What to take out on the trails ??

s_blanche@hotmial.co.uk
edited April 2010 in MTB general
Silly question really but what do people take out on the trail ??
i have a full suss and tubless setup

i take;
tyre pump
2 muilti tools,basic allen keys, phillips, flathead etc, folding pliers with small blade, scissors etc.
water proof obv.
energy foods and drink as well as water
very basic first aid kit

Iv been told that a shock pump, tubes, patch kit, a chain tool and some links are worth taking too, should i ??

cheers :):)
Scott Reflex 20
Trek Fuel EX 8 2010

Work hard . . . . Play hard !

Comments

• GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Wouldn't bother with a shock pump, but would take the others.
  • so these rumours that a sudden discharge of air is just concous riders :P
    Scott Reflex 20
    Trek Fuel EX 8 2010

• Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    i'd be concerned if my shocks lost all air pressure as they're coil :wink: lol

i take pump
    waterproof
    puncture repair kit
    multi tool
    wallet (in case of pub)
    working phone
    water
    and a banana or 2

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    I take all the things you mentioned originally + the additional bits you are asking about! :roll: think I must be a worrier! No wonder I'm after a bigger pack and get back ache :)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited April 2010
    If the shock loses its air, you'll not be able to reinflate it anyway. so only carry a shock pump if you want to fanny about with the pressures.

Sounds like you're a bit overtooled, one good multi tool should be enough, possibly with seperate tyre levers. Tubes or patches are very useful though, I mean I use tubeless but I still carry a tube :lol: And at least a couple of powerlinks but a wee bit of chain is very occsaionally useful to have and weighs nothing really. Your multitool should have a chain breaker. But punctures, broken chains and loose bolts make up the huge majority of breakdowns so you want to be prepared for those.

Oh, also a tyre boot- which in my case, is an old toothpaste tube. The idea here is that if you rip a tyre, you can put the boot into the tyre then fit a new tube and the boot will keep the insides in. Never had to use this but I can see the point. And again, takes up no space, weighs nothing.

Most stuff in first aid kits isn't that useful for riders most of the time... you can improvise a sling from an inner tube frinstance so why bother with that? A couple of the strongest painkillers you can find is a good idea, maybe either a field dressing or a can of liquid bandage or somesuch- not so much because you need it but because it can help you back onto the bike. But most times, your response to an injury will be to get home or back to civilisation not to try and fix it yourself, and if you're not able to do that then nothing in a first aid kit will help much. So I just carry a couple of tramadol just in case I ever want to walk off a mountain with a broken ankle or something :lol: And a tin of spray bandage because you can use that to patch up a scrape and continue your ride.

I do carry a silver space blanket, which aren't actually all that useful either but can give a little extra shelter and help keep in a wee bit of warmth (especially in the wet) but more importantly are very, very useful for getting people's attention. Some people think these are completely useless, don't agree myself but they're not great. But again, they weigh nothing (there's a theme here isn't there...) and not too bulky.

Some people do more riding in exposed or remote areas where help might be a long time coming, that's a bit different and you'd want to be a bit more self sufficient. But for most folks there's really not much need.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • the pub is a no brainer ! :)
    tho i think a trip to my LBS is needed for a chain tool and links :) unsure on the tubes tho as i run tubeless ? i have slime in my tyres so that should stop the on thorn or two,
    i do worry tooo ..... :roll:
    Scott Reflex 20
    Trek Fuel EX 8 2010

• once you have broke the chain, are powerlinks the replacement ?
    Being a bit dense here arnt i :oops:
    Scott Reflex 20
    Trek Fuel EX 8 2010

• hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    Northwind wrote:
    IOh, also a tyre boot- which in my case, is an old toothpaste tube. The idea here is that if you rip a tyre, you can put the boot into the tyre then fit a new tube and the boot will keep the insides in. Never had to use this but I can see the point. And again, takes up no space, weighs nothing.

That is a brillant idea! :) thank you! Was going to end up buying some of those park ones which I bet are expensive.
  • ESHER SHORE
    ESHER SHORE Posts: 818
    I just take:

Park AWS-10 multi tool

Park mini-brute chain tool and spare power link

Blackburn pump

1 x park tire lever

1 x Specialized inner tube

silver / foil emergency blanket

+ water, some money, mobile phone and house keys

and food, energy drinks if going out all day....

