Ashima Disc Brake Rotors

coblck
coblck Posts: 217
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi looking for some advice have just purchased shimano xt brakes front and back and i am undecided of which rotors to buy, have looked at shimano XT's but also like the Ashima Disc Brake Rotors, does anyone use them if so any problems or suggestions thanks in advance.
Giant tcr pro ultegra
Cannondale CAADX GRX 812
Voodoo Marasa 2011

Comments

• Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    coblck wrote:
    Hi looking for some advice have just purchased shimano xt brakes front and back and i am undecided of which rotors to buy, have looked at shimano XT's but also like the Ashima Disc Brake Rotors, does anyone use them if so any problems or suggestions thanks in advance.
    Hi Matey,

I was running them for about six months but they had a tendency to warp. First my front 180mm disk went out of shape, my initial thought was that it may have happened whilst transporting my bike but soon afterwards the rear 160mm Disk went the same way.

You also need to be careful with regards to pad choice, superstar Organics where fine but I went through a set of EBC organic pads during a dry lap of the Marin trail, about 25 km. Note EBC do not warrant their pads with this type of disk.

To sum up they're just a bit too fragile for my liking (Note they're only 1.6mm thick) and you need to be careful with regards to pad choice. On the plus side they are light and have good bite, almost too good, but IMO are not worth the trouble.

I have since replaced them with a pair of Hope floaters which I can report are still straight and true. Hope this helps
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I'm using Ashimas with XTs, faultless so far... Though you do have to bear in mind that one of the reasons they're so light is that they're thin. But I lost no power between them and my old Hopes, so far they're functionally identical really.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    If you are getting them just to save weight then don't. You will save a lot more rotating weight if you get some lighter tyres.

If you are getting them for blingness then again, don't. Go for some floating Hope's. They come in 6 different colours :P
  • Northwind
    peter413 wrote:
    If you are getting them just to save weight then don't. You will save a lot more rotating weight if you get some lighter tyres.

But you save more by getting both, without really makign any sacrifice. Why would you buy heavy expensive Hopes? :wink:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    Northwind wrote:
    peter413 wrote:

But you save more by getting both, without really makign any sacrifice. Why would you buy heavy expensive Hopes? :wink:

Because they will last longer (so long as you don't crash on them :roll: ) and they are hope and lets face it, everyone loves a bit of hope :wink:
  • Northwind
    The Ashimas aren't exactly disposable though, they'll still give a decent lifespan. And since they cost 2/3s as much the Hopes need to outlast them by 50%, which I doubt they will even if you don't bend them.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Why not just get the XTs? Unless you're contesting podiums I'd have thought rotors would be like seatclamps and QRs- just get something that works and forget about it.
  • peter413
    Northwind wrote:
    The Ashimas aren't exactly disposable though, they'll still give a decent lifespan. And since they cost 2/3s as much the Hopes need to outlast them by 50%, which I doubt they will even if you don't bend them.

Actually, talking about cost of rotors, I asked someone from superstar about if they are going to be making floating rotors since they always have dirt cheap quality components.

They said they are yeah...........................but for 35 quid :roll:

Thats a fiver more than the Hope rotors :lol:

Oh well. Maybe they will see their error and bring the price down. Lets hope so :wink:
  • coblck
    Just ordered hope 203mm and 180mm floating discs to go with my xt setup thanks to all for your help and opinions, they will go with my hope hoops.
    Giant tcr pro ultegra
    Cannondale CAADX GRX 812
    Voodoo Marasa 2011
  • Dirtydog11
    coblck wrote:
    Just ordered hope 203mm and 180mm floating discs to go with my xt setup thanks to all for your help and opinions, they will go with my hope hoops.

Just a heads up!

You may have to file around 1mm of your caliper mount in order to clear the rivets, you'll get a better understanding of the problem when you fit them. Don't let that put you off though, its really easy to do due to the fact that they're alloy, it only takes a minute or two. So if you haven't already got one, get yourself a small file.

I'm currently running the same setup as your planning, XT 775 calipers and Hope floaters albeit 180mm disk up front.
  • coblck
    Thanks for the heads up i have a packed of hope shims i'm sure i will work something out. Which pads do you use ?
    Giant tcr pro ultegra
    Cannondale CAADX GRX 812
    Voodoo Marasa 2011
  • Dirtydog11
    coblck wrote:
    Thanks for the heads up i have a packed of hope shims i'm sure i will work something out. Which pads do you use ?

Superstar sintered but I've not long fitted them so can't rely comment on their performance.
  • coblck
    Final got the courage up and fitted brakes, filed about 1mm off caliper mountings and fitted discs went like a dream everything looks so cool in hope red with XT caliper better hard to tell about power until fully bedded thanks to all for there advice and comments.
    Giant tcr pro ultegra
    Cannondale CAADX GRX 812
    Voodoo Marasa 2011
  • Dirtydog11
    coblck wrote:
    Final got the courage up and fitted brakes, filed about 1mm off caliper mountings and fitted discs went like a dream everything looks so cool in hope red with XT caliper better hard to tell about power until fully bedded thanks to all for there advice and comments.

Great stuff! and in red, great minds.... 8)
  • coblck
    Aye red hope discs with my red hope hubs looks minted just back from blast well happy with brakes just ordered superstar Kevlar pads will pop them in when they come and hopefully be even better cheers again for tip on filing caliper
    Giant tcr pro ultegra
    Cannondale CAADX GRX 812
    Voodoo Marasa 2011