Mountain Bike shoes

dormer88
dormer88 Posts: 110
edited March 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi guys i have just brought a kona bolt and am looking to use it mainly for MTB and also the odd downhill events when i can. What type of shoe would you suggest? A duffs type shoe or something else?

Scott

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I am geussing you are using flats?

If so then you can't beat a pair of five tens :D
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I have a pair of British Knights that I bought for £17 from TK Maxx, as a backup for my 5.10's when I submarine them, because it takes a couple of days to dry them out.

But boy oh boy do you notice the difference in grip and the extra cuts on the shins. :lol:
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • TowerRider
    TowerRider Posts: 430
    Look up at the top right, do you see login? directly below there is the search facility.

I wear Five Ten Karvers.
  • dormer88
    dormer88 Posts: 110
    Thanks guys il have a look at the five 10's!! Just made my bike up! Took me bloody hours but looks awesome!! I have a slight rubbing noise not loud but just wondered if i had done anything wrong?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    5 10s/ AM40s are great, and very confidence inspiring but not neccesary- I ride in bog standard regular Vans a lot of the time and since they have more than enough grip, the fact that my 5 10s have more grip doesn't really matter. If your footwork's up to scratch the grip doesn't make that much difference, unless you screw up. But, they can be very confidence inspiring, and everyone screws up sometimes, so maybe they're worthwhile for that.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    If you're using bog standard plastic pedals, then spending the money changing them to MG1s and using regular trainers will make more of a difference than using expensive shoes on cheap pedals IMO.

I use MG1 pedals and Karrimor trail shoes (can be bought for about £20 from Sports Direct). They're grippy, warm and waterproof, perfect!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I use V8s and cheap as chips Karrimor trail shoes/trainers. Waterproof, warm and grippy. Perfect, and cost me about 15 notes.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    bails87 wrote:
    I use MG1 pedals and Karrimor trail shoes (can be bought for about £20 from Sports Direct). They're grippy, warm and waterproof, perfect!

Now see I didnt find my Karrimor shoes any good because they were too curvy for trail comfort so not much rubber was in contact with my DMR pins to be any good, as soon as I switched to a flat soled trainer (skate shoes are perfect) it was much better.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Briggo
    What pedals?

I've found my MG1s to be much grippier than my V8 copies.

I suppose it depends where your foot rests on the pedal too, the ball of my foot is probably just behind the front edge of the pedal, so the curve between the front and heel of the shoe is off the back of the pedal anyway.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    I normally ride SPDs, but was using flats the other day because I was doing some jumps, It was a wet day and I was using some old waffle sole Vans and trusty DMR V8s I was expecting some slippage issues, but didn't have any at all, even on some bumping trails, jumps and drops...was quite impressed and don't think i'm going to bother forking out for 5:10s.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    bails87 wrote:
    Briggo
    What pedals?

I've found my MG1s to be much grippier than my V8 copies.

I suppose it depends where your foot rests on the pedal too, the ball of my foot is probably just behind the front edge of the pedal, so the curve between the front and heel of the shoe is off the back of the pedal anyway.

DMR V8's.

Just didnt get on with them at all, kept losing grip left right and centre. I'd say the front of my foot mainly rests on the centre-ish of the pedals (the bit before the toes) whatever its called.

Switched to some Scott flat soled and bam, no loss of grip.