Fitting new Avid Elixir 5

Newton1981
Newton1981 Posts: 32
edited March 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Quick question, I have an Orange G2, with Rock Shock Tora fork and have got some Elixr 5's coming on Thursday, question is, will I have everything I need to fit them?

I'm not too clued up on PM and IS so would appreciate a bit of help! Cheers!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you might. it depends on what you have ordered.

Have a look in the FAQs for info on the mounts.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ive ordered the standard kit which I believe comes with adapter for the front, but Im not too sure, just wondered if anyone had installed this product on this set up and had any advice!

Cheers, will check out the FAQ now!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    edited March 2010
    Post Mount and IS mount.

TECH_Disk_tab_type.jpg

My Avids came with an IS mount and I have post mount forks had to buy a post mount adapter from chain reaction one of these

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13717

edit: forgot to mention I have 185mm front disc it might not be neccesary to use an adaptor if you are using a 160mm disc
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    stubs wrote:

My Avids came with an IS mount and I have post mount forks had to buy a post mount adapter from chain reaction one of these

but if the OP has ordered a kit with 160mm rotors then no adaptor is needed on the front.

we still dont know what the OP has actually ordered as "standard kit" could mean anything.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    nicklouse wrote:
    stubs wrote:

but if the OP has ordered a kit with 160mm rotors then no adaptor is needed on the front.

we still dont know what the OP has actually ordered as "standard kit" could mean anything.

You beat me to it I edited as fast as I could :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Right, I've just had a look on the web for my Forks (Tora SL) and it looks like they are Post Mount, does this help in providing a prognosis?

And sorry, the rotors are 160mm (the brakes I have on now, Funn F2 - have 160 mm rotors too). Im just hoping that it's going to be a quick easy job with no need to order extra stuff, as Id love to get them on and enjoy them over the bank holiday (even if the weather is going to be pants!)
  • scottbowlby
    scottbowlby Posts: 143
    By standard kit do you mean..

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain- ... r-set.html

if so you'll be fine as it states "front caliper fits IS or post mount"
  • As in these:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/avi ... 5#features

I got my local Evans to sell both front and rear for Merlins price (I think I broke him on the phone, he was gutted he'd lost 90 quid!)

They don't state they fit IS or Post Mount, but I'm presuming (hoping) that the kits are the same!
  • scottbowlby
    scottbowlby Posts: 143
    You'll be fine, as you can see in the Evans stock photo, theres one fitted to a Post Mount fork :)
  • Cool, thanks everyone!

Should be fun trying to fit them as I dont have a workstand, I reckon the missus is getting roped in as an extra pair of hands!!!!
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    When I got my Elixir CR it came with a few different mounting brackets. Full instructions for mounting to both IS and PM are in the manual.