The Tour du Mont Blanc - 330km and 8000m

http://www.sportcommunication.info/letourdumontblanc/index.php?langue=2

If you're looking for an extreme cyclosportive event, the Marmotte organisers have put together a new route this year for mid July. 330km and 8000 metres with seven mountain passes.

Cheers, Russell
www.grenoblecycling.com

Here's the blurb from the site:

Le Tour Du Mont Blanc® Cyclo is an individual cycling trip (randosportive) for well trained cyclists ! It's the resort of les Saisies which will give the cycling trip start at 5 a.m. Cyclists will be able to discover the 3 main regions linked around the roof of the Europe. From passes to passes and mountain pastures, you will see that the Mont Blanc can have different faces, demanding, exciting but where the proximity of the large glaciers is most principal attractions. After the crossings of Megève, Chamonix and Argentière (the limit of the Haute-Savoie department), the randosportive continues with the Switzerland passes of the Montets (1419 m) an its imposing landscapes.

Then the circuit passes through the Valais by the Col de la Forclaz (1526 m), Martigny, and the demanding rise of the Col de Champex (1418 m). The next difficulties will be the long ascent of the Col du Grand St Bernard (nearly 40 km), which is the culminating point of the transalpine tour (2469 m). This stage will mark the passage towards Italy. A descent without end wiil opens to cyclists the beauty of the Vallée d'Aoste. Short break to get some rest and cyclists will continue with Morgex and Pré-St-Didier for another rise of The Mont Blanc by the bends of the Col du Petit St Bernard (2188 m)

On the other side of the border, Borough-St-Maurice marks the return in France towards the Beaufortain. Cyclists will reach the mysterious pass of Le Cormet de Roselend (1967 m). Between forests and mountain pastures, this amazing rise will offer to you an unforgettable view point (turquoise water of the dam, ternal snow, and so on). Last effort, before joining the finishing line of this unique ride experience, the rise of the Col des Saisies by Hauteluce.

Comments

• JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    I`d check the date this was posted; it`s unreal :o
  • Lol, yep, I'd not thought about the date. No joke, I promise. :D

Russell
    www.grenoblecycling.com
  • Heckler1974
    Heckler1974 Posts: 479
    205 miles and 24000 ft of climbing (in old money)? :shock: Awesome (in the older sense of the word, it certainly inpspires awe)
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I got an email from Sprotcommunications this morning about this event, and had to check whether I was indeed the "poisson d'avril ". Didn't help that the link on the email didn't work. Googled it and there it was. I may give it a miss this year, that's nearly two laps of the Marmotte!
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    8000m is nuts. Done 6000m before, but the thought of another 2000....... :shock:
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    That's quite something. Can you imagine reaching the final climb and then having to haul yourself over? :twisted:
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    It looks insane, but a small part of me really wants to do it. I wonder how much harder it would be than the Marmotte, if instead of pushing yourself for the 7-8hrs you took it easier all the way round? But you're looking at c.15hrs :?
  • genki wrote:
    It looks insane, but a small part of me really wants to do it. I wonder how much harder it would be than the Marmotte, if instead of pushing yourself for the 7-8hrs you took it easier all the way round? But you're looking at c.15hrs :?

This is my thinking as well. I think it would be very tough but I think I'd be fine to make it over the Grand St Bernard and after that, it would be unknown territory. I've ridden the Pt St Bernard and the Cormet de Roseland and I know the Cormet de Roseland is quite tough at the bottom. Not sure I'd have the legs to get over the climb.

Russell
    www.grenoblecycling.com
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I would fancy this if it was not 2 weeks before masters track champs :D
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    The cycle tour company GPM10 do this route as a 4 day supported ride and if you read the press review on the site , it's described as the hardest ride in Europe given distance/terrain etc. A terrific route (when nice) but awful in foul weather. I've done all those climbs in the heat and a few in the cold/wet and it can turn into an endurance fest.

www.gpm10.com
    M.Rushton
  • I've walked the Tour du Mont Blanc* a few years back, and always fancied going back to MBK the route. Some great scenery and tough climbs.

