Navigating long routes

mjd611
mjd611 Posts: 46
edited April 2010 in Tour & expedition
When doing long routes what do you use for navigation? Good old fashioned map, upload onto GPS, waypoints on GPS. Just thinking about doing some longer routes but don't really fancy spending £300 on 705 as good as they are.

Thanks

Comments

• iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    I tend to use OS Road maps, 1:250,000 scale (4 miles to 1 inch), I scan and print the section I need and put it in a plastic wallet, rather than take the whole map. I do the same with sections of Landranger maps (1:50,000) if I need more detail in some areas.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    I gather up any old road atlasses and cut out the bits I want, laminate them.
    There is a colourful 3 miles per inch atlas that is cheap in the right shops which is my favourite because it has the contours coloured in. Not very detailed but it gives you some idea of the terrain .
    I once picked a ride in portugal using a road map with no height info on it that turned out a bit hillier than exppected.
    once you have a laminator you can highlight the route on your chopped out map before laminating it. I have not found a good way to highlight the route after putting the plastic on except ringing points with permanent marker.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • xilios
    xilios Posts: 170
    Maps between 1:200.000 to 1:400.000 and a compass. This year we're taking along a small notebook asus eee901 which I have installed Microsoft mapoint europe and various online camping links like http://en.camping.info/ and a few films for rainy days :D
  • psmiffy
    psmiffy Posts: 236
    xilios wrote:
    Maps between 1:200.000 to 1:400.000 and a compass. This year we're taking along a small notebook asus eee901 which I have installed Microsoft mapoint europe and various online camping links like http://en.camping.info/ and a few films for rainy days :D

I have a practically identical approach - I have a prety good idea in my head what my overall route will be - then day to day I make it up as I go along using paper maps

The assus 901 is loaded with MS Autoroute which I can use independent of the internet for a quick "what if I went this way how far would it be? Memory map for viewing databases of POI files and down loading the track files from GPS - not totally convinced that I really need the asus for tours under 20days but I am unlikely to leave it at home now I own it
  • mjd611
    Thanks for the replies. Interesting that the 4 of you use maps, i was expecting less (small sample i realise).
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    You can get a Garmin Etrex Legend HCx for only £133 from Amazon at the moment. I paid about £150 for mine from Handtec. It has all the navigation features of the Edge 605/705 (uses the same maps) and makes navigation so so so much easier, particularly if you like using small lanes and varying your routes as much as possible. You will need to buy a bike mount for about £10, but £143 is still a long way from £300. The Edge has training features that you don't need if you just want to navigate and log routes. The Etrex uses AA batteries as well (which last about 20 hours) so its more convenient for touring when you ma not have access to mains.

You can plan all your routes on online mapping programmes and download them to the GPS.

I haven't used a paper map on the bike since I got my Etrex over a year ago.
    More problems but still living....
  • mjd611
    Thanks amaferanga. Didn't realise they still made etrex, does it come with street level mapping or is it just waypoints?. That would be perfect, and not to pricey either.

What sites do you use for mapping?
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    You do have to buy the City Navigator maps (or at least acquire them) or use free OSM instead. The maps you see will look identical to those on the Edge. The Legend HCx is much better than the old yellow Etrex.

My favourite for online mapping is bikehike, but other popular ones are bikely and bikeroutetoaster.
    More problems but still living....
  • psmiffy
    psmiffy Posts: 236
    amaferanga wrote:
    You do have to buy the City Navigator maps (or at least acquire them) or use free OSM instead. The maps you see will look identical to those on the Edge. The Legend HCx is much better than the old yellow Etrex.

My favourite for online mapping is bikehike, but other popular ones are bikely and bikeroutetoaster.

Totally agree - I never go on tour without my Etrex vista HcX on the handlebars - I have on occasion programmed it with routes on rides in the UK and it works very well - just cannot be bothered for touring - does not suit my make it up as I go along style