Tracks

Cyclingcowboy
Cyclingcowboy Posts: 65
edited August 2010 in Track
Howdy from across the pond!

I race in time trials over here on the track at Lowes Motor Speedway. For those of you who may not know, LMS is one of the larger NASCAR tracks in the US, at 1.5 miles long. I know of another similar track (former NASCAR track converted into a cycling track. So I was just wondering, do y'all have any similar tracks in the UK? Old auto racing tracks or active tracks that they run cycling races on?
-The Cowboy

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway." -John Wayne

"Converting calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of 3000 miles per gallon." ~Bill Strickland

Comments

• There are road races held on race circuits - in fact there is one on Friday this week. Trouble is they are not much fun, as too wide and exposed and usually too flat. As far as I know in Wales all of the outdoor tracks are purpose built and much much smaller than what you describe, much closer to the size of an indoor velodrome.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    There's the 3-mile Aintree Circuit in Liverpool where Stirling Moss won his first World Championship Grand Prix in 1955. Still used now for motor racing, and is used for the Eddie Soens Memorial bike race (Ed Clancy won it in 2009).
  • Interesting. I like the look of the Aintree Circuit. As for LMS, here's a good shot:

http://www.charlotte-autofair.com/view0_md.jpg

It's fairly flat, with the exception of the banking curves. We stay down at the white inside line. The curves are about impossible to ride up. But Turns 1 and 2 are 26ft higher than turns 3 and 4. so there's a nice easy drop on the back straight.
    -The Cowboy

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway." -John Wayne

"Converting calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of 3000 miles per gallon." ~Bill Strickland
  • dave5n
    dave5n Posts: 3,307
    Mallory Park, Darley Moor, Curborough - All in the midlands
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Not sure if he means oval tracks or just racing circuit, if the latter theres loads in the UK all the ovals are typical velodromes sometimes round athletic track.
  • love2ride
    love2ride Posts: 224
    Castle Combe. Cheltenham race course. Thruxton
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    american race tracks dont do corners :D

I'm in to my track racing but dont really fancy half mile straights and long sweeping bends
    Crafted in Italy apparantly