*Obviously the one in the OP is a bit different as it sticks to the roads.
  • mrushton
    I spoke to the owner of GPM and he was involved in this when it was being set up but he wasn't happy with some of the details. He hopes to run it via his business as a 2 day trip next year which would be good practice for the actual sportive if it runs next year or great practice for the Etape/Marmotte.
    One day might be do-able but you would prob.need lights and I remember doing the Time/Mont Blanc sportive in hot weather and popping on the pull up to Le Saisies (dehydration) and that was half the distance of the proposed route. A 12 hour time would mean an average of 25kph which is fine on the downhills as you will be hitting 40/50kph v.quickly but that will obviously be offset by the uphill bits.
    M.Rushton
  • The start is at 5:00am with a last finishing time at 23:30, which is a maximum of 18.5 hours for the trip and an average of 17.83 kph.

I'm planning to sign up. I'm really not sure if I can make it around, but I'd like to try. My average Marmotte speed last year was just under 21kph.

Russell
    www.grenoblecycling.com
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    God I soooooo want to do this. Possibly in 2011.
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Is some brave journo going to road test the SRAM Apex over this? Bonkers ride, good luck if you're going for it.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • mrushton
    The start is at 5:00am with a last finishing time at 23:30, which is a maximum of 18.5 hours for the trip and an average of 17.83 kph.

I'm planning to sign up. I'm really not sure if I can make it around, but I'd like to try. My average Marmotte speed last year was just under 21kph.

Russell
    www.grenoblecycling.com

The Marmotte 'only' as 3 major climbs - Glandon/Croix de Fer,Telegraphe/Galibier and Alpe d'Huez whereas the TdMB has the climb from the Sallanche Valley to the Montet/Forclaz,then the 12km Champex climb followed by the Grand Col the then run up the Aosta valley (albeit a low gradient) then (for me) the tough bit. You have do the Petit Col, the Roselend and finally the Saisies. It's a grand day out but the descents are tough as well being as fast as you want and some of them (eg the descent into Bourg St.Maurice and the descent off the Roselend) very switchbacked. The descent into Aosta is fast once you are on the main road (good for a gruppo). This ride would prob.suit a club who can ride together.
    M.Rushton
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I fancy it for 2011

Daft but a good daft I think.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • This is on my things to do list for next year.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    They'd better have some heavy duty broom wagons for this - it sounds like it'll be carnage
  • KKB
    KKB Posts: 28
    I'm guessing no one really knows if this is a goer for 2011, as we are coming over to do La Marmotte this year and it might be a bit of a push to back up two weeks later. :shock:
  • It's the first year they have run the event so I would guess it's a test for Sportscommunication.

Even if they don't run it next year, there's always the 225km BRA event which takes in Galibier and Croix de Fer, and which will be held in 2011.

Cheers, Russell
    www.grenoblecycling.com
  • Karl2010
    Karl2010 Posts: 511
    christ thats hard to the core. I fancy it though. :)
  • tonyscp
    tonyscp Posts: 111
    Has anyone actually signed up for this. I'm keen (if that's the right word) because,

a) I'm doing the Marmotte again this year (did it in 8:39 2 years ago)
    b) going up to Morzine around the weekend of 11th to watch the tour so can check out most of the climbs
    c) can take an extra week off work
    d) I'm 52 now and unlikely to be able to contemplate doing it again!

The problem is that the website seems as impenetrable as Sport Communication's. I think I've managed to register an interest, but haven't received any confirmation email, and there doesn't seem to be any way to get beyond this point. Anyone else actually got a confirmed place and handed over any cash?

Cheers,
    Tonys
  • Karl2010
    Karl2010 Posts: 511
    Sadly i have an Exam the day after the ride so it looks like ill miss out. Hope they do it again next year.
  • I've signed up. An bad accident on wednesday 14th shot me last minute out.
    Now, I hope i can be part of Alpenbrevet 2010 in Meiringen (Swiss).
    In 2011 i will start at "Peakbreak". A nice event over 7.stages (1.000 km/18.000hm) Starts in Villach (Austria), look and book www.peakbreak.com.
    Best wishes