Touring tyres

suffolk rider
suffolk rider Posts: 103
edited April 2010 in Tour & expedition
Can anyone recommend some good touring tyres? I use Continental Gatorskins on my road bike, which I find very satisfactory, but I assume I need something more robust in view of the weight of full panniers.

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    I've cycle camped on 25mm gators, riding lanes and paths no problem. If you want a bit of tread probably something from the Marathon range is the way forward.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • infopete
    infopete Posts: 878
    For the past two years I've been on Pro Race 2's and Mrs P cycled on Pro Race 3's last year.

This year I'll be on Kyrlions or Pro Race 2's again and Mrs P will still be on Pro Race 3's (cos she likes the colour).

This year we're cycling from Royan to the Med and turning around and cyclin back to the car.

Pete
    Oh and please remember to click on my blog:

http://americanbicyclegroup.wordpress.com

The more clicks I get the higher it creeps up the google radar :)
  • xilios
    xilios Posts: 170
    We always use Swchalbe Marathon Plus 35c, a bit heavy but can't be beat for comfort and puncture resistance. Just got four new tires for our upcoming tour through southern Europe.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    xilios wrote:
    We always use Swchalbe Marathon Plus 35c, a bit heavy but can't be beat for comfort and puncture resistance. Just got four new tires for our upcoming tour through southern Europe.

+1,

I've used these in 28, 32 and 35 and they have always been very reliable, even when well worn down.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• i've used vredestein moiree 28*c for the last couple of years, very good...but there seems to be a prolem with the supply of them in the UK at the moment.
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    28mm Gatorskins should do nicely but you for stg more robust, have a look at new Gators Hardshell which effectively are Gatorskins on steroids.
    http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle ... hell.shtml
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    If your bike is heavily loaded it's the volume of the tyre more than the rubber/casing that you need to worry about. If it's a road or audax bike you're touring on you'll probably only have clearance for 28c tyres, but that should be adequate unless you're riding on very rough roads or paths. Obviously more puncture resistant tyres will tend to roll slower, so that's a trade-off you'll have to decide upon, but really Gatorskins give a good balance so long as you're on reasonable roads. Remember tread is only useful if you're off road - slicks offer better grip in (virtually?) all circumstances on tarmac.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • infopete
    infopete Posts: 878
    Hi

the other day I suggested Michelin pro race or Kyrlions and I don't think I was taken seriously.

So.... where are you travelling to how many miles will you travel and more importantly why do you think you need fat slow tyres?

Pete
    Oh and please remember to click on my blog:

http://americanbicyclegroup.wordpress.com

The more clicks I get the higher it creeps up the google radar :)
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Touring tyres tend to be a lot more durable, if a bit heavier. The weight won't make a difference with a touring load, but they will roll a little slower. But why does it matter if you average 15mph or 15.5mph? You'll get more miles out of touring tyres and fewer punctures. Some will also give you the option of going on tracks that you wouldn't risk racing tyres on. There's something you really want to see down a track a mile long? Not a problem.

This isn't to say that you can't tour on racing tyres, at least if the roads are good and the loads are light, but if the OP is running Gatorskins on his road bike, he's pretty unlikely to want something racier on a tour.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    if you're happy with Conti Gatorskins then stick with them - they're perfectly fine for touring. if you were going on a really long tour somewhere remote then you might want to consider Schwalbe Marathon XRs (or Durangos or whatever they're now called) with harder rubber for more mileage, but otherwise Gatorskins are plenty tough enough.
  • Thanks for all these suggestions, which are really helpful, as over the last year I have started to tour for longer distances over two or more days, often requiring two full panniers. I love Gatorskins, but assumed I would need something tougher (and more boring?) for longer journeys in order to cope with the extra weight.
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    i've used vredestein moiree 28*c for the last couple of years, very good...but there seems to be a prolem with the supply of them in the UK at the moment.

No problem with availability, they were discontinued two years go. Pity they were popular
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    +1 gator skins I've got them on my tourer, been more than enough for me