Planet X Model B Wheels

rozzer32
rozzer32 Posts: 3,832
edited April 2010 in Road buying advice
Need a new set of wheels for the winter bike and looking at the model b from planet x. Can you run a shimano 8 speed on them or not?
***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****

Comments

• Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    Might be a question for the guys at PX
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    wuld of thought they would not of used 10 speed only hubs. Would give them a shout or email as the above chap suggests to :) there good answering queries
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    1st set I got were 9 or 10 speed, last set I got were 10 speed only, so do check, and I think you have to specify 9 speed or you may get 10 speed by default.

(If using a 10 speed cassette, you really need a 10 speed hub, as although a 9 speed will fit, there is an issue with all brands of aluminium 9 speed freehubs allowing 10 speed cassettes chewing into the splines; 10 speed have taller splines).
  • Guz
    Guz Posts: 45
    PX website states 9 or 10 speed.....

No mention of 8 speed.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    rozzer32 wrote:
    Need a new set of wheels for the winter bike and looking at the model b from planet x. Can you run a shimano 8 speed on them or not?

yes
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • alfablue
    Guz wrote:
    PX website states 9 or 10 speed.....

No mention of 8 speed.
    8 speed will fit on a 9 speed hub; a 9 or 10 speed hub can pose problems with 9 speed cassettes (see above).

PX have supplied 9/10 speed hubs and 10 speed only at different times, so I think it would pay to contact them to confirm your actual requirements, and (not in this case I know), if you are intending to use a 10 speed cassette then I strongly advise you to ask for a 10 speed only hub, not a 9/10.
  • daveydave43
    daveydave43 Posts: 200
    am i right in thinking that 8, 9, 10 and 11 cassettes were designed with the same freehub width i.e the spockets themselves and the spacings got narrower.
    therefore you should be okay with an 8 spd on a 10spd hub

sheldon will have the answer
    Go for the break
    Create a chaingang
    Make sure you don't break your chain
  • alfablue
    10 speed only Shimano freehubs have taller splines, so 8/9 won't fit them. 9/10 speed freehubs will take 9 speed and 8 speed. If using a 10 speed cassette on a 9/10 speed hub, and the cassette is designed for taller splined 10 speed only freehubs, and the freehub is aluminium (not steel, as Shimano are), then there is a risk of the cassette sprockets chewing into the freehub (the smaller sprockets that aren't part of the carrier). This can be reduced by fastening the cassette lockring very tightly, or by getting some American Classic "clips" (or by using Shimano steel freehubs).
  • lemon63
    lemon63 Posts: 253
    Just looked on PX's website and their Model B's have gone up from £99.99 to £129.99. Bit gutted cos was about to buy a set.
    :(
    By the way they will take an 8 speed cassette, you just have to add a note in the Special Delivery instructions that you require 8/9 speed compatible wheels, I had an email from Ian their tech guy stating this.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    they do that! best to grab them at 99 quid ...
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    They had to do that to pay for their new website :D
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    I just got in at 99! woo-hoo!
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • Mikey1280
    Mikey1280 Posts: 76
    Was their a conclusion to this problem? Has anyone tried them with 8speed?
  • lemon63
    lemon63 Posts: 253
    Yes I've just bought a set and fitted an 8 speed SRAM cassette with no problems.