Stupid SE London > London Commuting Question # 1,689,324

JohnBoyUK
JohnBoyUK Posts: 206
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi Guys,

I'm finally taking the plunge and starting to do my commute by bike from next Tuesday (was fully prepared for the train strike but am still gonna go through with it) so have got a couple of dumb questions for you..

To explain, will be traveling from Bexleyheath (SE London) to Mile End (E London) via the Greenwich Foot Tunnel. Bexleyheath to Greenwich is easy enough as have done that loads of times but have not done the other side of the river yet. According to some maps I've downloaded (from the TFL website and another one I cant name of the top of my head), the part from foot tunnel to Mile literally follows the National Cycle Route 1. Now is this clearly signposted and a faily fool proof route without a map or will I have to take the maps with me until I get to know the route?

As for parking, I've got myself 2 gold standard locks and have got insurance to cover the bike so will lock the bike appropriately but should I be removing from and back wheels or saddle from the bike too while I'm away?

I've got a pump, multi tool, 2 spare inner tubes, hi-vis waterproofs, tights etc, is there anything else I should be thinking of taking with me?

(See, said they were stupid questions). Any advice appreciated guys.

Cheers
JB

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    JohnBoyUK wrote:
    Hi Guys,

I'm finally taking the plunge and starting to do my commute by bike from next Tuesday (was fully prepared for the train strike but am still gonna go through with it) so have got a couple of dumb questions for you..

Good on you! And welcome! Hopefully you'll never go back to the stupid stinky trains... :D
    JohnBoyUK wrote:
    To explain, will be traveling from Bexleyheath (SE London) to Mile End (E London) via the Greenwich Foot Tunnel. Bexleyheath to Greenwich is easy enough as have done that loads of times but have not done the other side of the river yet. According to some maps I've downloaded (from the TFL website and another one I cant name of the top of my head), the part from foot tunnel to Mile literally follows the National Cycle Route 1. Now is this clearly signposted and a faily fool proof route without a map or will I have to take the maps with me until I get to know the route?

Don't rely on TFL for ANYTHING. Nor anything that has 'national' in the name... The signs for the cycle routes are hard to spot, and if you miss one, just one, you could end up hopelessly lost if you don't bring some kind of map. So yes, bring a map! When I first started I printed one out that covered my entire route and a bit to the north/south, as I (correctly) predicted I'd miss a turn at some point.
    JohnBoyUK wrote:
    As for parking, I've got myself 2 gold standard locks and have got insurance to cover the bike so will lock the bike appropriately but should I be removing from and back wheels or saddle from the bike too while I'm away?

Hmmmm, bit more tricky. If they're all quick-release, then depending on where you're leaving it, maybe. What you could do is take off the front, lean it against the rear triangle and put one of your locks through the front, rear and frame, and lock the frame to something. Depends on your locks. Also worth checking with your employer as to whether you can lock the bike indoors or somewhere with CCTV.
    JohnBoyUK wrote:
    I've got a pump, multi tool, 2 spare inner tubes, hi-vis waterproofs, tights etc, is there anything else I should be thinking of taking with me?

Some people seem to carry the entire contents of their toolbox with them, not me... Do you have tyre levers? If not they'd be a good'un to add... I always carry a baseball cap in case of rain - a big peak keeps the water out of your eyes. Eyes are handy when out on a bike. Of course, cash for a taxi and a credit card are good to have. Hmmmm and some latex gloves - changing tubes can be a messy business.

Other than that I think you're good to go!

Good Luck!

Oh, and don't worry about asking questions... :D
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Good for you! If you're planning a route, I do find Google's Street View invaluable, and I quite often write route cards saying stuff like "Right onto A235, towards Thornton Heath/Norbury" If you're truly rubbish with directions then it might be worth trying a dummy run on a weekend (traffic depending) without the time pressure.

