front mech query

Gilesw2010
Gilesw2010 Posts: 121
edited March 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
hi all,

Ive got an XT Front mech, and the issue is when I shift to the largest chainring on the front and smallest at the back, the chain is rubbing against the inside of the mech cage. I think the problem is that the mech isnt't shifting enough to the right.

I don't want to start messing with limit screws without prior knowledge so if someone could point me in the right direction as to how to adjust it that would be great.

cheers

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Probably a half turn (or a few half turns) anti-clockwise on the barrel adjuster at the shifter should do the trick. You should be able to see the effect as you do it.

The front mech should shift further out than its final resting position when changing to the big ring, so it is unlikely the limit screw needs adjusting as it would probably be having trouble shifting up at all if it was the issue.
  • Gilesw2010
    oh ok - thats good- I really didnt want to start messing with the limit screws! I'll give that a try.

cheers
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Gilesw2010 wrote:
    hi all,

Ive got an XT Front mech, and the issue is when I shift to the largest chainring on the front and smallest at the back, the chain is rubbing against the inside of the mech cage. I think the problem is that the mech isnt't shifting enough to the right.

I don't want to start messing with limit screws without prior knowledge so if someone could point me in the right direction as to how to adjust it that would be great.

cheers

sounds like it is moving too far.

Unless you mean it is rubbing on the inside of the outer part of the cage?

if this is so add tension to the cable.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Gilesw2010
    thats right Nicklouse - its rubbing against the outer part - thanks. I'll give the barrel adjuster a tweak.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    See here. It's really quite simple.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Gilesw2010
    cheers for that - seems like a good source of information. I did have a look at it last night and I got from it that it would be a matter of adjusting one of the limit screws, so I gave it a small turn but that didnt help, so I'll try the barrel adjuster and see if that helps. If not, LBS!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It's worth learning to do yourself even if it seems daunting at first. You may as well try, at best you'll fix it. And the worst outcome is that you'll have to take it to the LBS to be sorted, but you were going to do that anyway right? :wink:

It sounds like either more cable tension is needed, or the high limit screw is slightly too far in.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Gilesw2010
    I think you're right - whats the worst that can happen right? :roll:

I'll give it a go later.