Denmark, Holland or Flanders?

Gotte
Gotte Posts: 494
edited May 2010 in Tour & expedition
Hi, my friend and I are planning a tour in Early September (I know, a bit late, but it's the only time we can make it).
We don't want to fly, but rather take the ferry, as it's so much more civilised. This gives us three options:

1 Denmark. We can sail from Harwich to Esbjerg - Esbjerg being about 30 miles north or the German border. I can speak some German, so we'd probably head for Germany: Schleswig Holstein, which is on the Jutland peninsular. I quite like the idea of the North Fresian islands, Sylt is supposed to be great. Anyone been to this part of Germany. It looks good on the internet. The only thing that concerns me is that I read somewhere that there is pretty much always a wind. I think I hate a headwind worse than rain.

2 Amsterdam: We can get the ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam. I've been to Amsterdam, which is a great city, but what else is there in this part of Holland? I have an image in my mind of nothing particular - Is it mainly rural or is there industry, cities? I know nothing. Again could head to Germany but where? Onsnabruck, Munster? Are there any jewels there?

3 Flanders: I've been to Flanders, a few times, so this option is not really a call for info rather than a description of another alternative. Never cycled there, though, so don't know how they organise the routes, etc.

I quite like the idea of Denmark/North Germany, as it's new and exciting territory. I'd love to see the Baltic and the white sands, and maybe some of those great old cities like Lubeck and Kiel. But the wind worries me. I don't fancy struggling all the way (or even just half the way, there or back depending on wind direction), but again, I know nothing of the land and don;t know what it's like as a cycling destination.

Anyone been to any of these? Can you offer any perspective?

Many thanks

Phil

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I can only offer insight into the Netherlands; we did a 9 day tour from Hook of Holland last year (you can sail from Harwich to Hook of Holland from there). We did a large circular route anti-clockwise, taking in Rotterdam, Dordrecht, Gorinchem, Utrecht, Amsterdam, Zandvoort, The Hague. There is a good mix of urban and rural riding, the cities aren't too far apart, but there is some lovely empty countryside too. Returning down the coast meant we cycled into the wind, but the path is behind the dunes so it wasn't often full-on, and the paths are so good it is a fairly easy ride.

We camped, and by far the best camp sites were the Nature Camping Sites. Costs 15 Euro's to buy the book/join (can join at the sites) and camping is usually 10 euros. The sites are quiet, simple, clean, no cars, brilliant!

The best city was probably Utrecht, lovely old city, a fantastic restaurant (Blauw). (It also has the most hilarious red light district, 20 identical houseboats along the canal beside the bike path out of town).

What the Netherlands perhaps lacks in "wow factor" it makes up for as a brilliant hassle-free place to cycle; none of the stress involved in cycling in some less bike friendly countries.
  • Gotte
    Thanks for that. I appreciate the input. How did you find the cost of living? Much the same as here?
  • Ive toured Holland, and lived in Germany for a couple of years (albeit southern Germany), and this is my take on it.

Netherlands:

The premier experience purely for cycling. Well maintained and wide cycle paths separate from the road go alongside every major road, in terms of just the cycling, there is no better infrastructure in the world...until you ride there you don't appreciate how good it is.

It is flat, but don't mistake that for easy. Cycling into the wind across the 40km dyke linking the mainland with the hook, was the hardest cycling i've ever done. At full effort we managed 7mph average for 5hrs, dont do that east to west trust me! That was the worst of it but mainly its nice open paths, in which you can cruise pretty quickly without traffic...a pleasure.

I like the country, but the cities are a bit dull I find...outside of the Amsterdam region. Beer was like €3 for around half a pint in most places, so if you fancy having a few beers at the end of the day, its not much fun.

Germany:

Good cycling facilities, decent cycleways, miles better than the UK but not upto dutch standards in many areas(its very dependant on the city in question). The country is so large, and most cars go by the main roads, that back roads are usually very quiet and provide great cycling opportunities.

Inland germany, its not so windy most most of germany in comparison to holland, but in the summer it can be very very hot (40*c), and with no wind it makes it unpleasant. In September this should not be much of a problem.