I'd keep the bike inside if at all possible.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • On the route question: I only know the NCR1 from Island Gardens to Commercial Road. The route dog-legs its way across the Dogs. Until you've got a warm evening ride home when you can explore a little , I'd recommend sticking to Westferry Road right up to the traffic-light sculpture and on up to the second raised roundabout (Westferry Circus I think it's called). And having cycled up to the roundabout you then have to dismount and carry it back down steps (though I think there is a lift) towards the river. From there, it's reasonably clear until Commercial Road.

After that, as I said, I don't know.
  • JohnBoyUK
    Cheers Guys, you've put my mind at rest somewhat lol.

I never thought about using Google maps and the street view. Thats been invaluable. I can even see exactly where the pot holes are on Westferry Road :-)

Having followed Westferry Road up from the foot tunnel, I can see Westferry Circus. Using that in conjunction with bikemap.net, I can see the route up to Mile End Park and Stadium so should be ok finding my way from there.

I work at QMUL on the Mile End Road. Unfortunately, its definitely gonna be an outside storage job but there's plenty of CCTV cameras on campus. I think I'm gonna lock the wheels with the frame to the storage racks. If its gets pinched, I've got insurance. I'm tempted to take out the saddle though, but obviously that will leave a big blooming hole which could collect water. So presumably, I need to take a plastic cover and tie it over the seat post? Any other better ideas?

And as for the stinky trains, I've just had enough of them tbh. Could do with shift the extra 2 stone I'm carrying and could so with spending the £1,700 gold travel card cost on a new road bike instead ;-)
  • If the seat post is kept in place by a quick release, replace with a bolt (dead cheap from any bike shop). I tend to leave mine in place. Depends if it looks expensive (and general point about your bike, think of 'dressing it down' to make it less attractive to thieves)

The other trick is always to lock it next to a bike that is poorly locked - with two gold standard locks (U'locks I assume? My fave is the Abus Granit Plus)

Finally, don't fret to much, if they really want to nick a bike they will no matter what you lock it to/with. You've done all you can (insurance, locks) now enjoy the commute, you'll wonder why it took you so long to get started :D

Camden council have a good site on bike security:
    http://www.camden.gov.uk/ccm/content/tr ... CD6C.node2

And have a flyer on the subject:
    http://www.camden.gov.uk/ccm/cms-servic ... _id=343671
  • glenwatt
    glenwatt Posts: 155
    Well done for taking the plunge.

I too go that way from Bexleyheath to West India Dock Road.
    (Not every day though, shift working puts paid to that)

As you say down to Greenwich is straight forward although take care at the lights Junc of A206 with Frances St as the traffic can cut you up a bit as you head Westbound.

The advise above is about right North of the tunnel head up WestFerry Rd take the under pass to West India Dock Road and then up Burdett Rd straight to Mile End.

You could take a route through Mile End Park but take care in there after dark.

If you need any more assistance etc. drop me a pm.

Please do say hi to the old fella on the Beige Trek 7.5 FX as you fly past 2 stone lighter.

ps yes there are Plenty of pot holes on Westferry Road :-)
    Glen

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.
  • welcome and good luck with your commute...I used to do the isle of dogs route, both on the thames path and on the road depending on how I felt/how late I was...watch out in Greenwich foot tunnel....I do believe its no freewheeling now which you used to be able to get away with. absolutely no cycling. either way, the lift attendants are likely to make you carry your bike up if they see you cycling and probably free wheeling. it's a nice route though. also from memory the thames path used to get quite a lot of broken glass in places, it was fairly easy to spot though

one question...have you got lights? I know there's more daylight now but coming home in the rain and stormy weather the other day you definitely needed lights

enjoy the commuting...trains really stink and when you have to use them you'll miss the bike for sure :)
  • JohnBoyUK
    Good Morning one and all,

I sit at my desk (shhh!) as a converted cycle commuter. Done the ride for the first time on my MTB (Specialized Rockhopper Pro) with semi slicks this morning. Left at 6.50am from just by the Woodman Pub at Watling St in Bexleyheath and locked the bike up outside my office in Mile End at a fraction just past 8am. So just a touch over 1hr 10mins and I can honestly say that I took it pretty easy.

