What Bike Are You Using For Sportive Rides

Black
Black Posts: 172
Hi please help looking for a bike ideal for Sportive long rides.
I am just over a buldging disc L5 problem so wanting a more
upright riding position.
I have £ 1500 to spend.

Thank you for your help and input.

Comments

• velocitizen
    velocitizen Posts: 327
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
    Enjoy the finest cycling in the Peak District.
    47, 75 and 111 mile routes.
    http://www.beestonccsportive.co.uk/
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    the Specialized Roubaix is very forgiving and has a tall headtube, long wheelbase and road noise dampeners in the frame. Test ride one to see if it suits you.

I absolutely love mine.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Where do you live? A good bike shop would listen to what you are after then help point you in the right direction. Many of them will even measure you up to ensure they get it right rather than just asking you how it felt after riding it up and down the street.

Tell us where you live and we could point you in the right direction
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Rob Penn
    Rob Penn Posts: 4
    I'd recommend the two bikes I have:
    - Wilier Triestina Mortirolo: a good entry level carbon frame; light enough, comfortable on long rides; I've pimped it up a bit.
    - Bespoke Rourke frame: this is worth considering and, if you get a frame made out of, say Reynolds 853 tubing, not as expensive as you think. You know the bike will fit.

Rob
    http://www.uketapetraining.co.uk
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    Felt Z35 is about as good as you get, Evans still have a few left at the reduced at £1299 it has comfy ride and got great write ups, worth at try out,
  • shakey88
    shakey88 Posts: 289
    Cannondale synapse.Nuff said :)
  • Hi Black,

Also have a plate in my spine after a prolapsed disc at C6/C7 and need a more upright position.

I've a Roubaix and it is brilliant. To be honest I find the gearing is less important than the dramatically improved position which reduces strain across my shoulders and tightness in the lower back.

Enjoy buying the new bike !!
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Consider getting a custom made steel frame

Custom bike makers deal with people with bad backs all the time and by fitting the bike around your needs it should be more comfortable

You don't say where you live but some good custom frame builders are Hewitt ( up north), Longstaff (staffordshire). Roberts (Surrey) and Argos(bristol)
  • suze
    suze Posts: 302
    Rob Penn wrote:
    I'd recommend the two bikes I have:
    - Wilier Triestina Mortirolo: a good entry level carbon frame; light enough, comfortable on long rides; I've pimped it up a bit.
    - Bespoke Rourke frame: this is worth considering and, if you get a frame made out of, say Reynolds 853 tubing, not as expensive as you think. You know the bike will fit.

Rob
    http://www.uketapetraining.co.uk

Have you been looking at my bike store?

I have both a Wilier with chorus and a compact and a Roukie 853 with a triple for the really hilly ones.
    �3 grand bike...30 Bob legs....Slowing with style
  • Trek Pilot 1.2

I have a friend with the same problem who swears by his, no back pain at all.

I have a Cervelo RS, you might be able to find one in your budget, similar sort of thing, maybe not as extreme.

I've never had back pain, just like the positiion.
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Seconded the Trek Pilot 2.1. For a grand you get 105 triple gearing, a decent frame with an upright riding position and decent own brand finishing kit
  • JohnnyAllez
    JohnnyAllez Posts: 785
    Roubaix
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Slane Cycles has the RS on for £1200 or similar. Great frame.

Once you have your position sorted I'd always ride 25 tires - for get 23s for the rear. Or even bigger. This will help your back out a lot. Get a carbon post if you believe the hype that it helps - it might be worth it.

But overall, a 25c tire at 90-95 psi will give you more cusion than any bike, wheel, seatpost, saddle combo anyone can talk you into.

Google the Specialized multi adjustable stem as well to fine tune your position as you heal. You don't want to spent £1500 and end up with a sit up and beg position forever. The Specialized stem can be adjusted for angle.

Buy 2 sets of bar tape as well - take the 3rd roll (you'll have 4 rolls) and cut it in half and tape from the brake levers to the stem a second time. Or use an old 26" tube - slice it lengthways and put that under the tape. I did the tape tricks for the Roubaix sportif.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • JohnnyAllez
    JohnnyAllez Posts: 785
    Spesh sell the gel bar pads (pack of 4, 2 for drops, 2 for tops)
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • sloxam
    sloxam Posts: 861
    shakey88 wrote:
    Cannondale synapse.Nuff said :)

+1

had a roubaix before the synapse (nicked from my garage, grrrr) which i bought as a replacement after some great reviews. wouldn't say it was comfier, but as comfy. the real gain imo is that more power goes through the rear wheel.
    i hate hills (cos i'm fat)

www.justgiving.com/steven-loxam/
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pho ... rig/115179

this is what i meant by double wrapping just the upper part of the handlebars. you can buy an extra set of tape or use an old tube.

let us know how you get on
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Not sure where you live but I got my bike from a small company in Stroud called Kinetic-one. I had been having problems with my next and shoulder and the advantage of this company is that they do a full and comprehensive assessment of your needs and limitations and design the bike set-up around that.

He also gave me a lot of advice on posture, technique and supplied a great bike for around your ballpark. Done nearly 3000 miles on it so far and it hasn't let me down.

Only drawback is it really helps if you can visit. I took a day off as hols to go there and again, it was really worth it as I have been injury free for 8 months, after suffering terribly with a poorly fitted bike before.

http://www.kinetic-one.co.uk/
    “I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle.”

http://mendiprouleur.blogspot.com/
  • markp2
    markp2 Posts: 162
    +1 for Kinetic One. My first and only road bike. Great on hills with only a double chainset.
    I have also suffered from prolapsed discs and think that correct bike fitting is much more important than the bike itself.
    Andy Morgan is really helpful and knows how to give you a comfy bike.
    Genesis Croix de Fer - my new commuting mount
    Saracen Hytrail - the workhorse - now pensioned off
    Kinetic-One FK1 roadie - the fast one - hairy legs though!
    Cannondale Jekyll Lefty MTB - the muddy one which keeps tipping me into gorse bushes!
  • miggers
    miggers Posts: 269
    I herniated then ruptured both L4, L5/S1 and went under the knife 3 years back.

I was back on the bike in 6 weeks. I ride a Bianchi San Remo for sportives and long audax. Initially raised the bars 25mm. Now they are lower than pre-injury.

Best thing I did was core training, dropping weight off the belly and getting a good fit...

Pete
    Peter Bragg
    www.shuttvr.com