Video Cameras

phoebian
phoebian Posts: 497
edited April 2010 in MTB general
And not the helmet cam type. Does anyone use them? My father is having thoughts about getting rid of his Panasonic HDC-SD9 and I thought it would be cool to use, to make videos of me mountain biking. Still fairly inexperienced myself so there wouldn't to much be mega huge air and awesome tricks going down, but it would be cool non the less.
What are your thoughts and how do you go about filming? If you do use a video cam for recreational filming of yourself can you post any links to them?

Cheers.

Comments

• Personally, no I dont use "proper" video cams.

I find they're too bulky to take out on the bike, and unless you only want to film 1 small section, there dosent seem to be much point.

If you really wanted to get off-the-bike footage as well as helmet cam stuff, imo, you'd be better off buying a half dozen or so of the cheap ebay cameras and setting them up at various points on a run (that way you dont need to keep stopping and starting).

That said, I've seen some great footage from normal video cameras, but it's almost always been done with a rider AND a camera-man / film crew.
  • furby
    furby Posts: 200
    It depends on what you want to flim. Pure helmet camera videos get borng quickly.

Find some interesting different sections that you can session, go with a couple of mates and try get creative with different angles.

The Panasonic HDC-SD9 is a pretty dam swish camera, take advantage of it and you could get some really good results. Wish I had a camera of that standard.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Panasonic HDC-SD9 looks quite nice, you get HD quality (not that that'd be any good for you tube etc) its 3 CCD which is always good. get yourself a cheap tripod so your shots are steady and a couple of bigish memory cards and you're sorted. edit it cheaply on windows movie maker and job done :D
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Has the camera got an AV-IN socket? If you can run a bullet camera into it, it'll be much more versatile. Furby's spot on, fixed position head cam footage can be pretty dull, static camera footage is more of a hassle to film though (stop, set up, ride, stop, pick up)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • furby
    furby Posts: 200
    welshkev wrote:
    you get HD quality (not that that'd be any good for you tube etc)

Both vimeo and youtube run HD now.

The biggest problem with HD is the power required to edit it all.

As welshKev said, a tripod is an essential, and they can be got hold off rather cheaply.
  • phoebian
    phoebian Posts: 497
    Have a tripod also, the camera itself is really small and light. I think the only real problem would be the filming. It has an AV-IN, but would need to buy a bullet cam....
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    furby wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    you get HD quality (not that that'd be any good for you tube etc)

Both vimeo and youtube run HD now.

The biggest problem with HD is the power required to edit it all.

As welshKev said, a tripod is an essential, and they can be got hold off rather cheaply.

ah didn't know that, then it'll be perfect in HD for you tube etc :lol:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    phoebian wrote:
    Have a tripod also, the camera itself is really small and light. I think the only real problem would be the filming. It has an AV-IN, but would need to buy a bullet cam....

You would, but it's great to have the option. Sometimes you want to stop and shoot, other times you just want to ride.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bobs bikes
    bobs bikes Posts: 589
    i once made a mount for my cam to go on the bike. i got a great lap of donnington last year on it, but it was a bit big and bulky. footage was better than the helmet cams etc.

but alas, on the next outing, i ditched the bike on a downgill run and the camera took the brunt of it. the mounting was that good, it tore the camera in two!.

200 quid camera vs 1 quid mount..... bugger! :roll:

for good footage, as people say use a tripod and a mate to get riding shots. it will take a while to get some footage long enough to use, but combine it with on board/helmet footage and the results can be very affective.