Shoes

Theaudiobully
Theaudiobully Posts: 32
edited March 2010 in Road beginners
Hi,

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good pair of standard cycling shoes?

I'm new to cycling and as of yet don't have clipless pedals so shoes with cleats are out of the question.

The cheaper the better (I’m not tight, just short on cash at present) :lol:

Thanks,

Comments

• JackCB
    JackCB Posts: 92
    All cycle shoes I'm aware of are designed to be worn with cleats, as far as I'm aware.

If you don't want to go clipless, your best bet is to find a comfy shoe with as stiff a sole as possible. Obviously it has to have enough grip to stay on the pedal. Trainers aren't ideal because they're designed with cushioning, but to be honest they'll work fine.
  • my first step was to use toe clips and straps, i got a pair of boxing shoes by everlast (as they had a narrow toe bit which fitted into the straps better than my normal trainers)
    but yeah a stiffer sole is better as it negates the loss of energy due to unneddecary flexing of your foot.

or so i am lead to beleive

James
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You could go for some mountain biking shoes - look ok, and have a pretty stiff shoe and you can fit spd cleats to them for the future. But you need to try on for comfort.
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    Have a look in the Lidli's near you as they had some for £18.99 that could take spd's when you are ready but have a rubber plate in until you do.