Short cycle lane

merkin
merkin Posts: 452
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8599140.stm
The spokesman said "The road marking in the photograph forms part of a new contra flow cycling facility extending between Adam Street and Churchill Way via Sandon Street and Guildford Crescent.

"It will be particularly useful for cyclists accessing the city centre from the Splott and Adamsdown areas.

"The marking is intended to highlight the point at which cyclists can turn left off the carriageway to join the contra flow facility. Accompanying signage is soon to be installed.

"Original plans for the road marking have not been followed and it will shortly be reduced in size."

Ah well that's cleared that up.... :?

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    £2k worth of effort wasted on that long cyclepath.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    I can't figure out how that cost £2k??
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Tea and bacon butties plus fags for the workers :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Despite it being bright red with a bike symbol freshly painted, the council have said this
    Cardiff Council denied it was a cycle lane but said the markings were too wide and would change to indicate a turning as part of a contraflow.

So it's not a cycle lane, then. It only looks like one because the council painted a bike on it.

''No, officer, it only looks like a red light....''

My sympathies to all council tax-paying citizens and cyclists of Cardiff.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    redvee wrote:
    £2k worth of effort wasted on that long cyclepath.

Sounds like they are going to waste more time, effort and money making it smaller!

I may have cycled along it but probably blinked and missed it :D - it's on my short route into work!

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    StefanP wrote:

Innovation meetings, feasibility studies, Future Road Plan meetings, Sustainable Transport Initiative meetings etc etc.
  • snellgrove
    snellgrove Posts: 171
    I think there's some shorter ones on that website which features excellent 'cycling facilities' each week or month.

Can't remember it's name / address at the moment though. It's a funny read (in a bad, sort of way as some of the facilities are woeful at best and downright dangerous at worst)

:edit:

Found it! Warrington Cycle Campaign - Facility of the month
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    gaz545 wrote:
    I've seen shorter.

:shock: :shock:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    gaz545 wrote:
    I've seen shorter.

:shock: :shock:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,450
    StefanP wrote:

You won't get a white lining contractor out of bed for less than a half day rate and more likely a full day rate so unless they were doing other stuff in the area that would account for the best part of half the price, the red high friction surfacing costs about £20 per m2 and pretty much any item of work will cost at least £2000 due to "mobilisation costs".

Someone messed up with that lane but CCC are reluctant to admit it for some reason!
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    I cycled along it today, very nice job - worth £2k, NO!

Seeing it first hand I really can't understand the point in it.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    There's one about the same worthless length in Highcliff in Dorset. Could possibly be even shorter :roll: . Next time I pass it I'll take a piccie and measure it.
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/