OT: Lunch near Covent Garden

AyrshireBacon
AyrshireBacon Posts: 173
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Family and I are in London on Saturday, being touristsfor the day. Can anyone recommend a nice place to eat near Covent Garden.

75% of us are vegetarian, but not in a beansprout/soya/tofu way. We are all quite happy going to Pizza Express/Wagamamas/Ask restaraunts and the kids always find something on the menu.

So maybe a nice italian place that you know of?
time flies like an arrow
fruit flies like a banana

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    edited April 2010
    Yep, head away from covent garden market to the south, it'll be a great relief, and walk to Embankment tube, then cross the river on the footbridge (over the SCR killing field that is Embankment) and turn left. There's a Giraffe (great for kids, large and small), a Wagamama, and one other, without the manic business of Covent Garden, and a river view.

If you're lucky it might not be raining...

EDIT:

http://www.giraffe.net/restaurants - select 'Southbank Centre'.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Wahaca. You may have to queue but it is fantastic & cheap (well cheapish for London). One of my favourite places to eat in the whole of the big smoke.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Wahaca. You WILL have to queue but it is fantastic & cheap (well cheapish for London). One of my favourite places to eat in the whole of the big smoke.

Fixed that for you. It's Saturday in Covent Garden, on a bank holiday weekend. Run! Run for the hills!
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    My girlfriend & I are fans of a place called "Beatroot" in Soho - vege (almost vegan) - which is cheap and tasty. Went to a Lebanese cafe called "Yalla Yalla", also in Soho, on Sunday and were very happy with it.

Soho is very close to Covent Garden and if you're being touristy, you might as well have a wander there.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Try The Stockpot, just off Leicester Square. Not the most salubrious of places, but the food is good, the portions are decent and the prices won't make you run all the way back to Norfolk with your arms in the air.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I try and avoid Covent Garden, otherwise I would end up injuring tourists who have a knack of just stopping dead in front of me without warning.
  • Run! Run for the hills!
    HIlls? Hills!!! This is Norfolk remember. None of those them hills in these here parts. :D
    time flies like an arrow
    fruit flies like a banana
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    If you like pasties, there's a great pastie shop at the West end of Covent Garden (does a bunch of different flavours, veggie included)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • You are of course only 5 mins walk from Chinatown, where you can get some of the best (and cheapest) Chinese food on the planet, if that tickles your taste buds. Pick anywhere - they're all good, with tasty food and fast service.
    "If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink."
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Ignore all the naysayers, and head to Da Mario on Endell Street - 5 mins walk from the market, friendly family run Italian. I've been going there for years and it's great.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    bela pasta?

any way nice little place not too touristy etc.