle. I get up the lakes most weeks mountain biking but have a taste for tarmac this year for some reason.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Great effort, Rolf F. I like the juxtaposition of metric and imperial on your graph's scale (1.3kft). =)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Frankly I'm surprised the nurse let you out long enough to complete the ride but I guess that's where care in the community gets you ....

Chapeau fella!!
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Great TR, Rolf.

I might pencil in your exact route for later in the year....I'm going to have to try it ...or die on it :wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • rolf_f
    It is a good route for Hardknott and Wrynose. You can get from Coniston to Ulpha via a shortcut (which the Evans Ride It route takes) but that adds an extra climb in which you might not want. Besides, if you are coming from the South, you only end up driving further on roads you could otherwise cycle and Broughton is a good place to start from.

So, anyone thinking of giving it a go - just do! The sense of achievement is hard to beat. Now I'm off to book this: http://www.keswickmountainfestival.co.u ... /sportive/

PS to all of you who have been questioning my sanity, I have one thing to say to you:
    Wibble!