Avid Juciy 5's new pads... sticky brakes

Benji77
Benji77 Posts: 19
edited March 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,

I have just replaced the pads on my Avid Juciy 5s. I have followed the instructions pushing the pistons as far back as they will go with the old pads on, inserted new pads but when putting the wheel back on they grip the disc very closely, meaning that the wheel won't spin for very long at all as the pads are rubbing against the rotor.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
ben.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    bedded them in yet?

did the pistons go fully back or is there too much fluid in the system?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Benji77
    Benji77 Posts: 19
    I haven't been out on the bike since fitting them.

The pistons went as far back as they would go... i.e. if I carried on pushing one side out, the other side would come in so they were are far apart as theyd go. I have changed the fluid in the brakes yet but didn't have this problem when I last replaced the pads?
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    Will let Nick have the final word, but I've found my 5's pistons a bugger to reset. Takes a lot of effort to get the pistons right back. Once there though the pads will fit fine.

Curious about overfilling the system. Would this be caused by bleeding the brakes without having the pistons fully resent? Any other causes Nick? It's just that it seems to be a common response and I have no idea how this would happen.....
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    you need to push the pads back at the same time.. but also you might want to bleed the brakes too.

remember the brake fluid pulls the pads back as well as pushing them together - if its spongey they can drag

also the brakes have a reservoir, so it will be quite hard (but not impossible) to over fill, provided you have bled correctly.