Got to Greenwich no problem, just down Long Lane in Bexleyheath, Oakhampton Cresent in Welling then Wickham St all the way down into Plumstead then followed the main road up into Greenwich, Charlton and onto Greenwich.

First experience of the Greenwich foot tunnel. Never realised how narrow it was having only seen pictures of it before. Most people pushed their bikes but you got the occasional one free-wheeling down.

The otherside of the water, I found quite easy thankfully. Followed Westferry Rd up to Westferry Circus as advised, went down the underpass to the underground roundabout, was a bit worried tbh beforehand but it was quite straightforward. Up the slope to West India Dock Rd but made a mistake and went right instead of left, so had to make my way back to Burdett Road. So maybe could have done less than 1hr 10 mins.

Have got two gold standard locks, one Abus U lock and one Abus cable locka and locked the bike as advised outside. I've got an exposure joystick front light and cateye for the back so along with my hi-vis jacket and reflective bib tights, I think I'm gonna be addicted.

However, the journey home is going to be different, as whatever way I go south of the river to get back to Bexleyheath, I either have to take on the hill at Bostall Heath, Shooters Hill, or take a slight detour and go Lee Green, Eltham, Blackfen, Bexleyheath on the way back, which I think would add a few extra miles (but then got Eltham Hill to contend with too but nowhere near as bad as the other two!).

Thanks for all the help and advice peeps :-)
  • Well done JohnBoy, bet you sleep well tonight.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Well done JohnBoy. Don't worry about the hills. Hills are good.
  • dvdfoz
    dvdfoz Posts: 62
    GlenWatt wrote:

You could take a route through Mile End Park but take care in there after dark.

Not just after dark, a collegue of mine cycled along the towpath last summer, late but still daylight. To be pushed from his bike by a gang he'd slowed to pass, had his bike taken, and given a kicking for his trouble.

An isolated incident, ( so don't let that put you off cycling), but not that great an area so take care.
    Dalston --> Canary Wharf, and all pubs inbetween
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    kelsen wrote:
    Well done JohnBoy. Don't worry about the hills. Hills are good.

Oh yes I have the drag up from black heath up shooters hill which isn't too steep to begin with but it's a long drag, the hill comign out of deptford upto the heath though is a bit of a leg killer though but managed it without stopping, it's what I get for living just off the side of Shooters hill though!
  • I am another Bexleyheathen! same route to greenwich but i carry on and go over tower bridge, sometimes divert and go through the greenwich tunnel, and on very rare days use the woolwich ferry, its good to change it about a bit!

I go back up lodge hill every night,but i go to the top instead of turning off, then cut through back to brampton road, great fun going down though, i can clock 40mph on the road bike! Pedal as much of it as you can and then get off and walk the rest, theres no shame in it, every week you will go a bit further until you can zoom all the way.

I used to use the 10 second rule, when i felt like i could go no further i would count to 10 then get off, wasnt long before i was getting to 5 and finding myself at the top of whatever it was i was climbing (off road and on road)

And well done, stick with it, i lost 3 stone and still have more to go, struggled through the winter but am now enjoying the warmer weather.
    08 Felt Compulsion 2 SE
    09 Corratec S-light
    10 Giant Defy 2
  • JohnBoyUK
    Chopper, I'm hopefully going to be a Welling-ite very shortly...my house move is scheduled for 30th April so that will be 3 miles off the commute from that point. Its on the main road (Bellegrove Road) just past the BP and Anchor in Hope pub so wont have to peddle past the top of Shooters Hill ;-)

You talking about Lodge Hill, jeez I fly down that (my garmin 405 recorded a speed of 29mph) coming down there with my brakes on too and that was way too fast for me lol.

I think I'm gonna retrace my route to the foot tunnel, then head to Blackheath from Greenwich then up and over Blackheath then over Shooters Hill. Although its the steepest, its the most direct route.

Is Lodge Hill (Plumstead to Belvedere direction) steeper than Shooters Hill? Have managed to cycle over Shooters Hill in both directions without stopping so think I'll be ok. Its just that my legs hurt too much lol.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    JohnBoyUK wrote:
    then head to Blackheath from Greenwich then up and over Blackheath then over Shooters Hill. Although its the steepest, its the most direct route.

