Pleasant roads to ride out of Alicante

snakeeater
snakeeater Posts: 113
edited February 2014 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

I have the opportunity to take my road bike with me to see inlaws in alicante for a long weekend this weekend. Im already living in spain but would like to know of any nice roads I could explore by riding out of alicante city. At the moment I dont have a decent map but I may be able to source one from somewhere - all I have is th AA roadmap of spain (although its good enough to get a general idea of the roads, its not detailed enough to show the roads less travelled).

Looking at my AA map I see I could get to Campello or Santa Pola somehow. Any other good routes that you've experienced would be useful to know and any handy pointers really welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• megilleland
    megilleland Posts: 786
    Alicante has embarked on a network of cycle paths which can be seen here: It is a large file, a few minutes to load.
    The main ones out of the city are south west alongside the A-79 towards Elche, north west along Avenida de la Universidad (A-77) where Calle de Fortuny joins it, and from the CV-828 across the north of the city and north west to El Campello.

The website Grupo Ciclista La Florida gives you a selection of routes - some with map and profiles. The routes I would suggest are route 21 (allows you to visit Elche and the UNESCO World Heritage site for its Palmeral and also Santa Pola on the coast), and route 46 (allows you to travel along the seafront climb up into the hills and a fast descent down the N-340 back into Alicante. Use Google street view to get an idea of the routes.

Cycling in Spanish cities isn't that bad as most streets are one way. Armed with a good street guide you should have no problems. Also call in at the tourist information centre - they usually can give you a free map of the city to plan your way out.

Tourist Info Alicante Centro
    C/ Portugal, 17 bajo
    Estación de Autobuses
    Tlf. (+34) 965 929 802
    Fax (+34) 965 920 112
    alicantecentro@touristinfo.net
    www.alicanteturismo.com

Oficina de turismo
    EXPLANADA DE ESPAÑA
    Explanada de España, 1,
    edificio Carbonell

Tourist Info Alicante RENFE
    Avda. de Salamanca, s/n
    Estación de Tren RENFE
    The more you spend - the faster you go - the less you see.
  • Bump, anyone else ridden in the area around Alicante?
    If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending