Passportes du Soleil Questions

boz64
boz64 Posts: 81
edited April 2010 in MTB general
Hi

I will be doing the PdS this coming June and have no idea what to expect. Have any of you out there in Bikeradarland done this event? What is the terrain like in general (steepness, technicality)? :?

I am definitely not a downhiller... I'm more of a general trails/xc rider. I have an '09 Trek EX8 with 130mm travel and 185/160 discs. Will this bike be enough to cope? I'd be interested in hearing from any of you who've done this event with similar kit.

I will be changing the tyres for the event and will go with 2.35s F&R. I just don't know whether to go for single or dual ply tyres. I have to admit to being reluctant to pay the extra weight penalty for dual plys! I'm pretty light at around 10st, and I rarely puncture (haha famous last words!).

Suspension set-up will also be a consideration. I'll probably run it a bit softer. Any thoughts?

Friendly, helpful advice much appreciated. :wink:

Cheers
Liverpool Mercury CC

Comments

• JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    i haven't done the Pds myself, but i can offer you some general advice.
    are you getting uplifts?
    if yes, get the biggest tyres that will fit in your rims/frame, and get a highroller supertacky dual ply rear, minion supertacky dual ply front, and put your 185 rotor on the rear, and get a 203 upfront. that should be ok, but it also depends a lot on the geometry, and the strength of whels and frame, and how powerful your brakes are. however, with a 130mm travel xc/trail bike, you can ride the alps, just not as fast as people with dh bikes
  • stomith
    stomith Posts: 332
    We're novices (wife and I) but did as many XC trails as possible between Les Gets and Morzine.

We did it on Trek Hardtails (6000 and 8500) which were too light for our limited ability....especially on the steep downhills. Brakes were 180/160 at the time and were fine. It was the "not going over the bars" which was more of a challenge due to HT's being fixed at the back and light. A soggy rear end would of been safer.

Your Trek will be fine. It is very good for the soul, to be in those mountains.
  • As people have mentioned above reallly, Keep your butt over the back wheel and hang on for dear life you will have a amazing time, post a report when you get back :D
  • I'm doing it for the first time this year with experienced brother. Probably ride the PdS on a older Heckler, as there are a few climbs and it's quite an effort to complete the full course before the lifts close.

Using 203 / 185 discs, and swapping the tyres for Dual Ply 2.5 Minion DHF 42a on the front, and a 2.35 High Roller 60a on the rear.

We're arriving on Sat, riding PdS from Morzine on Sunday and then a mix of downhill and alpine XC for the rest of the week. Taking my BigHit for the gravity / uplift days!

Brother did it on a Stumpjumper FSR last year, so your bike is more than adequate.

Where are you staying?

John
  • Pands
    Pands Posts: 40
    Hi Guys,

I'm also going over in June for the PPDS, staying at the riders refuge in morzine, few guys from the club I am in went last year and said its hard going, even with the uplifts there is plenty of "normal" riding and climbing to be done.

Suppose its made harder by the fact everyone's running super sticky tyres, full body armour and full face lids!!

I will be taking my custom spesh enduro over, cannot wait!!

:twisted:
    Spesh Sworks Enduro Custom Build!!
  • boz64
    boz64 Posts: 81
    Hi guys

Thanks for the replies. I'm feeling pretty confident my bike will cope, just in two minds re the tyres... heavy dual plys or lighter singles?? Decisions decisions!

I'm going with a couple of mates, but sadly we'll only be there for a long weekend. Wish I'd booked longer now! We're staying in/starting from Chatel.

Maybe run into a few of you out there! I'll be easily recognised by the fact that i'm not wearing full downhill gear! LOL!
    Liverpool Mercury CC
  • Chatel is a good place to start there is loads of diffrent routes to choose from, Try the zip line that runns above you it looks fab to do, I think the road gap is at chatel i could be wrong though, Boz are you wearing a full face helmet by any chance?