Single Speed Upgrades

catbaier
catbaier Posts: 123
edited April 2010 in Road general
Hi,

Just ordered a Genesis Day One Cross having sold my MTB. I'm looking forward to going back to basics (again) with the single speed set-up.

I've had couple of SS mtbs before, and the first thing I've done is get a new White Industries Freewheel. But what about with a road/cross bike?

I've ordered a new saddle (Brooks Tour Pro) and pedals (Simano A530).

Which cranks are best suited?
Is the White Industries freewheel too butch?
What about wheels? If I wanted to shave some grams what wheelset sould I get?

How would you do it up, without blinging the hell out of it! Bear in mind it's a Reynold 520 steel framed single speed... so a set of carbon-fibre aero-bars for £5600 might be a little over the top!

Comments

• stickman
    stickman Posts: 791
    It's always nice to put some better tyres on a bike.
    Bikes, saddles and stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/
    More stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65587945@N00/

Gears - Obscuring the goodness of singlespeed
  • catbaier
    That's it? Tyres?!

Wow.
  • GarethPJ
    GarethPJ Posts: 295
    Why start ordering upgrades before you've even ridden the bike? You need to ride the bike to know what needs replacing. For example the seat might suit your butt just fine, so it seems a bit strange to be spending money on a new one. Looks like you're suffering from OUD. It seems you're keen to swap almost every component, which is an odd thing to do with a brand new bike. You would probably have been better starting with a frame and building your own bike around it. The problem with doing it your way is that you've started with an entry level bike, so no matter what top end kit you put on it you'll still have an entry level frame. I knew a man who managed to spend three times as much upgrading his Edge One as he did buying it in the first place, the problem being that the rest of the components outclassed the frame. The trick is to match all the components at a similar level. Which is of course why, for example, Specialized don't sell the Allez with a full Dura Ace gruppo.

If you must follow this path then the first step with any entry level bike should probably be the wheels. Don't bother with off the shelf wheels, go for a handbuilt set from your nearest decent wheel builder.
  • catbaier
    You've misconstrued my intentions here.

I'm not some numb-nuts trying to spend their money needlessly. If I were I'd have a Fixie Inc Peacemaker, or something custom made. I'm simply asking what you would upgrade if you could.

p.s. Genesis saddles were made by Satan... or at least that's what my ars* thinks. I've had 3 in the past.
  • GarethPJ
    GarethPJ Posts: 295
    Sorry if I got hold of the wrong end of the stick, but when you're talking about replacing the seat, wheels, freewheel and cranks on a bike that hasn't even been delivered yet you do give a certain impression.

I gave up on buying complete new bikes a long time ago. I think the last road bike I bought would have been one of the original Langster's before they were officially imported. The wheels were awful (nice tyres though), the bars didn't suit me, the brake levers were as cheap and nasty as they come and I didn't like the seat. On top of that the gearing was too tall so I had needed to buy a new ring. Add up the cost of that lot and it would become quite an expensive bike. Probably my favourite road frameset I've ever owned, but I wish I could have bought the frame on it's own.