Hybrid Question

citywest
citywest Posts: 2
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi, I am looking to get another bike through the C2W scheme which starts in May. I currently have a GT Avalanche MTB which is great but a little heavy, and as i want to start commuting during the spring and summer months to work which will be via a generally well surfaced canal towpath I am looking for something a little lighter and faster. This will be a 35 mile round trip. I am thinking of a hybrid as then this can be used for road, towpath and light trails plus leaving the Avalanche for more tougher terrain. I have been looking at the Boardman Hybrid Comp bike which looks great and recieves good reviews. However, this bike has 700x28c tyres and my question is would these be suitable for towpaths and light off road use? Or should I be looking for another bike or tyres that are a little beefier? I have a budget of about £500 so there are fair few options open to me. Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    I have an MTB for the rough trails and the occasional woodland romp, a hybrid (an old Dawes 501) as the 'hack' and a now obsolete Orbit Harrier as the road bike (which with a 38-42-53 triple/11-28 cassette has sufficient range and flexibility to cover all road eventualities).

I don't know what the Boardman's frame is like but, with your choice, I'd be more likley to go for a "fast tourer" / cyclo cross bike than a hybrid (ok it's £700 but a bike such as: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec020084).

It'll take panniers and guards and something between 28 and 32c tyres - possibly as narrow as 25c - on rims that will take some hammer on the rough stuff.

Bob
  • hi,I have a hybrid bike, its a ex police bike so i was told so not sure of age, but mine has only 28mm tyres and i've taken it everywhere, canals, forest tracks everywhere, brill on roads, faster than m/bike but more comfy than any racer. As for the boardman, it looks a nice bike but i wouldn't chuck it off road, looks a little to fragile compared to mine. If u want a used bike try useddudley.co.uk, or bargain pages. But if u insist on new try decathlon, good bikes but at proper prices.
    Hope u find what ur looking for.
    chris
  • w86h2000
    w86h2000 Posts: 18
    I've got a Boardman Hybrid Comp with the 700x28 wheels. You're better off not bringing it onto paths, more suited really only to proper cycle paths and on-road. You'll end up wrecking the tires and wheels on it if you do. I'd probably go for something a little more suitable for off-road if I were you.
    Orange G3 2011
    Boardman Hybrid Team 2009
  • I have a Cannondale Bad Boy 650 and have been riding it for 3 years, both for commuting to work (14miles) and even long rides (Manchester 100, transpennine trail..etc). I just swap the tyres for the type of riding I do.