The cities i've found are much more fun, with a nice blend of history, things do do, and decent beer and food! Munster, that you mentioned is the most cycle oreintated town in germany...so i was told by my ex-german-girlfriend.

Just one thought, it might not be your thing, but I cycled the Rheinweg a few years back, basically followed the river Rhein. This can be started in Amsterdam, cycling down the river to Cologne, Dusseldorf, Koblenz, Heidelberg etc...it makes for a really nice trip. If you have the time you can get all the way to Switzerland.
  • Gotte
    Thanks, Michael.
    Actually, my last three tours have been in Germany, the first in the Schwarzwald, the second from Berlin to Dresden, and the third, up the Rhine and down the Mosel and back. I love Germany, and especially cycling in Germany, which is why I kind of like the idea of Denmark, because, should we so choose, we can just drop down into Schleswig Holstein.

Whereabouts in S.Germany are you?
  • Some info on here and some blogs.
    http://www.northsea-cycle.com/
    Peter
  • Aapje
    Aapje Posts: 77
    Gotte wrote:
    2 Amsterdam: We can get the ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam. I've been to Amsterdam, which is a great city, but what else is there in this part of Holland? I have an image in my mind of nothing particular - Is it mainly rural or is there industry, cities? I know nothing.
    I live in the Netherlands, so I can tell you about Holland from my perspective. Even though the population density is high, there is quite a bit of rural terrain between the big cities. The coastal area is also quite fun to ride through with pavilions on the beach where you can eat and lounge (for instance at Zandvoort, Scheveningen & Kijkduin). Leiden en Delft have very old inner cities and are great to visit. Around Rotterdam, there are huge industries. You can do some great rides there too (cycle paths run right by the refineries and other industrial plants).

As for entertainment, it really depends on what you are looking for. Some like to party day and night, others like to visit museums. Some want diversity, others are looking for something specific. It's hard to give good advice without knowing what you'd like to do (aside from cycling).

You might want to scour this site a bit which is intended for people like you (UK tourists looking at things to do in Holland):

http://www.holland.com/uk/
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Brugges Ghent Brussels then heading for the Ardennes Dinant etc makes for a nice trip if you fancy Belgium....ForHolland I enjoyed that best in Mid/late April for the bulbfields around Lisse and Queens day in Amsterdam.Off to the Romantic road- in Germany and Oberamergau in June(I have a ticket for the Play)
    jc
  • Gotte
    Thanks for that, chaps. Much appreciated.
    We came across flights to Munich that are cheaper than the ferries, and we've always fancied the Bodensee Koenigsee radweg, so we may just do that one instead. Mainly it depends on accommodation. We had a route worked out for flanders, but had a stretch where we couldn;t find a hotel because we were off the beaten track. The Bodensee - Koenigsee radweg should have accommodation a plenty, if any of our previous tours in Germany are anything to go by.
  • jcfpants
    jcfpants Posts: 14
    Me and my missus are doing Holland in September. Ferry to Hook of Holland and then clockwise, up the coast (so with the wind), skipping Amsterdam, across the dyke and then round the rural top, back down via Arnhem and Nijmegen. The top part of the country is apparetnyl very rural and the Drenthe region is supposed to be lovely.

And if cyclists are treated like royalty then what could be better? Can't wait.
  • fietslogies
    fietslogies Posts: 46
    Early september is not too late for cycling the continent!
    I'm sure weather will be more pleasant than now. Although it's half of may, it feels winterish. For Flanders and Belgium, check my signature!
    60 bicycle trails along Belgian canals, rivers and former railway tracks : http://www.bikely.com/listpaths/by/fietslogies
  • Aapje
    Aapje Posts: 77
    Early september is not too late for cycling the continent!
    I'm sure weather will be more pleasant than now. Although it's half of may, it feels winterish. For Flanders and Belgium, check my signature!
    I think that september is a great month for cycling. Fairly little rain compared to spring and without the oppressive heat of summer (but still very sunny).