Help fitting cadence sensor

flyer
flyer Posts: 608
edited April 2010 in Road beginners
I can't fit the Garmin 305 Edge cadence to the rear chain stay as it keeps hitting the spokes, please see attached picture.

Cant fit it to the inside and concerned the mph sensor will hit the spokes!!

Anyone fitted with with suceess?

Thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hu17/4458187788/

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Put the sensor on the underside of the chainstay and adjust the angle of the arm or bring the arm down so that it sits inside the chainstay. Mine is mounted in the latter on a 120oln frame.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • mikeeye
    mikeeye Posts: 162
    I have mine in the same location as yours is - but the arm is rotated downwards. You can see it on this picture.

I've glued a small neodymium magnet onto a spoke (using araldite rapid). You can see that on the same picture (at about 9 o'clock).
    If you still don't know what recursion is, read this sentence.
  • obviously you can tilt the whole unit on the stay. With the arm up like you have it I'm surprised it hits the spokes.

My arm i rotated downwards on the premise that if a spoke hits it it wont drag the units arm into the wheel.

My clearence is so small that I actually have the magnet (which protrudes maybe an extra 3mm) on a spoke form the other side of the wheel. Its now outside Garmins parameters (5mm disctance from unit) but works fine.

Also if your stays are slightly teadrop you might move the unit around a bit to get a better angle.
  • flyer
    edited March 2010
    Mike Eye

Thanks, but when mine is in that position it just hits the spokes, pitty

Looks like fitting it under the stay may work

Thanks anyway

Flyer
  • flyer
    Forward Loop

I will try and mess around and do as you suggest.

I am not really bothered about the MPH sensor, ie the arm. But cant bend it in a position that looks safe.

I have left it in the upright position however, it doesn't take much for it to move and if it did it would jam into the spokes.

I will try some of your suggestions

Thanks

Flyer
  • Roubaix frame + Garmin cad sensor = Nightmare. (The curved chainstay on the Roubaix means its is either too close to the spokes or too far away from the crankarm with nothing in between.

Even if you fit it without clipping your spokes, you'll, if like me, be worried that the first big bump you take will knock the sensor into your spokes, breaking them all in a flash, leaving you 30 miles from home with storm clouds gathering,.....

Actually maybe that is just me. :wink:
  • Incidentally, I fitted the cad sensor to my new bike, used it 3-4 times, took it off.

Out of interest, is there a reason for wanting to know your rate of cadence?
  • The garmin sensor produces speed data etc - not just cadence. The GPS unit will approximate if there is no sensor - but its not as reliable.

lots of people use cadence in one form or another as part of a training programme.
  • That's true, and don't get me wrong I'm just asking if there is a fixed reason for wanting the sensor attached (for a training program) or just because...(like me)
  • Heckler1974
    Heckler1974 Posts: 479
    Roubaix frame + Garmin cad sensor = Nightmare. (The curved chainstay on the Roubaix means its is either too close to the spokes or too far away from the crankarm with nothing in between.
    :

Weird I fitted it to my 2010 Roubaix without a problem. :?
  • Heckler1974
    Heckler1974 Posts: 479
    That's true, and don't get me wrong I'm just asking if there is a fixed reason for wanting the sensor attached (for a training program) or just because...(like me)

Personally I tend to use cadence a little like a rev counter as I have a nasty habit of mashing up hills in big gears (nothing inherently wrong in that of course just it feels like I've used less juice if I spin up a big hill in a smaller gear which makes a difference on a longer ride) so If I look down and my cadence is dropping up hill I'll drop it down a gear.
  • Roubaix frame + Garmin cad sensor = Nightmare. (The curved chainstay on the Roubaix means its is either too close to the spokes or too far away from the crankarm with nothing in between.
    :

Weird I fitted it to my 2010 Roubaix without a problem. :?

Your frames a couple of generations on from mine. (Specialized FACT 6r - 2008). I could never get the sensor mounted on the crank arm (to align with the frame sensor without being to close to the spokes). I'm over it now :wink:

Although I'm thinking, I may re-attach to my BMC. I've scared myself looking at GPS speed and distiance accuracy claims on the internet.