Selkirk CRC Marathon

boneyjoe
boneyjoe Posts: 369
edited August 2010 in XC and Enduro
Hi there. Just signed up for this in August. Anyone done it before, and have any particular tips? Hoping to do the 100km in around 6hrs, but that might be a bit ambitious! Is it a good course; any particular bits to watch out for? All advice much appreciated! :wink:
Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)

Comments

• clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Did it a few years ago. Cracking course, my favourite of what used to be the Merida MTB series. Great "dual slalom" type down hill at the end, but with a huge climb up through Innerleithen just before that!

The beginning is a bit muddy but overall great route.

I've only done the 75k version, I have heard that the 100k doesn't add much in the way of fun riding but does add a LOT of pain!
  • boneyjoe
    Cheers, thanks for the above clanton. Anyone else perhaps done it?
  • boneyjoe
    Hi there. Any updates on the course, likely conditions etc? Under 2 weeks to go now, and looks like it rains almost every day up there!

And any advice on tyres? Thinking about running a Ron on the front (at about 35psi) with a Ralph on the back (at about 40psi), but may go for Rons all round if it keeps raining.

And how does the start work? I understand there is a lead out car for the first couple of km, but is there any form of gridding at all? Keen to avoid starting too far back if possible.

Thks! :wink:
  • streako
    streako Posts: 2,937
    If you are a reasonably quick xc rider then under 6 hours should be possible. The top guys will be around 4 hours.
    Its a great event. I have done it twice. There are some sections that are quite technical, especially in light of the wet weather. It usually rains beforehand anyway, making easy sections become very slippery. Much harder on a race bike also.
    There isnt a gridding system as such, but faster riders and racers should move up to the front, and you may need to be there 30 minutes before official start.
    Last time I did it there was a good car lead out over a few miles of tarmac which stretched out the field and I got to the first tricky sections unimpeded. The first time I did it I was way down the pack and got stuck behind riders who struggled on the steep bridleway climb after the tarmac. There are other sections which always catch people out and a degree of technical ability is reqired in the wet.

Tyre wise, I would avoid a front that clogs in mud. I used a Fire XC pro on the front last time and it was washing out all over the place. A Ralph on the back should be fine.

Another bit of advice would be to take a portable jet wash. There is usually a massive queue at the Rugby club to use their hoses and you could be waiting ages.

Good luck. I wish I was doing it.
  • boneyjoe
    Cheers, thanks Streako - most helpful. My other queries are how much kit to carry, and how much water / energy drink? For kit, I prefer travelling really light, so am thinking just puncture repair for a couple of punctures. And for drink, I'm tempted to go for just 1 water bottle (hate the extra weight!), but there's a 35km section between two feed stations with two big climbs, that worries me a bit re dehydration etc. Any thoughts / advice on this much appreciated!
  • streako
    I would recommend 2 bottles at the least. I used a camelback, but most racer types will just use bottles and basic puncture kit under saddle.
    There is energy drink available at the feed stations, but, unless you get there first there could be a queue. When I tried it, it was very dilute also. I did see guys filling their bottles though.

Bananas are usually available, although later on they get poor quality. Sometimes there are bits of energy bar, usually broken up, or biscuits or crisps. It has always been hit or miss as to what you will find, so best to take your own. I have done 5 of these in total and there is no guarantee of decent fayre.

Best take energy gels, which are pretty light and be taped to the bike.
  • streako
    Make sure you have new brake pads in before the day. If it rains they will probably be shot by the finish line!
  • boneyjoe
    Thanks Streako - most helpful! Fitted some new brake pads last night, and have my secret recipe, home made energy bars ready!

Do you perhaps know if you can leave a bag (with some dry clothes etc) at the start / finish? Family will drop me off, but won't want to hang around all day, and might not be there exactly when I finish, so would be helpful if possible.

Thanks again! :D
  • myopic
    myopic Posts: 692
    Cheers for the link to this thread boneyjoe - I had similar questions in another one!

Streako - I'm running a HighRoller ST 2.35 on the front at the moment, but its such a draggy tyre I'm goin to swap it for a Nevegal 2.1DTC - do you think good plan/bad plan?

The route details on the website are so vague as to be almost useless! I had been thinking about meeting up with my wife to get lunch, fresh drinks etc, but in the absence of a map, I've no idea where to arrange this! Any info about where the route crosses roads or recognised trails woudl be really useful if anyone knows, thanks!
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision
  • boneyjoe
    Cheers Myopic. Not tried the Nevegal's, but they look pretty good for this. Looks like it'll be quite wet (and cold) from the long-range forecast.

Re the map, I think they'll give you one at the sign-on (did at my last Merida, though this was in Wales a couple of years ago). If you go at a quieter time on Saturday, they might also be able to give some advice on the best spot for your wife to meet you. If you're doing the full distance, I'd guess the food stop at 35km might work? - doesn't look too remote from the profile.
  • I did the 85km last year and rode most of it again last week on my own.

