First Sportive - What to Expect

guttertrash
guttertrash Posts: 147
Hi all.

I have signed up for a Sportive event later in the year, and was wondering what I should expect on the day, as i'm an organised event virgin.

I know there will be feeding stations, so do they provide places to park your bike, or is it just a case of dump it somewhere and hope its still there when you get back - do you need to take a lock?

How do you generally find route finding?

It will be in an area i don't know particularly well and dont want to end up miles off route :)

I've never had to cycle as part of a group either, as I never got round to joining a club, and my riding buddies aren't exactly regular riders.

Any advice welcome.
Ribble New Sportive
Specialized Pitch Pro

Comments

• whats the event? someone will have ridden it if its established nd will be able to give you an idea of quality of feeds stations signage etc.
    Most people turn up park, and sign on then go get there bikes out the car, put nos on etc and then set off, on feedstops, its quite often possible to roll up get some food and water without getting off, but if you do you should be abl eto place your bike nearby, I've near heard of security of bikes being an issue at a sportive, but some one here may prove me wrong, but you wont need a lock
    Riding in a group, commonsense, let others around you know what you are going to do in plenty of time, ie stopping if in a bunch and the bunch isn't stopping.
    Try to share some of the work in a group, if you can't just let those whose wheels you are following that you are hanging on and appreciate all teh help they can give! most of all enjoy it!
    i'll ride anything, but I prefer carbon.......... she screamed!!

www.sportivecentral.com
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    SIgning can be a bit hit and miss in some events - you shouldn't get lost but it can happen - especially when friendly locals start moving signs.

In a group - commonsense sounds about right - don't get too close to wheels if you aren't happy doing it and stay off the brakes. If you are in a small group then no harm in letting them know you are a novice they may give you some advice - everyone has to start somewhere and most people should be friendly - if not then there'll be another group along in a minute.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.