I run tubeless tires (Stan's No-Tubes) so punctures are rarely a problem (a tire gash, may require the inner tube putting in) and work as a bike mechanic so my bike is always 99% dialled, meaning mechanicals are rarely a problem
    Call 01372 476 969 for more information on UK\'s leading freeride park - Esher Shore www.eshershore.com
  • Awesome :) im a mechanic but on cars so my bikes are pretty tip top :D
    so a new muilti tool with a chain breaker, links, tube and shock pump will be goin in the pack, as for the tyre boot, unsure on how the toothpaste tube thing works ??
    :oops:
    Scott Reflex 20
    Trek Fuel EX 8 2010

• GHill
    Seriously, why take a shock pump?
  • i take my shock pump incase i need to pump them up pre ride, or if someone else needs one, and that it really doesnt take up That much room in the bag! hardly ever needed it But last ride with the club my forks lost all pressure in one leg (after a hard ride a week prior to and me not checking them) and thus meant i dropped to about 20mm of travel loL! didnt have it on me so had 7 miles with soft floppy front forks, 90% offroad.

but i have a saddle bag which has 2 tubes, a repair kit, multi tool, chain tool, power links and a spare mech hanger for the frame (although now on a steel frame so is pointless but is a Very common one so left it there!)
    also carry a pump which is strapped to the seat post, for local short rides,

if on a longer ride it all goes in the camalbak with some additional bits and bobs, energy gells wallet etc.

like to be a bit over prepared as such, never harms!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Muddy1182
    Muddy1182 Posts: 146
    I split my tyre on a rock last week whilst out without a tyre boot. The only piece of flexible material i had was my debit card. Should have seen the face of the cashier in the bank when i said my chip and pin didn't work and i explained why! :lol:

In my camel bak i carry:-
    £10 (£5 note, and £5 or change)
    1 x Tube
    Mobile
    Waterproof
    Park tools self adhesive patches.
    Mini pump (to be replaced, maybe a blackburn?)
    Topeak multitool with chain tool,
    Spare power link
    mix of cable ties
    Small firstaid kit and some neurofen.
    My flexible friend (When i get a new one in the post anyway)
  • GHill
    i take my shock pump incase i need to pump them up pre ride, or if someone else needs one

So leave it in the car?
  • GHill wrote:
    i take my shock pump incase i need to pump them up pre ride, or if someone else needs one

So leave it in the car?

no its in my bag, its a topeak masterblaster so takes up hardly any space! if am on a local loop on my tod then i dont take it as use the saddle bag and pump strapped to the post but anything over an hour or so its the bag job!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
  • GHill
    Fair enough 8)
  • Northwind
    When you add up all the stuff in your bag that weighs nothing and takes up no space, you find it weighs too much and takes up half the bag :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • haha! yeah i know! doesnt take much to add up the weight, but when your 16st a few grams here and there isnt going to break the bank lol!
    especially when you carry 1.5-2L of water in the bag on the longer days! :wink:
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    Multi tool, tube(s), patchs, cable ties, home made tyre boots, water, tyre levers, pump, kit kat, bag of nuts, power links erm I think thats it!
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • easyboy
    easyboy Posts: 33
    I take pretty much similar to everyone else (no chain splitter tho shock pump in car)but usualy 3 tubes
    And a whistle & compass(i go off track a lot)
    2009 Stumpy Elite
    2009 Cube Ltd Race
    Its the little people in my head that told me to do it....
  • I don't understand why you'd carry a pump but no spare tube or repair kit. What do you use the pump for. Pretty much essentials really, though I've often been guilty of going without either on 30+ mile rides by myself - repeatedly.

Chain links and tool are handy. Chains do break in my experience and the stuff you need to fix them is tiny, and it's only a 2 minute job.
  • well as i have slime in my tyres, through previous experiences, i have had puntures where slime has tooks it time to block the point where i am losing air (poor slime me thinks) so a pump is needed :lol::wink:
    Scott Reflex 20
    Trek Fuel EX 8 2010

• _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    ray mears.
    Not really active
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Various multi tools, knife, brake pads, lighter, tubes patches tyre levers and a pump (not that I ever use them..), pliers, chain tool, spare links, kitchen sink, hip flask, haribo, food, 2-3L drink, phone, money, waterproof, maybe a spare pair of gloves, spare layer, buff, keys, and whatever I've forgotten to take out my camelbak from the last ride(s).

No need to take a shock pump.
  • Northwind
    You forgot the spare kitchen sink there
    Uncompromising extremist
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    2 litre water bladder for long rides, or 800ml bottle for shorter rides
    food
    multitool
    chaintool
    powerlink
    shock pump
    mini pump
    tyre levers
    self adhsive patches
    spare tube
    a few plasters of various sizes
    antiseptic wipes
    keys and phone
    spare gloves/extra layers/waterproof
    all in a 8 litre rucksack, with a 2 litre bladder
  • dr.a
    dr.a Posts: 120
    _Ferret_ wrote:
    ray mears.

LOL!

Out on the trail I just bring: Multi tool, puncture repair kit with tye levers and pump, some cable ties, food (serious food as in sandwiches and light confectionary), water, my phone (preferably with credit), my buff and spare gloves/hat. Need to get some spare tubes and a chain tool, though. And I've got a spare chain I really should start bringing.

Dr.A
    "If you're sleeping', you're not gonna play anything" - John Petrucci, 2004.

2002-2007: Terrano Bullion
    2007-2008: Apollo Guru
    2008-2010: Shockwave XT980
    2010: Carrera Fury 08