That's the route I take but not from greenwich having come through deptford, it is a tad steep but most satisfying, I can't wait till I can fly all the way up from deptford to black heath even if going across there the wind is a right b**tard, drops are the best option.
  • Lodge hill goes from welling down to plumstead, the hill from belvedere down to plumstead is a real killer, thats woolwich road dont know if the hill has a name or not, have managed going up that one a couple of times but its very hard.

As for shooters hill i tried that way a few times but found that i wasnt really warmed up enough on the way in so really suffered by the time i got to the top, actually had to stop and hurl the last time i tried it!

Coming back the other way i havent had to get off yet, it starts off easy then ramps up just stick it in the highest gear you have and spin up it. The reason i dont go that way is its not my most direct route and i dont fancy going across blackheath etc.

I find the traffic going down through plumstead, woolwich and charlton etc is alot lighter both on the way in and out (and i have used the same main route for the last 10 years on motorbikes and push bikes)
    08 Felt Compulsion 2 SE
    09 Corratec S-light
    10 Giant Defy 2
  • glenwatt
    glenwatt Posts: 155
    Well done JohnBoy.

The hill along Woolwich Road down to or up from Plumstead I always call Bostal Hill (although normally I get it wrong). Yes it is a stuggle up, but so much fun in the mornings :-)

The other one down to Plumstead is Wickham Street after truning left at the end of Oakhampton Crescent.

Watch out, the guys controlling the lifts were having a good old moan about the people riding and scooting through the tunnel today, so I wouldn't be suprised if a pruge isn't organised soon. Don't think it's worth the £80 fine
    Glen

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.
  • JohnBoyUK
    Well done it all again on Friday after using Thursday as a rest day (well that and having to get the train back to Gravesend too to see my 4yo daughter as she obviously takes priority).

Done the journey to Mile End in 1hr 4 mins then done the route back in 1hr 15mins coming back over Bostall Hill to Brampton Road then on to Bexleyheath. OMG how steep is Bostall Hill...I managed to get up it without stopping but I was at crawling pace in the granny gear!

Tried my SPD Shimano's that day too and took to them like a duck to water I'm glad to say. With the clipping in and out, it makes you think so much more in advance of where you are gonna stop or need to stop, so is a realy good thing in my eyes.

I couldnt quite believe the amount of traffic coming back through Greenwich and Charlton about 5.30 on Friday. Makes me thankful I dont have to do it by car.

Was a bit gutted to come back to find my dhb bib tights had just a worn whole in on the back of my thigh though, given it was only the second time of wearing them, will be sending them back now.

But overall, am pleased that with a week of sensible eating (using the Daily Plate on the Liverstrong website to record absolutely everything I eat and not eating crap), I've managed to lose 8lbs already :-) Long may it continue.
  • Aye, Bostall Hill is a steep one. Last year in one of my less energetic moments I found I was cycling up it at 5 mph with a bus full of passengers on my tail and it couldn't overtake on the bend. Out of sheer embarrassment, I got off the road and let the bus go past.
  • JohnBoyUK
    I had my first near miss this morning. On the main road from Plumstead up to Woolwich. A woman in a brand new Ford Fiesta pulled straight out in front of me when I was only 5-10 yards away. How I didnt hit her or she hit me I'll never know but I didnt...and somehow managed to stay on the bike so still no clipless moments for me but very close to one.

I was too shaken up to say anything...but the Trek roadie behind me (who was about 6'4" and built like a brick oast house) caught the woman up at the lights and started banging on her window. I gave her a sarcastic wave as I caught up.

Then he left me for dead at the Woolwich Ferry roundabout but miraculously I managed to catch him in the Foot Tunnel lift. I said thanks for sticking up for me, he said no problem. Thoroughly nice chap :-)

One more month of paying my MTB off through C2W then I'm gonna treat myself to a nice road bike...and maybe a helmet cam to record the near misses lol.