Changing to a compact

El Diego
El Diego Posts: 440
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
My bike has a Campagnolo Mirage groupset. The chainset is a 53/39, which is playing havoc with my knackered knees. I want to change to a compact. My groupset is a 9 speed and I have found a Campag Veloce chainset, which is a 10 speed.

I assume I would need a new chain and rear cassette but would I also need to change the derailleurs and shifters?

Cheers.

Comments

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    El Diego wrote:
    My bike has a Campagnolo Mirage groupset. The chainset is a 53/39, which is playing havoc with my knackered knees. I want to change to a compact. My groupset is a 9 speed and I have found a Campag Veloce chainset, which is a 10 speed.

I assume I would need a new chain and rear cassette but would I also need to change the derailleurs and shifters?

Cheers.

Nope, I think it'd be fine with everything you have.
    you may, however, need to change the bottom bracket if the compact needs a different length spindle
    (and shorten the chain a tad, adjust the position of the front deraiileur etc.
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/speeds.html
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    You will need to change the bottom bracket. The 9 speed Mirage uses the older style square taper bottom bracket where as the Veloce uses the new Ultra Torque external BB.