Merlin Cycles, reliable?

2»

Comments

• pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Visit+Us.htm

Always good service including when I had a warranty issue although they moaned at me and said the wheel I sent back wasn't clean - I'd spent ages cleaning it :evil:
  • Very good service. Speedy delivery and excellent prices on lots of gear.
  • JamieW
    JamieW Posts: 114
    Terrible. I once ordered stuff and managed to get address and postcode wrong.... When I realised my mistake :oops: they had already managed to have it sorted and redelivered that avo to work...... Terrible terrible service.

I'll get my coat....

And my credit card for next order
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    edited January 2011
    Terrible service, i once knew someone who knew someone who had this mate that once knew someone who had a wheel brake.

(Thread seemed wrong without this kind of post) :wink:

Wally :roll: .

Just to add to the many other complimentary posts of Merlin Cycles, I've had no problems dealing with them. They ARE better than CRC IMHO. CRC are slipping big time. Better than Wiggle as well as Wiggle tends to be a bit pricey.

I had a Sigma Rox 9.0 malfunction after 6-7 months. I returned the computer to Merlin and about three weeks later I got a whole new unit from them or Sigma I cannot remember. So even when things go wrong Merlin do the right thing.

About 2 years ago they sent me the wrong spec bottom bracket. I emailed them as soon as it arrived. They emailed back within 15 minutes apologising saying correct one would be with me next morning. I returned the incorrectly supplied one that afternoon. Next morning the correct BB arrived with a till receipt for return postage refunded to my CC. Errors do happen and this was a genuine mistake which they apologised for IMMEDIATELY and sorted asap.

Buy with confidence.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • ill jump on the love wagon lol

got my DA 7850 wheels from them very cheap and everything else to be fair they are better that wiggle and CRC
  • mcruz88
    mcruz88 Posts: 1
    I cant recommend this company. I purchased a Basso Astra with Campy Chorus components. Not only did it take weeks to ship when it arrived it wasnt even assembled as promised on their site. When I called to find out why not they suggested that they dont assemble bikes this posh when shipping for fear of damage. That is nonsense. Bikes are shipped assembled all over the world every day. If packed correctly there is no problem. When spending that much on an item if it is indeed policy you would think that they would explain that IMPORTANT detail on the web site. That is information that is good to know. I was then forced to pay my local bike shop to put the bike together. An additional charge that need not have been made had Merlin done their job. At minimum I should have been discounted the price of the assembly service they didnt provide or credited that amount toward other items. Shop else where!
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    mcruz88 wrote:
    I cant recommend this company. I purchased a Basso Astra with Campy Chorus components. Not only did it take weeks to ship when it arrived it wasnt even assembled as promised on their site. When I called to find out why not they suggested that they dont assemble bikes this posh when shipping for fear of damage. That is nonsense. Bikes are shipped assembled all over the world every day. If packed correctly there is no problem. When spending that much on an item if it is indeed policy you would think that they would explain that IMPORTANT detail on the web site. That is information that is good to know. I was then forced to pay my local bike shop to put the bike together. An additional charge that need not have been made had Merlin done their job. At minimum I should have been discounted the price of the assembly service they didnt provide or credited that amount toward other items. Shop else where!

Did you give them chance to redeem/ explain themselves? Did you put your complaint in writing? What was their response? How quickly did they respond?
  • stokey1964
    stokey1964 Posts: 454
    Ive being using them for years with my mountain bike stuff and now road.

I ordered some lights for my wifes commuter last year and they sent the wrong ones.

I emailed them, they sent out the replacements next day and told me to keep the originals

they always seem to be cheaper than else where but do have limited road stock compared to CRC etc

Simon
  • griffsters
    griffsters Posts: 490
    Used them a few times, very prompt and excellent comms. Top company.
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    I bought the makings of my dream bike from them at a bargain price. Suffice to say, I was very happy (and I told them so as well! :))
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • Mad Roadie
    Mad Roadie Posts: 710
    I have nothing but praise for merlin - good prices , speedy delivery, and a no quibble returns and refund policy - Have spent over £1300 there in the last 6 weeks
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Small problem was resolved but did take a little too and fro.

Delivery is exceptional no worries there.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    I bought some Ultegra Pedals from them last year. Uder £50 and delivered in 2 days. Can't complain at that
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • I've bought a number of items from Merlin Cycles and I have to say they been helpful and competively priced but recently I've had to ask them to replace a set of faulty pedals under warranty. They have been unhelpful to say the least. At one point the Sales Manager told an outright lie. I told them that my only option was to seek redress via the small claims court - his response was that it would be cheaper for me to buy a new set of pedals! Thanks Merlin
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    No issues here superb
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    I would hope that 18 months later the OP has purchased, and received his goods.
  • Top notch place, and only a 2 min drive from my house:-))
    Cube Acid 2011 MTB
    Boardman Road Team....... yes i have had the BB re-greased :-)
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Probably the bestest out there!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • sephIOM
    sephIOM Posts: 1
    How long on average does it take the guys at Merlin to build a bike for Dispatch? Anyone got any clues? Just purchased one of the 2014 Felt Virtue Nine 60's they have on sale and didn't want to start another thread. But by the comments it looks like I have picked the right place to go.
    Cheers.
  • CYCLESPORT1
    CYCLESPORT1 Posts: 471
    Been around years, one of the best
  • the_rover
    the_rover Posts: 402
    sephIOM wrote:
    How long on average does it take the guys at Merlin to build a bike for Dispatch? Anyone got any clues? Just purchased one of the 2014 Felt Virtue Nine 60's they have on sale and didn't want to start another thread. But by the comments it looks like I have picked the right place to go.
    Cheers.

This sounds sarky but I really don't mean it that way but didn't they give you a date for dispatch and delivery?

Ive used Merlins loads and being close I call in occasionally and I've found them to be very helpful.
  • KonkyWonky
    KonkyWonky Posts: 186
    sephIOM wrote:
    Cheers.

It will depend if they have the bike in stock and how many orders they currently have to build, the average build time is irrelevant as they might not have an average number of orders waiting for build.

Have you considered contacting them for an estimated build date?
    2013 Canyon Ultimate AL 7.0
    2003 Specialized Allez Sport
  • one of my fave online shops
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • rollemynot
    rollemynot Posts: 436
    I have purchased Conti 4000s on Saturday - I will report when they arrive.......
  • Looked at the customer satisfaction ratings for about 60 online shops for a recent post about online bike stores. They were one of the top 5. My own experience with them has been outstanding.
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    I'd echo that. Bought loads from them over the years (when my LBS didn't have the stock, obviously) and never had a problem.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Merlin are fantastic when everything goes well - fast, cheap and reliable. They are also very good at dealing with questions/problems and you can speak to a human that listens and tries to help. However, they are very slow at processing returns. I have had to phone and chase a number of times when the recorded delivery said it arrived there days previous and on one occasion they had to hunt for the box, couldnt find it for a while and then did. They were helpful but it seems like returns just sit on the side until they get some spare time and feel like opening them up to deal with - a bit disorganised. I would always send returns recorded delivery to avoid any potential problems...
  • Merlin remain as one of my 'go to' suppliers. Rarely fail.

Another order a week ago. Another example of super service.

Great!!!
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • rollemynot
    rollemynot Posts: 436
    Rollemynot wrote:
    I have purchased Conti 4000s on Saturday - I will report when they arrive.......

Delivered 10 am today...... 2 tyres and tubes for £60 inc free delivery - I would say reliable and great value