Last week's conditions were drying after a few rainy days in the preceding week. Theres a real mix of surfaces - two longish grassy climb at the beginning that can sap energy but it seems to improve once from about 2 hrs in. There was (and if the course stays the same this year - still is) a couple of real muddy downsloping sections each a few hundred meters long. You could walk these if required. Note that the further back the field you are the muddier your ride will be as some of the grassy bits get well chewed up after a few hundred pairs of knobby tyres!

Tyre choice is of course personal but after 6 hours in the saddle I'd be more likely to remember a draggy tyre than some step up or something that I didnt clear due to traction. I used a Rocket Ron on the front and a Ralph on the rear and will probably keep them but if if it stays dry here until Sunday (and the forecast looks good:) ) I may change to Small Block 8's.

I'd echo the comments about the food stations being ok - but dont totally rely on them. The longest distance between stops for me was 90mins- I used 2 water bottles. The start was a relaxed affair - certainly the second half of the grid anyways. Apparently there was a cutoff somewhere around to 40km mark where if you dont get there by a certain time they ask you to change to one of the shorter distances, but the time allowed seems generours.

As for leaving a bag - the setup within the rugby ground is pretty relaxed and if it was me and there was nothing valuable in it then ask in the signon tent (they're pretty helpful).

Heres's a link to last years route - rumour has it (signs going up etc) that it may be a bit different this year: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/10548078

Edit: that link may not work. If anyone really want to see it let me know and I'll try and figure out another way.
  • I'm doing Selkirk as well and feeling a bit nervous about it. Did the 50km course at Grassington but decided to push myself a bit more this time and go for the 75km. Unfortunately I then neglected to train for most of July so I suspect this weekend is going to bring on a world of pain but hey, at least the forecast is better for this one :D

I took way too much stuff for Grassington, lots of food that I didn't touch, so this time I'm just going to have my 2l camelbak, energy gels and a bag of nuts and raisins. And emergency marzipan just in case!
    Small fat weak punter
  • myopic
    Thanks Couldawouldashoulda, that link worked great and really useful. Looking at your elevation data profile, its pretty much the same as what is on the website except for the last 5-10k. What would be really useful would be to know where the feeding stations are (or were), could you post this up please? Cheers!

Does the route into Inners join the Cadon Bank descents before moving into the red XC climb up onto Minch Moor?

Cheers!
  • Hi Myopic,

I signed on tonight and got a printed version of the (100/85km) course profile and it's noticably different to last year. It seems the top of first climb is different and the second climb is totally differnt (gets to over 500m). Also the last section after minch moore is differnt - it looks like the motocross drop from the SUW is dropped - perhaps in favour something like a return to the 3 Brethern, This seems to tie in with the local signs going up.

Ultimatley though - its the same amount of climbing - but- BIG BUT - if the new printed profile is to be believed the second climb is a b***ard in return for the climbs near the end being easier.

About feed stops: I wrote a wee report for myself last year so here's what I wrote:
    Skipped first pit stop at approx 20km.
    Filled at 35km:
    Next at 55km. Filled again. Slightly thirsty at this one.
    Next at 70km. Filled again.
    Skipped 76km.
    2 pee stops.

Yes the course meets Caddon Bank. But. You may know its exciting - and if you're planning sending 500 folk of mixed expieriece barrelling down it...Mmmm. The offiial course meets Caddon Bank about 5m or 10m east of the usual Red XC course and descends through some real steep rooty off camber bits. Nice and slow. Technical.It rejoins the usual course after 200m (avoinding the exciting drops and the roller coaster bit). If you know what you're doing I guess you could get lost and and go the sligfhtly longer route??? Either way you end back at Innerz car park for the climb back to Minch Moore.

Weather wise today- a few soft showers and the same expected for the next few days so the going should be good! Warm and humid in Selkirk today!

email me if you want more details.

Ronan

PS - Sorry for the spelling - I'm on my iphone ::)
  • Broonster
    Broonster Posts: 440
    If you can see things that small (!), then here's a photo of the route. Picked it up on another local forum, so haven't seen the detail myself for tomorrow:

38397419415419708594024.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • myopic
    Thanks for the details, Ronin! Hope you did well. Meet-ups went as planned so all in all it was a great day out. Big bonus was finishing before the torrential rain started!
  • AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
    Top day, top course, top organisation!!

One of teh best days on teh bike!!
    Specialized S Works Venge
    Argon18 E114
    Specialized Langster Single Speed
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
    http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk
  • titus4t
    titus4t Posts: 33
    Sportive pics are now available at http://www.rightplacerighttime.co.uk/

I've just about finished sorting/tweaking the CRC pics and am about to upload them to the server before I tag them with rider numbers. In the meantime I've put a small selection on my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/rightplacerighttimecouk/129727983735000
  • Broonster
    Broonster Posts: 440
    Has to be said - the CRC course was awesome! I had an absolute blast, although the last 10-15km (of the 75) was painful for me! Weather was just perfect too, although I know it chucked with rain after I finished.

Can't wait until next year's event now! :D
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • boneyjoe
    Excellent event - thoroughly enjoyed it - great mix of endurance and technical aspects - though knees were suffering a bit afterwards! - granny ring saw some use for a change.

Felt chuffed to complete the long course in 5:34 - then saw Nick Craig finished in 3:48 - must try a bit harder next year!