burst spokes

Graydawg
Graydawg Posts: 673
edited March 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Gentlemen, (and Ladies)!!

I need your assistance!

Just went out to the shed to find my bikes rear wheel has 2 burst spokes. Aside from that the wheel is perfect so I am just looking to replace the 2 broken ones.

Problem is, on CRC there is different sized spokes and I am not sure which ones I need.

The wheel is from my 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc.

http://www.specialized.com/gb/en/bc/SBC ... nuItemId=0

The spokes are 1.8mm (15g) Stainless steel, in black colour.

What do you recommend as a suitable replacement?

Thanks in advance!!
It's been a while...

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You can replace them, but my bet is he other spokes will quickly follow. This seems to be quite common on these wheels.

My advice is to get a new wheel or fora shop to replace all the spokes.

Of course you can try it... You need to measure an existing spoke on the same side of the wheel. From inside of elbow to the end.
  • Graydawg
    Cheers Sonic for your words of wisdom!

When you say the end of the spoke does that include the nipple or is it just to the top of the nipple?

Apologies for the dumb question, I've never had to change a spoke before, however I understand the basic principle behind the job! ;)
    It's been a while...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Right to the end - you may have to remove one to measure it. Or go from the hub to the rim and add 2mm.
  • Graydawg
    lol - cheers dude. You know I can change cylinder heads on cars, fix gearboxes etc, yet when it comes to replacing a spoke, I haven't a clue..... LOL
    :oops: :oops:
    It's been a while...