extending 2008 float rl to 140mm

cypher
cypher Posts: 6
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
got a 2008 trance x1 with 120mm float rl forks

love it but just wanted to try a longer fork to slacken the head slightly, cant run more rear sag as i'm a lard arse and its running spot on at present.

i'm quite happy ripping forks and shocks to pieces so i've stripped the forks and moved the travel adjuster to the 140mm setting. its runnning 140mm travel but the damper unit in the RHS leg is now topping out with quite a thunk!

Added 20cc more oil to see if this softens the blow but to no avail, dont want to risk putting more oil in as the advised level from fox is 160 and i'm at 180, plus i'm running 7.5 wt rather than 7wt oil(not much difference i know)

my question is has anyone else done this and do their forks not top out with a thunk or do the 140mm as standard varients top out like this?

i measured the damper and it does extend the full 140mm, just wonder if there is a slightly longer bodied damper that doesnt top out so harshly.

may give mojo a ring after the weekend

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Something doesn't sound right!

Are these definitely travel adjustable? Many OEM forks are not. You suggest they are, especially of removing the spacer.
  • cypher
    cypher Posts: 6
    on the lesser oem fox floats the travel is limited by where they place the travel stop on the shaft of the air spring piston

on the '08's there are 3 holes that relate to 100, 120 and 140 mm of travel. as standard the stop is set to the 120 hole. with no spacers.

on the aftermarket forks, depending on model, the stop is set to the 140mm travel and they just place spacers below this to reduce to 120 or 100.

so extending the travel was just a case of moving the spacer. though on the 80mm travel forks i dont think you can extend beyond 100mm travel due to a lack of stanchion overlap.

damper wise, where i suspect the noise is coming from, there is a 120mm damper unit and a 140mm damper. cant see and markings on the unit to id it but when i measured the unit fully expended, prior to extending the forks it was sufficiently long to run 140mm.

the lock out and rebound damping is working fine.
  • I did exactly the same thing today, punched the pin out and moved the stop 20mm up to the 140mm position, with the same result, clunking top out sound.

Did you manage to find a solution, or am i ordering new damper parts from fox???